Author Topic: Advocacy for Formal Language Instruction  (Read 50594 times)

madgirl09

• View Profile
Re: Advocacy for Formal Language Instruction
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 10:20:51 PM »
OMG! I never ever said "Para po". It has always been just Paaaaaa----ra (in a sweet voice), or sometimes, "Dyan lang po sa tabi". The culture that immediately surrounds you is what affects your behaviour or what you do. You get "scorn" if you acted so differently. Sometimes, the expectation of the person you are speaking with counts as well. Young "Bagets" drivers do not want to be seen as a lot older than passengers. They get offended being treated as belonging to another age bracket. I myself would feel offended if a friend or neighbor just within my age would call me "Ate", or say "Opo or Po" to me. Appropriateness extends to choosing a language based on the speakers, status, language, interests, etc. not only occasion, topic or upbringing (a lot more ?)

These days, acting childish is "cute". To others, sounding rude is like having a good sense of humor. The problem is, some people just do not care about people evesdropping or surrounding, and are often tactless, even if they are aware of the norms of etiquette. You even get ridiculed if you appear a stark contrast to the new group you are joining in. In societies like where I am now, "blending in" is the key to a better social life...or you live alone....... Just don't judge me by my friends' norms. :-\

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
On the "Speak English Only" policy in campuses
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 11:53:19 PM »
As far as English language education is concerned I know that there used to be schools that penalized kids for not speaking in English. I am not sure if this is still the case though.

In call centers, many executives noticed the need to reinforce the English language proficiency of new recruits that then impose "English Only Policies" in office premises in order to drive the use of English in ordinary conversations. In fact, the initial part of call center training would always be an English language crash course.

So now I ask people, where do we stand?

I hear that some high schools today do have an “Speak English Only” policy inside the campus, but I don’t know precisely which schools and what penalty system is imposed on violators. If any Forum member knows a particular school that currently imposes such a policy, please share the information with us.

Many years ago, when I was still a primary school pupil, I had a direct personal experience with such a policy. I recounted that experience in an essay I wrote in 2004 that I posted in this Forum last May 30. To read it, simply click the link below.

Read “English in a Used Jar” now!

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 09:57:29 AM »
Almost every school has a "Speak English only" policy. The policies just differ in their enforcement. Private schools are more strict when it comes to the use of English. When I was teaching in a Chinese private school in Manila, the policy was "Speak Chinese and English Only". The Filipino teacher woud often complain, but the administration kept pointing out the advantage of producing English-Chinese proficient students. The Catholic-run Filipino school was not that serious in forcing students to keep speaking English outside the classroom, but the students, out of peer pressure (middle-income families) would code-switch or mix English-Tagalog codes in their social conversations.

Not only private schools now but also public schools in the provinces, like in my hometown in Pangasinan, have now enforced "Speak English and Tagalog Only" policy. That's because the local language is Ilocano.

I grew up in classrooms with teachers who aimed to provide more English-speaking environment for their students, when that valuable experience was insufficient outside the school. In the province elementary school, the monitors collected 10 cents for each sentence spoken in Ilocano. Then in a high school in Pasay, English teachers made each and everyone of us to act as "spy", to record secretly the Tagalog words uttered by our classmates, and we report later the long lists of speakers-utterances on an unsigned paper. Just my own experience...These policies can't be applied in Japan yet. 

renzphotography

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 12:15:37 AM »

Actually saying "po" or "opo" in the context of social behavior inside a jeepney (or any public transportation for that matter) is just one aspect in the language (or etiquette) paradigm shift that we have observed and are trying to sort out.

On the surface we see these shifts in behavior over generations. However, more than just saying oh-before-we-used-to-do-things-this-way-but-now-people-do-it-in-another-way, in this forum, I think we should be more interested in pinpointing the root causes of the shift for better understanding and hopefully from there we would know how to move forward.

Interestingly, our dear moderator has shown us through the narration of his personal experience how a system of punishment (I see no direct reward in the jar rule although the indirect benefits are aplenty) has benefited him and his schoolmates many summers ago. The examples offered by Madgirl09 like spying among peers and how modern behavior was shaped by the emotional need to belong to the group are also worth taking note of. 

Lately, I came across a few articles that might help us understand what we are dealing with as far as the process of learning moral behaviors is concerned. In the link below readers will find a crash course in moral development from noted psychologists such as Piaget, Kohlberg, Turiel and Gilligan.

http://tigger.uic.edu/~lnucci/MoralEd/overview.html

renzphotography

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 08:03:13 AM »

I'm sure people who monitor the American music industry are aware of the scandal onstage during the recent Video Music Award. Just after the Best Female Video award was handed to Taylor Swift a male artist called Kayne West rudely walked onto stage, grabbed the microphone (depriving Swift of her moment of glory) and announced his disagreement with the awarding decision and hailed a music video of another female artist who was in the audience.

I researched on similar incidents in the past but mostly these were confined to incoherent impromptu speeches, insensitive remarks resulting in backstage fights, or at worse onstage antics. Kayne West's behavior is definitely objectionable but could this be a manifestation of what Madgirl09 had described as the being-rude-is-cool attitude in one of her posts in this forum?

Who could be the most influential figure that promoted this attitude? James Dean during the 60's personified the 'rebel without a cause' look but I don't suppose people at that time behaved badly.

During the 80's everyone's favorite bad boy was no other than John Patrick McEnroe, the American Grand Slam tennis player who was known for arguing with judges, wrecking tennis rackets on court, and basically behaving like a brat. Well, I haven't seen anyone wreck a tennis racket or complain to judges the way he did so I don't think his brand of angst had a following.

Rock stars are known for exuding rebellious attitudes and looks but they sure behave well during awarding ceremonies.

Why is this happening and who is to blame?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:06:36 AM by renzphotography »

renzphotography

Possible Cultural Problem in Having a "First-Name-Basis" Environment
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 07:46:42 PM »
As contact with Westerners grow (especially in business) many Filipinos experience working in business environments that are so-called "first-name-basis". This simply means dropping titles and using the first name instead of the last when referring to other people including seniors.

This usually goes along with the "open door" policy where the organization encourages employees to approach managers and other officers to discuss work-related matters in a more friendly and conducive atmosphere. This is promoted in the belief that open discussion will foster a healthy and more productive work environment.

The problem with having a "first-name-basis" environment is that to most Asian cultures this is quite disrespectful. It is an Asian tradition to revere elders and the "first-name-basis" attacks this tradition to the core.

In fact, here is an article that highlights the theme:

http://talentegg.ca/incubator/2009/07/east-vs-west-getting-used-to-being-on-a-first-name-basis-with-my-boss/

Coupled with the "open door" policy I wonder if these are the precursors of behaviors described by some as "being too familiar"--that is when recently acquainted people behave as if they are close friends already. Or, are these the roots of the behavior where people eavesdrop and butt in other people's conversations? 

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:19:10 PM by Joe Carillo »

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 07:09:38 AM »
Herewith the first two pars from an internet advertisement extolling the virtues of a well-known teaching institution:

THE MANILA TIMES LANGUAGE INSTITUTE (TMTLI) is a language school that will equip student with American English skills and proficiency. Language Modules offered are the best and finest in the global market.

THE MANILA TIMES LANGUAGE INSTITUTE (TMTLI) is a language school that will equip student with American English skills and proficiency. Language Modules offered are the best and finest in the global market.

I suppose repetition is a valid form of teaching, but "best and finest"....?

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 07:18:17 AM »
Another gem from the same organisation:

The Manila Times Language Institute, Inc. thru its sister company elearning System Phils. signs a contract with Center for Allied Paramedical Studies, Inc of Bacolod, Davao & Cebu provinces of respectively for Rx online NCLEX-RN SUCESS and ECLP for contact center training launch. eLSP Managing Director Michael M. Ang poses with CAPSI President Juan Jake Marques.

Sheesh!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 04:34:04 PM »
I suppose repetition is a valid form of teaching, but "best and finest"....?

A compounded modifier like “best and finest” may be anathema to journalism, but it’s actually commonplace in advertising where a certain degree of exaggeration for emphasis is allowed or even expected. Remember the title of the late David Halberstam’s fine book about the Vietnam War, The Best and the Brightest? We couldn’t really be too sure that the young American foreign policy makers who had engineered America's involvement in that war were “the best and the brightest,” but why bother to argue against such a subjective and general claim? I think we can appreciate the use of “best and finest” in that advertising pitch in the same light.

At any rate, we need to keep in mind that the adjectives “best” and “finest” are actually measures of different attributes or properties. “Best,” the superlative for “good,” is obviously meant here to denote the attribute the property of “offering or producing the greatest advantage, utility, or satisfaction”; on the other hand, “finest” here means very precise and accurate—a distinct attribute that the advertiser obviously feels describes the institute’s language instruction. I therefore think that we really couldn’t dispute an advertising claim like “best and finest” unless we can produce an adequate set of facts indicating the contrary.

As to your comment about the caption in that advertising placement, the statement is indeed garbled--a very common problem with captions, I must say. Let's hope that the people at the institute will notice it and make the much-needed rewrite.

renzphotography

Decadent Art
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 05:48:53 PM »
The writer is the starting point in any literary craft or endeavor there is. He brings with him the style and conventions of prose and/or poetry and with the help of a muse he then adds his intellect, dreams, and perhaps even his pain in order to create a literary piece worthy of remembrance. Such is true for the printed form of literary work notwithstanding the influence of the editor and the publisher.

However, there is one creative field where the writer's creativity remains very critical and yet he does not take center stage, the performing arts.

Script writers are charged with the responsibility of developing the narrative backbone of movies. However, once the manuscript is approved for production the film director takes the helm and gains creative control over anything and everything in the film set.

But what happens when there is a shortage of good writers? Based on my observation movies and television shows (and even music) resort to the following to attract audiences:

(1) Special effects and graphic violence
Many movies (and even television shows) make up in special effects and flashy action scenes what is lacking in the film narrative. While there is a genre called "action movies" where the story is told mainly through action scenes rather than dialog one could only compare the action movies of today compared to the action movies in the 50's and 60's. Viewers could still see the depth in the story telling through the limited dialog and the progression of action scenes. Today, flashy scenes seem to be everything.   

In music, we get inundated with techno wizardry and over bearing musical arrangement to cover up for the lack of good lyrics. There is also the preponderance of violence in today's rap music.

(2) Sex
There is a big difference between a movie with a romantic twist and a movie with too much focus on the physical act of sex in the story line. One way to distinguish the two is by measuring how much time is spent on sex scenes than anything else. Another way is by asking one's self will the story line hold if the sex scenes were dropped? If the answer is no then we have a poorly written movie.

While romance was a topic in many songs in the past, there were no direct reference to the sexual act itself and private body parts. Nowadays, it is quite common to hear songs with very adulterated lyrics.

(3) Toilet humor and goo
Directors know that for a film to be popular viewers must be able to relate with the characters or the scenes. They also know that to draw a response one must add scenes that will solicit instant reactions--hence the icky and gooey scenes. Unfortunately, many cartoon shows capitalize on the amount of goo in order to attract kiddie audiences. 

I was appalled to hear how many Filipino rap music nowadays use words that should not be uttered in public. Disgusting to say the least.

(4) Rip offs
When all else fails then just copy or re-hash a successful work in the past. While this is common in the movie industry this practice has reached biblical proportions in the music industry with so many songs partially or fully copied from old hits.

A young girl once argued that we should welcome this because at least younger people will be exposed to good works of art even if these were not performed by the original artists, and I agree with her. However, this simply underpins how much creativity and originality has suffered.

Unfortunately, writers in the performing arts are still regarded as secondary in importance. We could only be reminded by the importance of writers with the 2007-2008 Writers Guild of America (East and West) strike over short changing allegations on residual income from DVD and animation royalties.

In the Philippines, would-be television scriptwriters are discouraged by rumors of plagiarism by television station in-house writers.

As for musicians, I would rather see more hit remakes than the unsavory alternatives I have outlined above.

In the end, the masses get nothing less than a bombardment of tasteless and second rate entertainment. No wonder, more and more people are having callous, violent, and adulterated sensibilities and dispositions.

Are all these tell-tale signs of how much we have retrogressed as far as  communication arts education? If so, what could be done about it?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:40:15 AM by renzphotography »

renzphotography

When low art is high art
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 08:43:54 PM »
There was a time when literature as popularized by comics or animated series was regarded as a low form of art not worthy of serious study or edification as a fine form of literary expression such as poetry, short fiction, novels, scripts, etc.

It could be viewed as a way for the so-called literary or intellectual elites to set themselves apart from the so-so artists. Some argue that these "low" art forms have not reached that critical level of refinement in order to develop classics or stellar samples of the art form on which other works could be measured upon.

To my mind, animation and comics are simply mediums of expression, much like comparing oil to water color painting, or colored to black and white photographs. What matters is how much the artist has mastered the medium and how developed his artwork is.

Since the 60's we see movies and television series based on American cartoon and animation characters. It began with Batman and Robin, Superman, and The Incredible Hulk. Then in the 90's it was followed by Spiderman, Garfield, Dennis the Menace, and now we even have movies based on Japanese animation series like Dragon Ball-Z, Final Fantasy etc. Lately, I have read that even Astroboy will be turned into a movie. So what is next Voltes 5, Naruto?

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/223908/asias-astro-boy-set-take-hollywood.

In the Philippines we had comic series like Darna, Captain Barbell, Zuma, etc. which were eventually turned into movies. Part of the criticism against Carlo J. Caparas before he became a National Artist was the fact that he had been a cartoonist whose works were eventually featured in movies. A case of people from high art circles not wanting to mix with so-called low art people if you ask me.

What this tells me is simply this, writers evolve and even if their initial method of introducing their narratives came in the form of comics or animation, with enough proof of success in their narrative or story formulas eventually their works will be acknowledged with the matching movie offers and perhaps even regarded as high art.

Not to say that having these works turned into movies is a seal of quality but who knows? Maybe the next Oscar winner for Best Picture will be a movie based on an animated series. It came close with Heath Ledger's post humous award for his participation in a Batman sequel.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 01:19:34 AM by renzphotography »

renzphotography

An extension of the speak-English-only policy
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 12:14:04 AM »

I think one grossly overlooked factor in education is reinforcement at home. It is generally believed that a home environment conducive to education shall promote optimum learning among children.

The underlying psychological explanation for this lies in the "positive reinforcement" element that is crucial in mental conditioning. This goes beyond the carrot-and-stick approach and includes removing distractions to education among others.

One active way parents could participate is through teaching by showing examples because parents (and perhaps other adults in the community) are the living examples children acquire behaviors from.

So what does this PTA talk have to do with teaching English? Based on observation, the most effective way kids could learn English is when they see their parents communicate properly in the language. When I say properly, I mean cut the baby talk and speak the language properly before kids.

I know of many cases where kids of educated but impoverished government employees have acquired quite an enviable grasp of the English language and this came to being only through the strict use of English in the household by all members, except the nanny. Perhaps this could be viewed as an extension of the speak-English-only policy, which is promoted in some schools.

This also explains how some Filipinos who were born and raised abroad could surprise us with their grasp of the Filipino language simply because they spoke Filipino with their parents.

While I have seen this in varying levels and styles I think the best way to promote English at home is to speak complete sentences and pronounce the words properly. Again, drop the baby talk or the use of the language in the typical Filipino lullaby intonation.

My father was a member of a varsity oration team. I remember him speak to us in English with all the conviction and the matching hand gestures to prove his points. He was very good at extemporaneous speeches and he could readily explain through lucid examples his ideas that were far too advanced for us when we were growing up.

I think this is the best solution to the how-to-learn-English question without putting the burden on school teachers. This way, parents could play a more proactive role in promoting the language.

renzphotography

A learned tongue
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 06:08:25 AM »
A learned tongue is hard to come by, as one friend pointed out. While public speaking today is greatly reduced as far as formality is concerned one cannot help but wonder at how well people in the past were able to compose and explain their thoughts in a convincing manner.

I am awed each time I watch the speeches of Gen. MacArthur, Pres. Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and perhaps even the speeches of Pres. Marcos (some of which lasted for more than an hour without reading any cue cards) in Youtube. I just wonder where they got their choice of words and eloquence.

While we ordinary mortals could only dream of having the skills to communicate in these superlative degrees we could do something that might help us get close--learn proper word pronunciation and sentence intonation.

While there is such a thing as Filipinism in expressions, the same exists as far as word pronunciation and sentence intonation. The combination of regional accents plus improper English language education got many educated Filipinos speaking like how many of our law makers in congress, awful sounding though grammatically correct.

While the website of Merriam and Webster dictionary http://www.m-w.com contains audio recordings for each word in order to guide us with the proper pronunciation, I have yet to see a free online material that would help us fix our sentence intonations.

How I wish that one day I could listen to government officials speak English in a neutral accent or hear local celebrities speak English without the ahhhs and ummmhhhsss, and fillers such as "like", "you know" and other words that they think would sound cute in a sentence.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:01:51 PM by renzphotography »

renzphotography

Back to the Classics
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 09:57:49 PM »
As people gain a grasp on the rudiments of the English language, to my mind, it is only natural to read classic literature next. As in any art form, once a student learns the rudiments of technical execution and style, it only follows for the student to study and emulate the works of the masters so that someday his works too will show the trimmings of a master.

I always believed in studying how an art form has evolved starting from the classics, to the modern, and then the post modern age.

Clearly, the works of classic American writers are enough to show us what vivid description and superb choice of words mean. Yet, if these are not enough then readers are always free to study the works of British masters. In fact, the Filipinos of older generations who spoke English so eloquently have read many works of American and British writers.

One problem I see nowadays is that people skip the classics and jump right into the modern and post-modern works.

I was once presented a piece of poetry by a Palanca award winner. Though the woman has distinguished herself for winning an award from that foundation for her poetry, the piece she presented to me was purely rubbish. Of course, I didn't want to offend her so then I asked how many times she edited the work. It was never edited to my surprise for it was the first draft. Furthermore, she has no plans of editing it either. She explained that she emulated James Joyce's  "stream of consciousness" style of writing.

I studied a bit of poetry writing myself and I have encountered the free verse and stream of consciousness style before but without imposing any form of structure there is still good writing and bad writing.

What I didn't like about the piece she showed me was not bad grammar, nor the lack of structure, nor the lack of substance, it was merely the sloppiness of the sentences that were written at the spurt of the moment without any hint of conciseness and focus, characteristics commonly found in classic writing.

As for common people like us, we could read the online classic novels compiled by our dear moderator in this forum and see just how well written these are. Let us start with Moby Dick.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:00:59 PM by renzphotography »

renzphotography

Back to refinement and gentility
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 08:49:01 AM »

If people speak their minds, and if people speak in foul terms, then, could it be said that these people have unrefined sensibilities?

This simple line of reasoning may have more to it. For instance, what determines a refined sensibility, is it education or could it be something else?

I ask myself these because in many cases I have observed people who are well educated and yet foul minded (and foul mouthed) and yet there are those who are seemingly less educated (or uneducated) but show more gentility.

While the old fashioned notion of chivalry is dead and far from ressurected I think it takes more than following ideals of gentility blindly to make a person refined.

Two contrasting images prominently comes to mind, the first is that of an educated person who yells at his subordinates and brazenly throws his weight around wherever he goes thinking he is above the law and could get away with everything. This is the type who speaks with a loud voice unnecessarily and thinks most people are below him and behaves in a boorish manner before those he considers to be low.

The second image is that of an illiterate man who always smiles and courteously greets anyone he speaks with. One who is careful with his words and quite aware of the feelings of the people around him.

These are extreme images for sure but perhaps many would conlcude that the first example suggests a rich and powerful person and the second example pertains to a poor old man from the province who is quite unaware of how things are in the big city. From my observation, in fact the two examples do not fit exclusively into any economic status. A boorish man might be rich or poor just as much as a gentleman.

So what sets them apart? After much though, I believe it is in the possession of two beliefs, that of humanism and aestheticism.

Humanism is the belief that people should strive for dignity and personal improvement, while Aestheticism is the belief that people should pursue what is beautiful and harmonious.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aestheticism
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/humanism

Once these two beliefs are inculcated in the value system of individuals, I honestly believe that people will in turn become more refined and this higher state of being will be manifested in every manner of speech and behavior transcending economic status and education levels.