Author Topic: Advocacy for Formal Language Instruction  (Read 61465 times)

renzphotography

Speaking Properly
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 10:22:37 PM »
The English language can be expressed in two manners, written and spoken. While much has been discussed about proper grammar in this forum I have decided to focus on improving spoken English.

While the use of spoken English is not as formal as it used to be it is definitely growing in importance and one need only look at the predominantly voice-based (call centers) business process outsourcing (BPO) industry in the country to see why.

Normally, call center agents are charged with the responsibility of providing customer service, soliciting sales, or even collecting to/from American consumers. Having been exposed to different types of speaking modes I could easily say that persuasive speech is commonly used for sales and collection. However, empathetic speech is more appropriate in customer service.

While each call center program/company is complemented with in-house training programs aimed at enhancing the appropriate speaking tone among its employees, it is important to note that the general public may still be able to enhance its speaking abilities without becoming part of a call center company.

The art of public speaking has always been the preferred training module for ages. While many sectors in the society are doing its bit of support in developing the English proficiency of average Filipinos, I think little has been done to promote this ancient art.

A quick browse in the internet would bring us to hundreds of articles on the elements of public speaking. A survey would lead one to conclude that the most common elements of public speaking are audience awareness, material preparation, and speech delivery (I have attached below a link to one such short article).

http://www.articlesbase.com/motivational-articles/five-elements-of-public-speaking-452076.html

However, if you have the inclination for a more detailed material, I would like to recommend this great online resource on public speaking. While I still believe that having a mentor is the best way to learn this art, I hope reading this resource entitled Elements of Public Speaking  by Harry Garfield Houghton would help everyone in this quest for proper language education.

http://books.google.com.ph/books?id=0p-MxuTTWzQC&dq=elements+of+public+speaking&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=Y-5dCNf9oE&sig=krc2MZhx_bmBdD2mtOx5WxMH7Ik&hl=tl&ei=S3n1SrWyOY_gswPE490d&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBEQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=&f=false
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:30:58 PM by renzphotography »

renzphotography

TO KNOW IS TO SAY
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2009, 08:57:07 AM »

The Chinese sage Lao Tzu promoted a maxim that is quite appropriate to our discussion and that is to know is to say. He believed that for a man to be considered truly wise and knowledgeable that man must be able to communicate and express his ideas before the people around him.

This brings us to an important topic called essay, which was originally derived from a French word that means "to explain".

To my mind, essay is a means of communication using a framework that consists of organization, examples, analogies, relationships, and other elements to help illustrate one's ideas.

I remember having formal and informal theme writing exercises in grade school. Back then, the school system saw the need to create an environment where students could practice expressing their thoughts and experiences.

I remember the time when the school principal played a Cultural Revolution style trick on sixth graders and asked us to write what we thought of the school and of the principal. I never thought the principal would read it so I wrote my heart away. Lo and behold, I was summoned to the principal's office the next day and after a tirade I was asked to bring my father as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, I learned from friends that today's grade school and high school curriculum do not include theme writing exercises anymore. So now, I wonder how kids could learn how to write effectively.

Then, it occurred to me that there is a more effective and ancient solution to this problem, keeping diaries/journals. This is perhaps the most fun and effective way to entice kids to write because kids will be writing about something that they know so well--their activities during the day.

Of course, we want to save trees and limit the use of paper, so the diaries to be kept must be electronic. Why not write and save daily emails/blogs/text files on what occurred during the day. Perhaps parents could require their kids to email daily "accomplishment reports" so they could keep a log on their kid's activities.

To those who are interested in developing their essay writing skills I have attached below a wonderful online resource that could help everyone improve.

http://www.essay-guide.net/types_of_essay.php

madgirl09

• View Profile
Re: Advocacy for Formal Language Instruction
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 03:11:37 PM »
Hi, Renz,
Is it true that formal theme writing is no longer required in our schools? I think, it was just 13 years ago when I was still drowning with piles of compositions to correct. Those were the times when my high school compositions were beginning to be longer than usual; research papers and term papers began to make school life a heavy burden even to parents. Lots of parents would come to the principal's office complaining why I require them to write term papers when they were not in college yet. I insisted that the fourth year level at least, submit a 'thesis-type" paper, of course, ...being "mad teacher", and nice teacher. Considering the fact that college teachers blame all students' weaknesses on high school teachers' inefficiencies (why don't they teach, not just test?), we in high school had to give at least a little of what the students would be doing in college. Anyway, after a few years, one parent came back to us and treated the faculty with a banquet for his son's winning an award in college thesis writing  :D. Golly, why do students achieve more than their teachers :-\.  Of course, Renz, there were some other writing tasks the students were required to hand in. We had weekly book reports, right? You won't believe me. Where I am studying now, there's a teacher (in this American Univ. ) who requires students to hand in a term paper each week, APA style, choosing from 4 topics to write about. I think, this is too much. Who could hand in a well-researched paper in one week? (Of course, in reality, we write  ours in just one sitting, right? ...Oh come on :D )  Good, I don't teach full time in any university, or else, I'd require poor students the same tasks too  ???  I need to pass on this anger Grrrr. >:(.....just kidding  ;D Generally, teachers are masochists. They keep asking students create impossible projects that would come back as headaches in the end.

renzphotography

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2009, 09:33:58 PM »
Hi Madgirl09,

I double checked and I think for the majority of public and private schools in the country written composition, be it in English or Filipino, has taken a backseat.

The general observation that I have gathered among parents is that many liberal arts subjects like social studies, history, English and Filipino language, etc. were simplified or compressed to give way to more math and science subjects in the belief that this way we could catch up with our more industrialized neighbors.

However, while we lament on the deteriorating liberal arts curriculum, you will be shocked to see 5th graders doing sophomore high school math and science.

I was also surprised to learn that economics is part of the senior high school curriculum.

Curiously, the government is believed to have improved the English language curriculum to support the call center industry. How this is manifested or carried out remains a mystery to me.

How I wish someone from the school system could update us in this forum.

++++++++++++++++++++

When college teachers rant about the inadequate communication abilities of their students I think they should blame the college's admission office more than anyone else. After all, the admission office determines who is qualified to enroll in the college program and not the high school teachers.  ;)

++++++++++++++++++++

As for the weekly term paper, I think it is taxing if you have a full load but it is doable nevertheless. I say this only because of the presence of the Internet and digital libraries.

Of course, during our time the Internet was virtually non-existent and most high school libraries do not have a full complement of books. A library would have a set of encyclopedia as its crowning glory, even more if it was the Encyclopedia Britannica.   

Otherwise, students could face a stiff challenge of conducting research in the National Library because getting a recommendation letter from the school librarian was tough enough, not to mention the difficulty of getting there if you live far away.

Good old days, huh?  :D

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Thesis for high school seniors? You are so wicked! ;D 

We actually came up with a thesis paper when I was in high school but this was required only from first section seniors (honors class). The paper followed a simple liberal arts thesis framework/methodology. Looking back it was no more than a long term paper but it was the experience that mattered because it helped us go through the more difficult research projects in college.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 12:22:09 AM by renzphotography »

renzphotography

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 09:03:12 AM »
Hi Madgirl09,

Here are some questions that I have been wanting to ask a teacher:

1. Is it true that for some teachers creating the reputation that they are strict and flunks students with no compunction is deliberate so that they could prop up their prestige?

2. Could the above be true because these teachers are after better remuneration or is it because they get pleasure from it?

When you reply please identify your own personal view as against your observation of your peers.

Thanks  ::)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:07:33 AM by renzphotography »

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2009, 04:24:25 PM »
That scene inside the lift, Renz, when you overheard those two young women talking candidly
about their personal habits is indeed something that many people don't consider anymore private
or taboo. The two high-profile people who started "true confessions" and made our personal lives
cheap would be Jerry Springer and Oprah Winfrey. The very reason that people talk off-the-cuff
about anything within hearing distance of others is now, or has now been considered "cool". This
is indeed sad. I myself wouldn't want to be talking about my lavatory habits in public  and not think of
what others would or might think. In this age of instant technology, our private lives have become
too open and too vulgar in the worst of times. I've recently joined the FB community after a two-
year "guerilla resistance", only to find out how useful and informative this instant media is. Meeting
so many highly-educated, sensible, practical people who can impress  ??? ???us with a smart repartee to enjoy
and reply to is also what I now look forward to. However, there are also many instances where trivial
and silly conversation----I wouldn't consider it discussion---also takes  place--and this is where text
message spelling really gets me. ::) ;D :-\

But, back to "true confessions". I just wish this nonsense stops and keep some of their private mysteries
intact and secret. I am for honesty and truthfullness, but there are things that do not need to be divulged
just because confessing nowadays has become the norm.--especiallly when it comes to personal  home-habits.

renzphotography

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2009, 10:12:01 PM »

Well Hill, I understand how you feel. Sometimes I wonder if people still know the meaning of the word "discreet".

In any case, I hope forums like this will help people get back to their senses.

vinzvonvan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 05:50:11 PM »
Our students are greatly influenced by modern technology and so many other factors.They’ve become impatient because everything can happen in a flash. They don’t even want to use longer words while writing (observe their messages on cellphones and Facebook, etc.)because they want to do everything fast.Inside the classroom, most students wouldn’t respond to a teacher’s question immediately, unless there is one who’s really focused on the lesson.
How can they learn the difference between formal and informal language if the focus of our education is in Math and Science?We don’t have to analyze words through these subjects.The focus is on the solution of a problem and of an experiment.They wouldn’t know how to explain if they lack the words to use to form the ideas.But our curriculum changes,in accordance with the changing times(DepEd huh!).We teachers only follow what is being ordered for us to do.Forget about the quality,let’s finish what should be done on time.
Well, like I’ve said,there are so many factors that affect the way how our youth speaks.It begins at home, then in their community, which includes the church,school,market,etcetera. Nowadays, both parents have to work,so who would teach the children at home?It can be the grandparents,relatives or the yayas.But will they be as concerned as far as the parents are?It’s hard to know if learning is really reinforced at home.
Within the community, do we know who their friends are?They talk to different people everyday,you’ll be surprised to hear words not spoken at home.And the teachers?Do they also explain the lesson using the formal way of communication?Some do,others don’t.When I substituted in a public school,some teachers talk just like the students.Imagine talking to fifty or more students multiplied to six sections!Teachers are the ones who adapt youth’s language.What a pity!
However, when I was in a Catholic school, teachers are more conscious of their speech and behavior.Of course, we’re afraid to hear complaints from parents, these will be demerits on our part.And there were more activities or seminars to update teachers of whatever is needed.
All of us should do our part so that formal language can be promoted to the youth and to those who don’t know how to use it.

renzphotography

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 08:11:34 AM »

What baffles me is how some Asian societies like those found in Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and Hong Kong could produce highly literate students despite more alternatives to entertainment, advancement in consumer electronics, and other distractions to education.

Could we be missing something here? Perhaps Madgirl09 could give us an idea on the life of a normal student in Japan. What is the focus of the curriculum? How does an ordinary student spend his day? How do they cope with stress?

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 09:12:21 AM »
renz, i will type a very long answer tonight. promise. i also am preparing for another long chatter in your other query about "teachers". i love to talk about these issues, but i can barely stand from my seat now due to the tons of books around me. how can i shake my madhead to yield golden ideas? after my classes at the grad. tonight, we'll discuss. 11 pm. japan time  ;D ;D ;D.

renzphotography

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2009, 07:10:57 AM »
Hi Madgirl09, I shall look forward to your golden ideas as you generate these one head shake at a time  ;D

For those of you who are not aware of it, Madgirl09 is a former high school teacher who is now happily living with her husband in Japan.

--------------------

After watching the sequel of blockbuster hit Twilight entitled New Moon, I was glad to see that Bella Swan, the main female protagonist, maintained an online diary to keep track of her thoughts each day.

I hope kids pick up this habit so they could develop their writing and composition skills.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 07:17:55 AM by renzphotography »

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2009, 09:49:20 AM »
Hi Renz,
It turned out, the "golden ideas" were just chunks of mud my jeans gathered as I raced against "salary men" who were in a hurry to go home after 14 hours of "slave labor" late last night. The streets at Minatoku, Tokyo, where the embassies are, just couldn't look so attractive during freezing temperatures worsened by drizzles of rain. Like a wet kitten, I just "purred" in one corner of the train station, waiting for the express train to arrive to take me home. During these moments, youd always wish for the warmth of the sunburnt Philippines, the true land of the rising sun, where the sun always rises...

Today, I will share you PART I  (chapter 1) of my long and winding whining and ranting....
You asked for my personal observation?

In general, it is not true that Japan creates better students, better than the Philippines. If we are to study 30 Japanese high school students, and 30 Filipino HS students of equal economic status and similar parental educational background, you'd be surprised to find out that Filipino students would achieve more. ;) . Let me give you some points of focus for a more guided discussion:

If these 60 high school students would go to college, and then graduate from their four-year university course, what are we likely to find out?

1. Filipino students would have better mastery of their majors and fields of study than the Japanese.

Despite the 12-year previous schooling (elem to high), Japanese students would yield poorer skills in
many of the aspects of their study. This is because, the university system here follows something
like the "mass promotion" in our public elementary education in the Philippines, allowing students to pass regardless of the degree of their educational achievement. Passing the high school and college entrance exam seems to be the most difficult tasks in their entire lstudent lives, not passing every course in high school or college. So you see how each school disregards their usual curriculum for a more exam-passing syllabus. Once you pass the entrance exam and you got into the Uni. system, that's already a sure ticket to getting a degree...you just pay your tuition ;D. (It makes me mad seeing girls and boys in the college nearby, conscious only of fashion  >:(, without anyone holding a book, notebook or anything...when in the Philippines, students read their books even in jeepneys. :) )

Filipinos get tougher requirements; they have to pass every subject, every quiz or test, so studying every day is important; if they fail the licensure exams, there is no guarantee to getting employed.

2. Filipino students are happier in their entire student lives than their Japanese counterparts.

Don't you know that there are about 980 suicide cases just among elementary and high students in Japan last year? Yearly, there are about 32,000 cases of suicides from children to seniors in Japan. (Do not envy life here. How do you measure success in life? ) What are the possible causes of these situations?

Apart from this bushido spirit of sacrifice and self-lessness affecting their contemporary lives, the absence of religion and strong faith just makes many think that life is useless if they are not happy or successful. Two out of ten individuals here have no religion, no God to fear or love....nothing to serve as inspiration. Though their mothers stay at home fulltime after marrying, their fathers come home late, burnt out of their daily jobs as "slaves" of the company that values "organization and work" better than family. No one complains (shoganai-can't do anything anyway) and everyone is trained to be patient and enduring (gaman).

There is lesser bullying in the Philippines, as we are more socially-inclined. The "grouping" system in Japan, and the idea that everyone must conform to the wants of the majority, make many young people bullied by groups, or feel depressed. To the Japanese, it is a taboo to talk about your personal feelings.

SO WHAT ARE THE ROOT CAUSES OF THIS JAPANESE BOOM AND MATERIAL SUCCESS THAT MANY COUNTRIES ENVY?

1. Japan controls the mind of their people through this bushido spirit towards uniformity, moving into just one direction, manned and supervised by the senior expert minority. The young, unskilled, and inexperienced, will eventually adopt the expertise of the seniors out of decades of training. But as they get trained, they are ever obedient, and working to the strict command of their "masters" (senpai).

The Philippines has lots of bright individuals moving in various, opposing directions making the flow of progress stagnant and static. Just imagine how we row our boat. And, although the Philippines creates highly-skilled individuals and rare experts, the country is happier to just send them abroad to find their own luck, research opportunities, and dig their own gold mines, live and help enrich their new homes. For the Philippines, it is more convenient to just open the gate, than think of ways to produce wealth for its people, or providing a green pasture for their citizens' abilities to thrive and yield economic effects for the country in return. It is a hopeless case freeing ourselves out of this colonial mentality- that we can not stand alone, that our own products and people are inefficient against others  >:(. Our government policy makers must adjust their principles to the current needs , and study the examples adopted by Korea, Singapore and China in making progress possible in just a short period of time.

2. Young people here just play "electronic games" and have less communication with their parents at home, but they are pampered with lunch rations in school providing them enough energy and nutrition to stand their lessons everyday, and play numerous sports throughout the week. No wonder they have pools of Olympians, while the Filipinos, able bodied and bigger, have no one to send except boxers. Japanese athletes are always Olympic contenders, but no one from the Philippines except in this "violent boxing sport" and so, theres Manny Pacquiao. Sports and sports products here  contribute so much income for the economy.

Probably, if the 40 million young people in Japan, and the 60 million young people in the Philippines would have equal economic status, have same nutrients digested every day, and our Philippine government re-educates itself and open its eyes to reality, we'd far surpass all other G8 countries  :D. No?

Japan is now sliding from number 2 to number 3 in economy, while China is getting towards the second slot. Japan's population is aging, and young people do not marry due to the worsening economic conditions, and lesser government support. Hopefully, with the new ruling party, family subsidies would encourage young people to start their own families, increase the population , and would produce more workers to stabilize pension and security system, and earn taxes to maintain the high standard of living.

NOW BACK TO YOUR ORIGINAL QUESTION...ARE STUDENTS HERE ANY BETTER?

1. The Japanese learn ideas though their mother tongue, but our Filipino youth, from childhood, suffer from numerous language barriers just to understand the foreign concepts.Japanese high schoolers' degree of understanding of any science or mathematical subject matter may be higher than that of any Filipino's comprehension at HS level due to English language barrier/difficulty. But the momentum is suddenly cut; Japanese high schoolers' energies and the school curriculum concentrations are then diverted into cramming for college entrance exams. These young people don't get productive until they are absorbed into companies and begin to be law-abiding, obedient, never complaining manpower even if many of them die of work exhaustion. Japans scientific and technological secrets lie in this principle. They have experts and hi-tech companies pampered by the government, so they could design world-class products funded by billions of their country's wealth. The Philippines never invests in its peoples scientific abilities and research. This results to the Filipinos' total reliance on other countries to provide coveted science and technology that runs modern life.

2. The Japanese youth enjoy the same forms of entertainment other adolescents of the world experience. The dominant and affecting factors lie in the way the surrounding society reacts to their welfare and situation, and the way their government supports their upbringing.

If we think the Filipino youth's education is not comparable to our neighbor nations' status because of the results of their second language proficiency, our analysis is flawed. Measuring their intellectual ability constitutes employment of various instruments, not just English competence. If we think that our youth has not achieved as much, basing our judgement on the current economy of the Philippines, and of the average family income, our assumptions are short-sighted. Somewhere between the start of the educational process...towards the end of work/economic results, are the policies and contributions of the government, work environments, society, religion, family....It is HOW we utilize our people's energy and potentials that affect much of our current state.

Well, I think I have chatted a lot longer today than usual.....Gtg....Time permits, I'll share more personal thoughts tomorrow. Apologies for my disorganized thoughts. Being "madgirl" is always an excuse for not writing well :P  :P :P

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2009, 10:19:46 AM »
oops, sorry. glaring mistakes....and my (' ) button sometimes doesn't work (or my fingers frozen?) :-[ ... patience...(gaman) ;D

renzphotography

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2009, 07:40:38 AM »
Whoaaa!!! :o  ;D I was knocked off my seat with your commentary Madgirl09. You have actually championed the Filipino youth against the Japanese. I must admit that I was expecting quite the opposite but your revelation is quite an eye opener.

I know a Filipino journalist who has been based in Japan for over a decade. One time, he told me about how the older Japanese generations are disappointed with the way the younger Japanese are turning out to be.

He said, many Japanese youth reject the idea of having corporate careers that will only lead them to working themselves to death. They would rather have fun, bum around, or just have a trivial job as long as it is not too stressful.

I thought this is more of an exception than a rule but with your essay I suppose this social phenomenon is more prevalent than I thought.

Please, I want some more  ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:07:44 AM by renzphotography »

renzphotography

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2009, 07:47:08 AM »

By the way, thanks for your post Vinzvonvan. After reading your essay and Madgirl09's I suppose there is much hope for the Filipino youth and our education system despite the vast room for improvement.