Author Topic: On writing acronyms  (Read 11175 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
On writing acronyms
« on: August 09, 2019, 03:09:44 PM »
I've been wondering about this for quite some time now: should acronyms be defined in emails (example: AVM for arteriovenous malformation)?

You see, I've been unable to walk properly again after my second brain operation. Only through emails can I request for interviews and discuss issues.

To explain these issues, though, words that could be shortened to acronyms would be mentioned. That's when I would think twice whether I should define the acronyms! I might sound officious and turn the person I'm talking with off if I do it. I might also seem unknowledgeable if I don't. Knowing what I should exactly do when confronted with this grammatical quandary could lighten things up for me.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: On writing acronyms
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 01:04:36 AM »
I think it's best to assume that a general e-mail reader wouldn't know that the acronym AVM stands for the medical term "arteriovenous malformation" (I personally don't know what that ailment is all about). For this reason, it's highly advisable to state the medical term--or most such technical terms anyway--in full first, followed by its established acronym enclosed in parenthesis, then preferably defined or described succinctly. Even if your readers already know what the acronym means, I don't think they will find you officious and turn-offish by doing that. They will be appreciative instead of your leaving no room for misinterpretation or confusion.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: On writing acronyms
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 10:44:29 AM »
Thank you, Sir!

I know I should have just checked which letters have been successful so I wouldn't have to bother you regarding this anymore. But then I thought, there could be other factors if my emails are taken seriously (such as the online publication I'm writing for or the topic at hand).

Thank you again!