Author Topic: Swipe left vs. swipe to the left  (Read 12259 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Swipe left vs. swipe to the left
« on: February 25, 2019, 05:26:05 PM »
I am using an app that says "swipe left to reveal the comments." And so I tried to do the action the first time I had used it--sweeping my finger from the left side to the right side of my smartphone. But the comment page/section didn't appear. The other night, though, I accidentally moved my finger from the right side of my smartphone to the left side and the comment page/section appeared! So, I've come to think that the developers of the app should've put "swipe to the left to reveal the comments" instead. Right?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Swipe left vs. swipe to the left
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 07:07:37 PM »
Not all those who venture into the Internet are well-versed in English, so it's not surprising that even if they are computer-savvy, they sometimes could make egregious or honest mistakes in reckoning with or describing directions, magnitudes, generally accepted norms, and arbitrary language-specific standards. We just have to be particularly careful with apps developed by nonnative-English-speaking techies regardless of their country of origin. If in doubt about an instruction that looks, sounds, and behaves dubiously, ask for confirmation first before clicking that "Yes" or "No" button.

RELATED CAUTIONARY READING:
"The State of Our English"
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:25:52 PM by Joe Carillo »

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Swipe left vs. swipe to the left
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 10:28:21 AM »
Thank you for your reply!

Can you advise the app's developers about their honest mistake then? The app has many users, seemingly targeting  entry-level professionals.