Author Topic: Confusion with "As much"  (Read 9795 times)

benedict

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Confusion with "As much"
« on: February 07, 2019, 11:53:54 AM »
Hi Everybody,

I read in a book the following sentence and had a hard time making sense of it.
"Half again as much teritory has been brought into subjection since Gaugamela as in all the prior campaigns"
Could anyone help me on this, please.

Many thanks!

Benedict

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Confusion with "As much"
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:34:14 AM »
"Half again as much territory has been brought into subjection since Gaugamela as in all the prior campaigns."

That convoluted passive-voice sentence is indeed extremely tough to grasp. It might help to reconstruct it as follows: "Since the subjection of Gaugamela, again as much as half of Gauagemela's territory has been brought into subjection in addition to the territories brought into subjection by all previous campaigns." Even in this form, we really can't be sure if we have gotten the sense of the original statement correctly. A major problem is that it isn't clear who is doer of the subjection; it's also not clear if territories other than Gaugamela have been involved in the subjection.

The best thing you can do is to ask the author and publisher of that book to clarify that statement and its nebulous mathematics for the benefit of its readers. It would be great if you can share their response and revision with Forum readers.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:52:18 AM by Joe Carillo »

benedict

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion with "As much"
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 03:15:02 PM »
I'll try to do that, Sir Joe.

Thank you very much.