Author Topic: Web hosting for a chat room  (Read 2743 times)

murofolliracesoj

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Web hosting for a chat room
« on: November 12, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »
Hi

I'm going to set up a chat room for gamers to chat about online games. When I compare best recommended web hosting reviews like Bluehost, Godaddy and Hostgator I see they provide 3 types of packages: shared, dedicated server and VPS. Share hosting plans are several times cheaper than dedicated server and vps , so I'm interested in choosing a shared hosting account, especially I prefer Godaddy because of their cheap domain registration services and web hosting plans with month to month billing cycles. But my problem is this that one of my friends says it would be better to choose a vps or dedicated server for a chat room! Since I'm on a tight budget I don't want to spend a lot of many on my hosting account.

I want to know if a shared hosting account can handle a chat room for gamers?

Thanks,

jciadmin

• The State Manager
  • Administrator
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Web hosting for a chat room
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 03:53:03 PM »
Site Admin here.

I can't really answer your question with 100% certainty as I have not hosted a chatroom service before.

Here's Hostgator's article about the difference: Why should I use VPS instead of a shared or reseller package?

Since the site and forum's format does not require intensive processing and is definitely not resource-heavy, it works very well with Shared Hosting.

I imagine that depending on the processing load of whatever chatroom application you will host, Shared may or may not be appropriate due to resource sharing with other clients on your Server. VPS should be more flexible for that purpose, although I don't think you'll need a Dedicated Server unless you'll be looking into thousands (if not tens to hundreds) of participants all going at it at the same time.

I suggest you contact Hostgator's pre-sales support so they can answer your question much accurately than I can.