Author Topic: The workings of the three kinds of grammatical objects in English  (Read 7171 times)

Ivan Ivanov

• View Profile
After re-reading the topic ("Noun clauses"), I see that I don’t understood some things about objects.

Probably it would be correct to say that a direct object answers the question "What?" or "Whom?" so, for example, “a new computer”  in “We bought a new computer’ is a direct object.
The indirect object shows to or for whom the action of the verb is performed, so “me” is an indirect object in  “She gave me the report”.

1. But what is “me” in   “she gave it to me”?  and ‘she did it for me’? Can we call it a prepositional object or it is a wrong term and it is better to say that “to me’ and “for me” are just prepositional phrases?
2. What is “me” in “she told me about her dog”? If it is an indirect object where is the direct object (I’ve heard that there is a  rule that an indirect object can’t go without a direct object)? And what is “about her dog” in the sentence? I think that it answers the question “what”:
What did she tell? – She told me a story/She told me about her dog.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 04:06:26 PM by Joe Carillo »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The workings of the three kinds of grammatical objects in English
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 11:37:08 AM »
Before I answer your particular questions about objects in English grammar, let us first formally define the terms “object,” “direct object,” “indirect object,” and “object of the preposition.”

Generally, an object in a sentence is a noun, pronoun, or noun form (which can be a gerund, gerund phrase, noun phrase, or noun clause) that denotes the goal or result of the action of the verb. It can be any of three kinds: direct object, indirect object, or object of the preposition.

A direct object is the entity acted upon by the doer of the action and directly receives the action of the verb. In the sentence “The mechanic fixed the car,” for example, the noun “car” is a direct object because it is directly acted upon by “mechanic,” which is the doer of the action of the verb “fixed.” Another way of saying this is that as direct object, the noun “car” directly receives the action of the verb “fixed.”

An indirect object is the entity that receives the direct object of the sentence. It is the secondary goal of the action of its verb and is only indirectly affected by that action; another way of saying this is that the indirect object isn’t a direct receiver but only an intermediary or “pass-on” receiver of the action of that verb. In the sentence “Alex gave me a ride,” for example, the pronoun “me” is an indirect object because it’s only an indirect or “pass-on” recipient of the noun “ride,” which is the direct object of the sentence.

An object of the preposition is a noun or pronoun introduced by a preposition to complete the meaning of a phrase that’s used to modify a sentence. This phrase is known as the prepositional phrase and it consists of the preposition and its object as well as all other words modifying that object. For example, in the sentence “The unsavory revelations against the politician placed his integrity under a cloud of doubt,” the noun phrase “a cloud of doubt” is the object of the preposition “under.” The entire prepositional phrase “under a cloud of doubt” then serves as a modifier of the noun “integrity.”

Now we are ready to take up the specific concerns you raised about these three kinds of objects in English.

Of course, you’re absolutely correct in your observation that (1) a direct object answers the questions “What is directly acted upon by the verb?” and “To whom is the action done?”, and that (2) an indirect object shows for or through whom the direct object is received. Thus, in the sentence that you gave as example, “She gave me the report,” the pronoun “me” is undoubtedly an indirect object.

As to the admittedly baffling role of the pronoun “me” in the sentences that you presented in your posting, here are my observations and comments:

1. About the sentences “She gave it to me” and “She did it for me”

In “She gave it to me,” the pronoun “it” is actually the direct object of the verb “gave” while the pronoun “me” is the indirect object. Similarly, in the second sentence, “She did it for me,” the pronoun “it” is the direct object of the verb “did” and the pronoun “me” is the indirect object. The confusing aspect of these two sentences is that their construction pattern is inconsistent with the pattern used when the direct object is a noun instead, as in the following sentences:

“She gave me the laptop.”
“She did me a favor.”

Note that in both of the sentences above in which the direct object is a noun, the indirect object “me” comes right after the verbs “gave” and “did,” respectively. When the direct object is changed to a pronoun, however, that sentence construction becomes untenable because it's so intolerably awkward and unnatural-sounding, as you can see below:

“She gave me it.”
“She did me it.” 

To eliminate such quirkish sentence constructions, the English language took the recourse of putting the indirect object in a prepositional phrase instead of positioning it right after the verb, as follows:

“She gave it to me.”
“She did it for me.”

The two sentences above are obviously much smoother and better-sounding than in their previous construction. This is because in both sentences, the direct object “it” now comes right after the verb. In the case of the first sentence, “me” has become the object of the preposition “to”; and in the second, “me” has become the object of the preposition “for.” Even so, keep in mind that “me” still retains its grammatical function as the indirect object in both sentences.

2. What is “me” in the sentence “She told me about her dog”?

In the sentence “She told me about her dog,” the pronoun “me” is the direct object and there’s no indirect object at all. The object “her dog” isn’t functioning as an indirect object in that sentence but as the object of the preposition “about”; together, they form a prepositional phrase that serves as an adverbial complement in that sentence.

As to your last question, there’s really no rule to the effect that an indirect object can’t go without a direct object. The correct rule is that only sentences using a transitive verb can have or can accept a direct object, and that actually, a direct object doesn’t always require or doesn't always come with an indirect object. In fact, as you’ll discover soon enough, not very many transitive verbs in English need an indirect object at all when performing their action.

I guess this wraps up our discussion on the workings of the three kinds of objects in English grammar.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 08:41:29 AM by Joe Carillo »

Ivan Ivanov

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 05:15:48 PM »
I think that the things have become very much clearer for me after the explanations, but I am still a bit baffled by the terms.

1. Are “prepositional object” and “object of the preposition” the same thing or “prepositional object” is something else? (This term is used in Wikipedia, for example).
2. Have I understood it correctly that the object of the preposition “to”/ “for” can be an indirect object and an object of a preposition at the same time? (For example, it is so in “She gave it to me” and “She did it for me”)
3. Is it possible to say that “the radio” in “I am listening to the radio” or “the tiger” in  “he aimed at the tiger” are direct objects (used after prepositional verbs)?

(Actually, you have already answered the second question very clearly, I just wanted to chek myself since that is what I couldn't understand :)  )

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:51:39 PM by Ivan Ivanov »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 11:18:16 PM »
Here are my thoughts on your further questions about grammatical objects in English:

1. Are the “prepositional object” and “object of the preposition” the same thing, or is “prepositional object” something else? (This term is used in Wikipedia, for example.)

Yes, the terms “prepositional object” and “object of the preposition” refer to the same thing, but “object of the preposition” is the preferred and most commonly used term in American English. The “object of the preposition” is formally defined as the noun or pronoun phrase that follows a preposition, while the “prepositional object” is formally defined as a noun phrase governed by a preposition—obviously, these are just two different ways of describing the same thing. Simply as a matter of personal preference, though, I use the term “object of the preposition” consistently.

2. Have I understood it correctly that the object of the preposition “to”/ “for” can be an indirect object and an object of a preposition at the same time? (For example, it is so in “She gave it to me” and “She did it for me.”)

The more accurate way to say it is that in some special situations involving particular verbs and particular forms of grammatical objects, an indirect object can become an object of a preposition at the same time. We have seen this to be true in the case of the indirect object “me” in the sentences “She gave it to me” and “She did it for me,” where having the pronoun “it” for direct object creates a serious structural and syntax problem—the horrid-sounding “She gave me it” and “She did me it” constructions!—that can be handily fixed by just positioning the direct object right after the verb and making the indirect object “me” an object of the preposition instead (“She gave it to me.” “She did it for me.”). I doubt very much though if this could be used as a general rule.

To check, let’s consider the sentence “She did me a favor.” When we reconstruct that sentence such that the indirect object “me” becomes an object of the preposition, we will come up with these awkward constructions: “She did a favor for me.” “She did a favor to me.” Although grammatically and structurally defensible, both of these sentences fail to precisely capture the sense of the original construction, “She did me a favor.” Indeed, the sentences look clumsy and sound awkward with the indirect object “me” appended as an object of the preposition rather than being positioned right after the verb “did.”

This, I think, is a very strong indication that from the semantic standpoint, not all indirect objects can properly be made an object of a preposition at the same time. Indeed, my feeling is that the failure rate in semantics and syntax would be high when we subject other verbs and other grammatical objects to the same test.

3. Is it possible to say that “the radio” in “I am listening to the radio” or “the tiger” in “He aimed at the tiger” are direct objects (used after prepositional verbs)?

No, the nouns “radio” and “tiger” are definitely not direct objects in those sentences that you presented above. You need to keep in mind that only transitive verbs can have or take a direct object. The verbs “listening” and “aimed” in those sentences are not transitive verbs but intransitive verbs, which by themselves alone can’t possibly pass on or transmit their action to any object in the sentence. (Check out “Lesson #2 - How the English Language Really Works” in the Forum.)

However, the English language provides a grammatical mechanism for enabling intransitive verbs to get around this inherent limitation of theirs. They can use prepositions as an “intermediary” for transmitting their action to a grammatical object, which then becomes what’s known as “the object of the preposition.” Indeed, in the sentences “I am listening to the radio” and “He aimed at the tiger,” the intransitive verbs “listening” and “aimed” make use of the prepositions “to” and “at,” respectively, as intermediaries for conveying their action to the grammatical objects “radio” and “tiger,” which then function as objects of the preposition—not as direct objects or indirect objects of the action.

Ivan Ivanov

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 04:37:44 PM »
Thanks a lot, Joe! Now after your explanations the things are definitely much more clearer for me. I think that the subject is quite difficult for any Russian because in Russian we have three kinds of objects also (direct object, oblique non-prepositional object and oblique prepositional object) and it is not easy to force yourself to forget about familiar terms and begin to use proper English notions.