Author Topic: Making Sense of Academic Talk  (Read 5816 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Making Sense of Academic Talk
« on: September 21, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »
Making Sense of Academic Talk

IMAGE CREDIT: PINTEREST.COM

The following list of phrases and their definitions might help you understand the mysterious language of science and medicine. These special phrases are also applicable to anyone working on a Ph.D. dissertation or academic paper anywhere!

“It has long been known” = I didn’t look up the original reference.

“A definite trend is evident” = These data are practically meaningless.

“While it has not been possible to provide definite answers to the questions…” = An unsuccessful experiment, but I still hope to get it published.

“Three of the samples were chosen for detailed study” = The other results didn’t make any sense.

“Typical results are shown” = This is the prettiest graph.

“These results will be in a subsequent report” = I might get around to this sometime, if pushed/funded.

“In my experience…” = once.

“In case after case…” = twice.

“In a series of cases…” = thrice.

“It is believed that…” = I think.

“It is generally believed that…” = A couple of others think so, too.

“Correct within an order of magnitude” = Wrong.

“According to statistical analysis…” = Rumor has it.

“A statistically oriented projection of the significance of these findings…” = A wild guess.

“A careful analysis of obtainable data” = Three pages of notes were obliterated when I knocked over a glass of pop.

“It is clear that much additional work will be required before a complete understanding of this phenomenon occurs”= I don’t understand it.

“After additional study by my colleagues…”= They don’t understand it either.

“Thanks are due to Joe Blotz for assistance with the experiment and to Cindy Adams for valuable discussions” = Mr. Blotz did the work and Ms. Adams explained to me what it meant.

“A highly significant area for exploratory study” = A totally useless topic selected by my committee.

“It is hoped that this study will stimulate further investigation in this field” = I quit.

—From Lots of Jokes website
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 06:46:16 PM by Joe Carillo »