Author Topic: I have no words  (Read 3227 times)

grammarielle

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Bookoto Bookshop
I have no words
« on: May 06, 2009, 02:28:22 PM »
...though flabbergasted and furious will do, for now. I apologize for the emotional entry but who wouldn't be when you read something like this:

http://pgenrestories.multiply.com/journal/item/815?mark_read=pgenrestories:journal:815&replies_read=103&goto=103#reply103

Please help spread the word. The provision of tax- and duty-free importation of books and other related literary materials are also affirmed in REPUBLIC ACT NO. 8047 (AN ACT PROVIDING FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE BOOK PUBLISHING INDUSTRY THROUGH THE FORMULATION AND IMPLEMENTATION OF A NATIONAL BOOK POLICY AND A NATIONAL BOOK DEVELOPMENT PLAN.) There is even a provision for penalties in this Act.

With this kind of persecution targeted at book importers, I couldn't help but feel like we're back in the middle ages...

Something's gotta be done!  :-[

UPDATE: There is an ongoing campaign against the Finance Department's circular on import tax and duties on books over at Facebook. If you'd like to be counted, please sign up and join the cause:

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/280535/49261116?m=6d54c0aa

Thank you for your support.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:58:37 PM by grammarielle »

Silver Cross

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I have no words
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 09:12:04 AM »
I do believe this is getting more media attention. I think I remember watching news or something about it. The more attention the better, right?

And yes, it is a despicable outrage and it cannot be allowed to happen.   >:(

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 01:12:23 PM »
You’re right! This issue has been lately getting the airing that it needs. Check out this Forum’s “Country News” section for the story about the UNESCO’s statement that the tax on imported books is anti-poor, and the “Opinion” section for Manila Times columnist Moje Ramos-Aquino’s piece today protesting the blockade on imported books.

lee1

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »
I have no words