Author Topic: Filipino Journalists And Their Childish Take On Constructive Criticism  (Read 3683 times)

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Part 1 -  ::)Indeed. What a laugh, if not for the seriousness of the matter. I will not hesitate to mention a particular journalist. She is Inday Espina-Varona, who was my fb friend for a couple of months. Today, I visited her page since her status was about the new car of the new prez. It started well but as usual, the discussion digressed. Before I knew it, she took me off her list of fb friends. Why? First of all, she was not clear what she was talking about. Journalists there, it seems, are on a huge ego-trip that if one non-journalist person asks them something "deep" they are unable to cope!! No exaggeration. They are so used to being praised--all for the wrong reasons, of course. They are also happy to see nice comforting words heaped on them, secure  in the knowledge that their facebook friends would sing their praises. Well, I was asking questions, and this woman just wasn't used to being asked the nitty-gritty questions. >:(As the discussion went on, many of her friends joined in and made the discussion rather interesting. I must say that it was rare to see her page with a decent discussion and having given her the challenge to discuss the issue of Philippine politics would have triggered inspiration on her part. But, no. She took it negatively, became sarcastic and childish and when I checked afterwards, I couldn't find her on facebook. This is the sort of journalists that should not be journalists in the real sense of the word. Somehow, they do not have the grit that British and Spanish journalists possess. If anything, the majority of Filipino journalists are childish, unprofessional, subjective,narrow-minded, and rather obsessed with their own personal charm as if it was the highest form of accolade just  to be a journalist. :o

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Filipino Journalists And Their Childish Take On Constructive Criticism
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:13:21 PM »
Part 2
"He won by a landslide."  Inday's defence of this new prez. So, I asked her to give proof. She hesitated. When I insisted, she gave figures that came from the Comelec. I asked her how reliable the data were when in fact some problems have not been resolved during the May 2010 elections. I told her if she and others did investigative reporting, or something to that effect to satisfy people like me that, indeed, this new prez had won by a landslide. I think it was because I told her in no uncertain terms that using the word "landslide"--without official proof was wrong. She didn't like the idea of being told what word to use. Still, we carried on discussing and she ended up by telling me to produce data that would confirm that he did win by a "landslide". To use such a word was irresponsible since to this day, there are still many unanswered questions. "How can you tell me to produce data to prove that he didn't win by a landslide when you are the journalist?" I told her. Her frustration at not being able to give honest, straight answers proves that some journalists are beholden to politicians and their bosses who are quite friendly with politicians are of the same clout. Their lack of independence, their cowardice to shed light and tell the truth to the people and their subjectivity had made me think little of her. How can we, the readers and viewers of print and broadcast media, believe what these people say when they are in cahoots with the very politicians they pretend to "criticise"? >:( ??? ::)

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Filipino Journalists And Their Childish Take On Constructive Criticism
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 06:44:01 PM »
Part 3

I added that there was election fraud going on since the question of "Hocus-PCOS" is still, well, questionable. Before I knew it, she put "robbery" in my mouth! I told her, "please do not put words in my mouth. I did not use the word robbery--you did...your words, not mine."  Anyway, she was adamant that "fraud", fraudulent" and "robbery" are one and the same thing! I replied, "Putting that word "robbery" in my mouth was tasteless." She retaliated by saying that I was frothing in the mouth because this new prez had bought himself a nice porsche. I replied by saying that Marbella is a filthy rich town and I see posh cars everyday--so there's no need for my mouth to froth! Later, other loyal friends joined in and she ignored me and my questions. A few minutes later, she took me off her list of fb friends. ;D :D Childish? Nah, ludicrous for holding such an important position where she works and she gives you nothing but froth! What a caper indeed to have her kind. 8) :(