Author Topic: Conditional sentences  (Read 9009 times)

jonathanfvaldez

• View Profile
Conditional sentences
« on: January 10, 2011, 05:02:26 AM »
Although the answer to the first "conditional" question is clear from a reading of "the first conditional" paragraph of your essay, the answers to the second and third are not (at least, to me anyway).  May we have the answers, please?  Thanks.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Conditional sentences
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 12:10:06 AM »
Here are the answers to the set of three conditional sentence tests:

1. “If water is heated to 100 degrees Centigrade, it boils.” (Zero conditional—certainty)
2. “I would qualify for the post if I’m a civil service eligible, but I’m not.” (Second conditional—unreal possibility)
3. “If you pass the qualifying test, you will get a full scholarship.” (First conditional—real possibility.

Forum member Angela Mapa sent in by e-mail precisely the same answers. For Sentence #2, however, she said she would use “if I were” instead of “if I’m.” This would put the sentence in the subjunctive mood, as follows: “I would qualify for the post if I were a civil service eligible, but I’m not.”

The obvious questions are, of course, these: Is the sentence construction presented by Angela correct? Is the second conditional form equivalent to or distinct from the subjunctive form?   

Recall that one of the functions of the subjunctive is to describe the outcome of an unreal situation or idea contrary to fact, as in this sentence: “How I wish I were more knowledgeable in English when I was in college!” 

Forum members and guests: Any thoughts about this seeming grammatical conundrum?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:15:19 AM by Joe Carillo »

robinmedico

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Conditional sentences
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 03:51:11 PM »
Conditional statements gives fluency to English.