Author Topic: Interesting Ad  (Read 5036 times)

Cherlang

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Interesting Ad
« on: April 13, 2011, 03:20:17 AM »
Recently, I received an email ad for a beauty product line from a local, highly-respected spa.  Readers were told they could receive a (brand-name) item "free with any perches."  After great astonishment - bordering on embarrassment for my friend - and much laughter, I phoned the owner and suggested that a spell-check might be in order.  She was embarrassed - and appreciative.  Next day, a new, improved version arrived!    [/i]
Grammar Interventionist/ Student Teacher Supervisor for Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Interesting Ad
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:44:21 AM »
This is hilarious, Cherlang! I suppose that the improved version of "perches" provided by the spa owner wasn't "parches" but the correct "purchase."

Talking about faulty vocabulary and bad English in product labeling and advertising, let me share with you an essay I wrote a few years back about a beauty product bought by my wife. I posted it here in the Forum last May 22, 2009 for everybody to enjoy and, well, to ponder. You can read it now by clicking this link to "The State of Our English." Afterwards, you may want to share it with the owner of that well-respected spa for good measure.

Have a nice day!

P.S. Humor stories about the English language like Cherlang's and mine above are most welcome here in the Forum. Don't hesitate to share them with Forum members. If you have one, post it now!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:25:40 PM by Joe Carillo »