Author Topic: The right pronunciation of "debut"  (Read 5136 times)

Giggi Garcia

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
The right pronunciation of "debut"
« on: July 20, 2014, 05:38:28 PM »
Thank you Joe! I am a bit lost right now but I have a question though - What is the correct way to pronounce the past tense of debut when used as a verb, is it "debyood" or "debyooted"?  I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this-I would appreciate pointers in the right direction.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The right way to pronounce "debut"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 12:44:58 AM »
I don’t speak French, but I have always pronounced the past tense of the French-origin word “debut” as debyooted in English, not debyood. I just decided that this follows from the American pronunciation of the noun “debut” as dei’bju, in which case the “t” won’t be silent when the “-ed” for the past tense is added.

Now that you ask, however, I checked with The Free Dictionary on the web and found that both pronunciations are acceptable. I am unable to reproduce the symbols for the pronunciation key here, but you can check them out by clicking this link to the citation from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.

So take your pick of whichever pronunciation you are more comfortable with.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:07:58 PM by Joe Carillo »

Giggi Garcia

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The right way to pronounce "debut"
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »
Thank you so much for the reply! It feels so good to be amongst others who would go out of their way to discover new bits of English grammar facts!  The new knowledge you have imparted is indeed most satisfying.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:25:04 PM by Joe Carillo »