Author Topic: Re the use of the Oxford comma  (Read 8354 times)

Tata Felis

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re the use of the Oxford comma
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:42:54 AM »
I saw this post of Facebook, "Why I use the "Oxford comma"... and why you should, too:

"Example of a sentence with the Oxford comma: 'For Mawe's birthday party, they invited two sexy dancers, Lorie, and Mia.'

"Example of a sentence without the Oxford comma: 'For Mawe's birthday party, they invited two sexy dancers, Lorie and Mia.'"

Kindly enlighten me if what was stated above is true and what, indeed is the Oxford comma.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re the use of the Oxford comma
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:56:37 AM »
It’s a good thing you brought up that Facebook posting for clarification. Whoever posted it obviously meant well in advocating the use of the Oxford comma, but unfortunately, the sentences given as examples for its usage seriously misrepresent what it is. This is then an excellent opportunity to rectify the error so that Facebook members and English users in general won’t be misled about the nature of this form of punctuation.

The Oxford comma, which is also known as the serial comma or series comma or Harvard comma, is called into service only when a sentence lists a series of three or more terms or grammar elements. It is placed immediately before the conjunction “and,” “or,” or “nor” that links the last term or grammar element to the series. In the following sentence, for example, the comma preceding the conjunction “and” is an Oxford comma: “The private aircraft made stopovers in Manila, Seoul, and Anchorage.”

The fundamental error in that sentence posted on Facebook about the Oxford comma is that it has only two serial elements, namely “Lorie” and “Mia.” Thus, in that sentence, “For Mawe’s birthday party, they invited two sexy dancers, Lorie, and Mia,” the comma preceding “and Mia” isn’t a valid Oxford comma; its presence only serves to truncate the sentence. If at least one more sexy dancer (let’s call her “Alona”) had been invited to that party, the Oxford comma would have been grammatically called for: “For Mawe’s birthday party, they invited three sexy dancers, Lorie, Mia, and Alona.”

Because of this fundamental error in that example for Oxford comma usage, this example in that Facebook posting for the non-use of the Oxford is also wrong: “For Mawe’s birthday party, they invited two sexy dancers, Lorie and Mia.” In fact, there’s no serial comma at all in that sentence; the comma after the word “dancers” isn’t a serial comma but simply a comma that sets off the appositive phrase “Lorie and Mia.”

I said at the outset that whoever made that Facebook posting meant well in advocating the Oxford comma, and I’d like to add that I myself am a consistent user of the serial comma in my writings. But I need to point out here that the usage of the Oxford comma isn’t a hard-and-fast rule in English but only a stylistic preference.

Although most style guides in American English prescribe the use of the Oxford or serial comma, many print journalism outlets in the United States and in the Philippines are actually averse to using it. In my case, though, I consistently use the Oxford comma because I strongly believe that it enhances the clarity of sentences with serial lists, particularly those with items consisting of long phrases with more than four or five words, like the following:

“The major businesses in the domestic pet services industry are traditional veterinary services, fancy pet grooming and makeover shops, a wide assortment of animal and bird food, freshwater and marine fish of various kinds and aquarium equipment and supplies for industrial and home use.”

Now put an Oxford comma right before the last item, “and aquarium equipment and supplies for industrial and home use,” and see how powerfully it clarifies that sentence!

EARLIER FORUM POSTINGS ON THE SERIAL COMMA:
“Why I consistently use the serial comma”
“On the question over my use of the serial comma”

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »
How about "or"? Is the Oxford comma also necessary before it? How about when using the other members of the FANBOYS (there is still for, nor, but, yet, and so)?

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 11:42:55 PM »
How about "or"? Is the Oxford comma also necessary before it? How about when using the other members of the FANBOYS (there is still for, nor, but, yet, and so)?
It appears you're confusing an Oxford comma with the other traditionally used commas. It's important to understand not every comma in a piece of writing is an Oxford one. He has made that distinction very clearly, and you might want to re-read his posting to fully comprehend that.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:13:32 PM »
You may be right. Thank you.

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 06:59:12 AM »
''You may be right'' carries a sense of possibility. (Review the types and applications of various English modal verbs.) In other words, what you're saying is that you're not completely satisfied with what I had to say. That being the case, then what is it do you think that would have made it ''You are absolutely right?'' The botton line is that we are here to expand our knowledgies and find solutions to problems that puzzles us, and being open when responses have not met our satisfaction is one simple way to achieve that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 07:03:13 AM by Mwita Chacha »

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 03:00:29 PM »
You may be right that I'm "confusing an Oxford comma with the other traditionally used commas." That's why I'm here. That's why I asked that question.