Author Topic: On the question over my use of the serial comma  (Read 6393 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
On the question over my use of the serial comma
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:38:46 PM »
In “Give Your English the Winning Edge”, you write:
“Many people discover to their dismay that their many years of formal study of English has not given them the proficiency level demanded by the job market, by the various professions, or by higher academic studies.”
Although “many years of study” has a sense of singularity, it is still undeniably a plural subject and therefore demands “have”.
And, in a list of attributes, should not there be a comma after each, except the second last?

In the same vein,
“In this exciting new volume, the National Book Award-winning author of English Plain and Simple unravels the various mechanisms and tools of English for combining words and ideas into clear, logical, and engaging writing.”
There is a comma after the second-last adjective.    In my brief squiz at the excerpt from GYETWE, I noted that you do this all the time.    Has some authority changed convention?

Yes, Max, I admit that I use the serial comma all the time as a matter of stylistic choice. I just happened to have imbibed the serial-comma tradition from Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style and the Chicago Manual of Style, both of which use the American English standard, and also from the decidedly British Modern English Usage by H.W. Fowler. However, during my early days as a campus journalist and later as a reporter for a daily newspaper, I would routinely knock off my serial commas because the newspaper I was working with just happened to have adopted the preference of the major American newspapers and news bureaus, particularly The New York Times and the Associated Press. If I didn’t knock off those serial commas myself, my editors would do so anyway and sullenly admonish me not to foist my personal preference on them despite the house rule against it.   

No, the convention on whether or not to use the serial comma has not changed at all. I am aware that the no-serial-comma tradition remains a widespread stylistic practice in the United Kingdom as well as in Canada, Australia, and South Africa, particularly in their mass-circulation newspapers and magazines. Knowing that you are based in Australia, I therefore don't take it against you when you complain against my use of the serial comma. But please understand that I just want to be consistent after making a personal choice based on my personal experience with the problems of punctuation over the years.

Of course, the usefulness of the serial comma might not be readily apparent and appreciated when the items in a sentence with a serial list consist only of a single word or two, as in the following sentences:

“She bought a lot of apples, oranges and pears.”

“For the role of Hamlet, the possible choices are Fred Smith, Ted Owen, Jim Harris and George Brown." 

But see what happens when the items in the list consist of long phrases with more than four or five words:

“The major businesses in the domestic pet services industry are traditional veterinary services, fancy pet grooming and makeover shops, a wide assortment of animal and bird food, freshwater and marine fish of various kinds and aquarium equipment and supplies for industrial and home use.”

Now, without using the serial comma to do its punctuation job, try to figure out where each enumerative item ends and begins in the phrase “freshwater and marine fish of various kinds and aquarium equipment and supplies for industrial and home use.”

You might have ultimately figured it out, of course, but see how clear and unequivocal the second and final items would have been had we deployed a serial comma between “various kinds” and “aquarium equipment,” as follows:

“The major businesses in the domestic pet services industry are traditional veterinary services, fancy pet grooming and makeover shops, a wide assortment of animal and bird food, freshwater and marine fish of various kinds, and aquarium equipment and supplies for industrial and home use.”

I therefore think it’s best to use a serial comma by default in such situations regardless of how long the phrase for each item is in the enumerative sequence. This way, we can avoid making unilateral decisions on whether or not to use a comma in a way that could just confuse readers and violate their sense of rhythm and balance. 

The example I have just discussed shows what to me is the most grammatically important function of the serial comma, but there are several others for which Wikipedia gives several very interesting—and sometimes hilarious—examples. Mignon Fogarty of the website “Grammar Girl”  has also written a very lucid and balanced explanation of the pros and cons of using the serial comma. I suggest you check out both sites now—simply click the link that I have provided above for each of them—if you still have any lingering doubts about the value and virtue of the serial comma as opposed to not having it at all.

In closing, Max, let me say that I greatly appreciate the kind of questions you have posted in the Forum. They allow me to clarify confusing English usage that rarely gets discussed adequately.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 07:09:31 AM by Joe Carillo »

maxsims

• View Profile
Re: On the question over my use of the serial comma
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:58:36 PM »
Another classic from the IELTS study guide is the sentence: "Indeed, according to the American Wind Energy Association, an independent organisation based in Washington, Denmark, Britain, Spain and the Netherlands will each surpass the US in the generating capacity of wind turbines installed during the rest of the decade."

(The more I look at this guide, the more I realise how unfair it is to non-English speakers (or nonnatives, if you will).     Not only is the grammar of dubious quality but the layout and exercise instructions are often confusing.    My ward in your fair land got one exercise horribly wrong, not because she didn't know the subject but because the "how to answer" instructions were muddy.)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Not a case of serial comma misuse but outright bad writing
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 06:22:09 PM »
Another classic from the IELTS study guide is the sentence: "Indeed, according to the American Wind Energy Association, an independent organisation based in Washington, Denmark, Britain, Spain and the Netherlands will each surpass the US in the generating capacity of wind turbines installed during the rest of the decade."

(The more I look at this guide, the more I realise how unfair it is to non-English speakers (or nonnatives, if you will).     Not only is the grammar of dubious quality but the layout and exercise instructions are often confusing.    My ward in your fair land got one exercise horribly wrong, not because she didn't know the subject but because the "how to answer" instructions were muddy.)

I don't think that sentence from the IELTS study guide is a case of misuse of the serial comma; it's outright bad writing. If I were the content developer or editor of that guide, I would have anticipated the semantic confusion that would result from putting the word "Washington" in the same serial sequence as the four countries expected to surpass the US in wind-turbine generating capacity. I then would have phrased the sentence this way to make my meaning clearer to the reader:

"Indeed, according to the American Wind Energy Association, an independent organisation based in Washington, four countries--Denmark, Britain, Spain and the Netherlands--will each surpass the US in the generating capacity of wind turbines installed during the rest of the decade."

Another construction that avoids the semantic rigmarole of the sentence in question:

"Indeed, according to the American Wind Energy Association, an independent organisation based in Washington, four countries will each surpass the US in the generating capacity of wind turbines installed during the rest of the decade. Those countries are Denmark, Britain, Spain, and the Netherlands."

Not only is that particular IELTS study guide unfair to nonnative English-language learners; it's evidently not very competently written. (In fairness to IELTS, however, many study guides that purport to teach IELTS reviewers are not produced by IELTS itself but by independent publishers not at all associated with IELTS. I therefore suggest you check with your ward precisely what company produced the study guide she's using.) 

maxsims

• View Profile
Re: On the question over my use of the serial comma
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 07:56:41 PM »
...I therefore suggest you check with your ward precisely what company produced the study guide she's using...

From a quick look (over the internet), I couldn't see a publisher's name, but it has the British Council logo printed on it, along with "Approved by the British Council for Australia", and I did buy it from an Australian university!

Disappointing.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
...I therefore suggest you check with your ward precisely what company produced the study guide she's using...

From a quick look (over the internet), I couldn't see a publisher's name, but it has the British Council logo printed on it, along with "Approved by the British Council for Australia", and I did buy it from an Australian university!

Disappointing.

So there goes the glory of English even in the United Kingdom!