Author Topic: Can and could  (Read 8931 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Can and could
« on: December 04, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
How about can and could? Do they have the same nuances as will and would (which, as I understand it, do not have any significant difference)?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can and could
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 01:22:50 PM »
Before discussing the usage differences between “can” and “could,” I’d like to first disabuse your mind from the mistaken idea that there’s no significant difference between the usage of the modals “will” and “would.” Of course, as I explained in my reply to YoungMentor last week, there’s not only a significant but a big difference in the sense of these two modals. That difference is the direct, straightforward sense of the modal “will” as opposed to the politeness and deferential sense of the modal “would” in conveying intent or desire. Indeed, there’s a big world of difference between saying “Will you join me in my campaign?” and “Would you join me in my campaign?” The first is a plain invitation, while the second is a polite or deferential request—and the difference between these two statements says a lot about the social station or rank of the speaker and the person being addressed.

Perhaps what gave you the wrong notion that there’s no significant difference between “will” and “would” was the exceptional case that YoungMentor asked about, where the speaker is instructing someone to do something in a certain way: “The preposition that would yield the correct sense is, of course, ‘from among,’ meaning that the ‘one or two people’ specified in the sentence belongs to the totality of all the people visiting hospitals.” As I explained in my column, “would” is the preferred usage in this case but “will” is also acceptable. We shouldn’t generalize on this single exception though.

Now to your main question: “Do ‘can’ and ‘could’ have the same nuances as ‘will’ and ‘would’?” Again, I’d say that it’s slippery—even dangerous—to answer that question with either a categorical no or a yes. To begin with, when we use “can” and “could,” we are conveying the idea of ability, possibility, permission, or potential; in contrast, when we use “will” and “would,” we are conveying the idea of desire, choice, willingness, consent, or habitual or customary action. From the semantic standpoint, therefore, “can” and “could” couldn’t possibly have the same nuances as “will” and “would,” for the each of these modal pairs refers to entirely different ideas.

Maybe the only valid comparison we can make between these two modal pairs is that they vary in a grammatically similar way in their past tense forms. “Would” conveys the idea of past habitual action, as in “In his younger days, he would take long hikes in the countryside,” and also serves as the past tense of “will” in indirect speech introduced by a verb in the past tense, as in “The convicted plunderer promised that he would not run for public office anymore.” In the same token, “could” conveys the idea of past ability, as in “When Anna was 4 she could already play to piano,” and also serve as the past tense of “can” in indirect speech introduced by a verb in the past tense, as in “The ventriloquist claimed that he could make a Boeing 767 vanish from sight.” I guess these parallel grammatical situations are the closest you can get to saying that “can” and “could” have the same nuance as “will” and “would.”
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:34:43 PM by Joe Carillo »

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 03:31:40 PM »
When can writers use can and could then?

I'm sorry about my comment on will and would. I've mistaken it with the American and British definitions of would  :-[

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 12:12:47 PM »
Last week, I clarified that the modals “will” and “can” are both present-tense forms that inflect in a grammatically similar way in the past tense—“will” changes to “would” and “can” to “could.” Thus, “can” in the present-tense sentence “I can play the piano” becomes “could” in the past-tense sentence “There was a time when I could play the piano.” Also, the past-tense forms “would” and “could” are used in indirect speech when it’s introduced by a verb in the past tense: “The fallen boxing champion promised that he would avoid any more distractions in his boxing career.” “The clerics asserted that they could make the RH Bill voted out in Congress.”

Now, in reply to your new question, let's take up the specific uses of “can” and “could.”

First, “can” is used to convey the ability or means, knowledge, money, or equipment to do something: “I can play the piano.” “I can do integral calculus.” “I can afford a weekend vacation in Hong Kong.” “They can haul all that trash in half a day.”

Second, “can” is used for declaring that you see, hear, feel, taste, smell, understand, or remember something: “We can see the valley from here.” “I can hear you loud and clear.” “I can taste a hint of cinnamon in this bread.” “We can still remember when Typhoon Trix demolished our house in 1952.”

Third, “can” is used for saying what can possibly be done: “We can go shopping anytime you want.” “We can go biking all day.”

Fourth, “can” is used for saying that it’s possible to do something: “With a smartphone, you can now surf the web while traveling.” “We can fly to Bangkok for less than $100 during off-seasons.”

Fifth, “can” conveys the idea of being allowed to do something or having the right or power to do something: “You can share my condominium unit if you want,” “No need for a travel agent; we can make our flight bookings ourselves online anytime.”

Sixth, “can” is used as a mark of civility or politeness when making spoken requests or when offering or suggesting something: “Can you tell me how to say ‘I love you’ in French?” “Can I offer you a ride home?” “Can I carry that shopping bag for you?” (This is as opposed to bluntly saying: “Tell me how to say ‘I love you’ in French.” “I want to offer you a ride home.” “I’ll carry that shopping bag for you.”)

“Can” in its negative form “cannot” or “can’t” is used for emphasizing that something should not happen or continue: “That’s something I cannot do under the circumstances.” “We can’t allow these religious charlatans to dictate what’s right or wrong.” The negative forms “cannot” or “can’t” is also used to express shock or surprise: “She can’t speak for me! How presumptuous of her!”

As I indicated at the outset, the modal “can” inflects to “could” when a present-tense sentence is rendered in the past tense: “I could do integral calculus when I was in college.” “Before he got married, he could afford annual vacations in Europe.” “Before they put up those high-rise condominiums, we could see the valley from here.”

In spoken form, of course, “could” is used to make a deferential or more polite request, offer, or suggestion: “Could you tell me how to say ‘I love you’ in French?” “Could I offer you a ride home?” (Compare these to their likewise polite but less deferential equivalents using “can” that were given earlier: ‘Can you tell me how to say ‘I love you’ in French?” “Can I offer you a ride home?”)

Their usage may look complicated, but with constant practice, the choice between “can” and “could” should become instinctive to all of us.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 05:26:35 PM by Joe Carillo »

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 02:07:56 PM »
But what about if the modal was introduced by the conjunction as? Is it correct to prefer can, which is the present-tense form of could, for it?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 08:46:21 AM »
When the modal “can” or “could” is introduced by the conjunction “as,” the choice will depend on the tense and conditionality of the statement.

Use “can” for simple declaratives in the present tense: “Do it as fast as you can.”
Use “could” for simple declaratives in the past tense: “I did it as fast as I could.”

In the case of conditional statements, use “could” regardless of whether they are in the present or past tense. Present tense: “If you leave that camera with us now, we will fix it as fast as we could.” Past tense: “We told the lady that if she would leave the camera with us right then, we would fix it as fast as we could.”

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 12:28:49 PM »
Thank you, Sir! 8)

Y

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »
Present tense: “If you leave that camera with us now, we will fix it as fast as we could.”

That sounds incorrect to me.  It seems better to say, "If you leave that camera with us now, we will fix it as fast as we can." 

I'd probably only use 'could' if the sentence had been "If you had left that camera with us then, we would have fixed it as fast as we could."

kat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 10:48:16 AM »
Why is there no reply to Y's valid objection to "...as fast as we could..."?   No native English speaker would ever speak in that way.

kat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »
Why is there no reply to Y's valid objection to "...as fast as we could..."?   No native English speaker would ever speak in that way.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
I’m sorry that I overlooked Y’s January 15 posting, but I must say here that I am perplexed by the following double-barreled, unpleasantly demanding follow-up question by forum member Kat, twice posted at that:

Why is there no reply to Y’s valid objection to “...as fast as we could...”? No native English speaker would ever speak in that way.

I really wonder by what authority anyone could have the effrontery to say that “No native English speaker would ever speak in that way” regarding English. I think only a language expert like, say, H. W. Fowler or Samuel Johnson would have the credentials and audacity to make such a sweeping proclamation, but as far as I know, they are not on record to have done so. I guess it’s a measure of their humility that they didn’t have to brandish their widely acknowledged expertise in the English language like an avenging sword.

This is why I must say that Y’s unpolemical way of stating his case is much more pleasant and welcome than the two follow-ups made on his behalf. Its tone is definitely much more conducive to a healthy discussion of grammar and usage issues in this Forum.

Now that I have expressed my earnest wish for civility in the Forum, I will now answer Y’s feedback.

Y says that it seems better to say “If you leave that camera with us now, we will fix it as fast as we can” (his suggested version) than “If you leave that camera with us now, we will fix it as fast as we could” (my version). By preferring “can,” it seems to me that Y has in mind the sense of “be physically or mentally able to” in the present tense—a sense that, of course, is grammatically and semantically correct in every way. What I had in mind, however, is “could” in the sense of “be made possible or probable by circumstances to” and at the same time suggesting less force or certainty than “can.” I definitely didn’t use “could” in that sentence as the past tense of “can,” which is what Y might have supposed, in which case “could” would have been wrong usage indeed!

Recall now that the verbal auxiliary “could” is used not only as the past tense of “can,” as in “Manila was as far as we could go at that time,” but also as an alternative to “can” in the present tense to suggest less force or certainty, as in “We certainly will come to Manila if we could, but our schedule might not allow it.” I therefore see no problem at all in my usage of “could” in the sentence in question, and I simply couldn’t understand the malevolent condemnation of that usage by anyone no matter his or her expertise as a native English speaker.

kat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 10:33:39 AM »
Sir, the follow-up question was posted a second time because Y's query was overlooked not only the first time but the second time, too.   I repeat - any native English speaker who came up with "We certainly will come to Manila if we could....etc" would cause eyebrows to be raised among his peers; and among many a Filipino, too, I suspect.