Author Topic: Uses and Meanings of Would in the present tense  (Read 6575 times)

Michael E. Galario

• View Profile
Uses and Meanings of Would in the present tense
« on: November 17, 2012, 02:56:45 PM »

Hi Sir. I know you already answered some of the questions raised by the other members of this forum regarding the uses of would. I would just like to request if you could possibly give us a more detailed explanation of the uses of would in the present tense. Could you please provide us with a more detailed example and a corresponding explanation for such usage. Thanks!  :) :) :)

Here are some of the examples that we may begin with in analyzing.

The preposition that would yield the correct sense is, of course, “from among,” meaning that the “one or two people” specified in the sentence belongs to the totality of all the people visiting hospitals.

I would like to introduce myself.

Would that be ok?

At any rate, here, from Jim Wegryn’s “A Barrelful of Words,” are some other collective nouns that would make sense.

How is would used in the sentences above?

Should I commit grammatical mistakes on my post here, please do not hesitate to correct me. I'm more than willing to be corrected.And, this is what I am for here. =)

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 03:03:52 PM by youngmentor »
"The only thing that's worse than not knowing how to do something is to do something wrong while believing that it's right."

Remember: We may know something but definitely not everything.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Uses and Meanings of Would in the present tense
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 03:56:03 PM »
Mike, it looks like your posting missed out on the examples you mentioned, so I can't reply to it just now. I suggest you supply those elements first so we can get the discussion started in earnest. 

Michael E. Galario

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:03:28 PM »
Mike, it looks like your posting missed out on the examples you mentioned, so I can't reply to it just now. I suggest you supply those elements first so we can get the discussion started in earnest. 

Hi sir. I'm sorry for the confusion.
Could you please tell me exactly what is wrong with the examples I provided.
Please bear with me. I hope you won't get tired of answering my questions.
Thank you.

Example 1: The preposition that would yield the correct sense is, of course, “from among,” meaning that the “one or two people” specified in the sentence belongs to the totality of all the people visiting hospitals.

For this example, Let us say, a teacher is explaining about the uses of preposition to his student at the moment and she has used the given example above as her statement, I would like to know how is would use in the sentence and what is the meaning that WOULD carries in the sentence.

Thank you!  :)
"The only thing that's worse than not knowing how to do something is to do something wrong while believing that it's right."

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 09:07:50 AM »
Thanks for clarifying your first posting. I had a problem identifying the usage examples you wanted me to analyze because they were not marked as such. Usually, here in the Forum, sentences or passages are marked by putting them under quotes to clearly set them apart from the body of the posting. In the case of your examples, however, there were no such markings, so your examples just incomprehensibly blended with the rest of your posting, and it did seem that you were unable to attach or link to the examples you were referring to. So in future, Mike, when giving examples of sentences or passages, always mark them with double quotes and unquotes to clearly set them apart from your own statements.

Now, let’s take up your question about the first example you provided:

“The preposition that would yield the correct sense is, of course, ‘from among,’ meaning that the ‘one or two people’ specified in the sentence belongs to the totality of all the people visiting hospitals.”

To paraphrase your question for greater clarity, why does that sentence use the form “would yield” instead of “will yield,” and what, if any, is the grammatical and semantic distinction between them?

That sentence uses the modal form “would yield” instead of the future-tense “will yield” to denote a choice or instruction instead of simple futurity of the action. This usage, which is more pronounced in spoken British English, is usually for situations in which the speaker is instructing or advising someone to do something in a certain way. It doesn’t mean, though, that using the “will yield” form is grammatically wrong; in fact, in written American English, that distinction is rarely observed. To evoke the same sense of choice or instruction, we can write that same sentence using the form “will yield”: “The preposition that will yield the correct sense is, of course, ‘from among,’ meaning that the ‘one or two people’ specified in the sentence belongs to the totality of all the people visiting hospitals.” Personally, however, I would prefer the modal “would yield” form anytime because it emphasizes the sense of instruction rather than simple futurity of the action. That, to me, is too big a distinction to simply gloss over by using the “will + verb” form.

As to your second example, “I would like to introduce myself,” the modal form “would like” is used to convey in a polite way the sense of one’s willingness or desire to do something. One thing you’ll notice about this modal usage is that it has no valid equivalent using the “will like” form. We can’t say “I will like to introduce myself,” and to say “I will introduce myself” is impolite and rough, to say the least. Indeed, its ability to attenuate roughness in language is one of the major virtues of the modal “would” as opposed to plain “will.” Check out my earlier posting on this aspect of the modal “would” by clicking this link to “Will and would,” October 3, 2012.

And as to your third example, “At any rate, here, from Jim Wegryn’s ‘A Barrelful of Words,’ are some other collective nouns that would make sense.” Why is “would” used here instead of “will”?

That sentence is actually of the same type as the first example you presented—it’s making an instruction rather than just indicating the simple futurity of the action. To make that distinction clear, “would make sense” is the preferred usage, but then again, this is largely for spoken instruction. In the usual written form not intended for vocal delivery, using “will make sense” isn’t grammatically wrong and if you did, only the most rabid purist grammarians would notice and attempt to correct you.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:49:26 AM by Joe Carillo »

Michael E. Galario

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 03:15:18 PM »
Thank you sir for shedding lights on the usage of would in the present tense.
Everything is clear now.
I'l just keep on browsing on this site for any other info that would help in developing
my command of the English language.Please do expect postings from me soon.  :) :) :)