Author Topic: "Will" and "would"  (Read 14418 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
"Will" and "would"
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:29:13 PM »
Which really of the two should writers used to convey certainty?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:35:25 AM by Joe Carillo »

Mwita Chacha

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will and would
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 01:50:55 PM »
I was about to ask very same question, Miss Mae, if not in the way you've done. I myself find it particularly confusing as to the proper usage of the two modal verbs when talking of future actions in the present moment. I fail to realize what the difference is, for example, between ''I will travel to Washington next weekend'' and ''I would travel to Washington next weekend.'' 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:58:32 PM by Mwita Chacha »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
Before attempting to make a distinction between the usage of “will” and “would,” let me explain first what these two words are and how they work in English. They are auxiliary verbs that belong to a class of grammatical forms called modals, the function of which is to indicate predication of an action or state in some manner other than as a simple fact. Modals allow main verbs to be used in denoting various shades of conditionality; in other words, they make it possible for verbs to be used in the fine art of calibrated affirmation and negation.

The modals “will” and “would” are just two of the ten most common English modals, which also count among their ranks the modal auxiliaries “can,” “could,” “may,” “might,” “must,” “should,” “shall,” and “ought to.” I have described only the most basic usage of these modals in my book English Plain and Simple: No-Nonsense Ways to Learn Today’s Global Language; now I must hasten to add that this basic usage is only the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. In practice, these modals actually have such a vast multiplicity of usage that can very well take a whole grammar book to describe and explain.

At this time, however, we’ll focus only on the difference between the modals “will” and “would” to answer your immediate question about them. As we know, of course, the plain verb auxiliary “will” works with a main verb to indicate the simple futurity of an action, as in “They will leave tomorrow.” On the other hand, the modal “will” basically indicates a willingness to do something in the present, as in “I will sing.” When a speaker or writer uses the modal “will,” a categorical declaration is made that the action denoted by the main verb will be done. Such categorical declarations can be in the form of quick decisions (“I think I will buy the laptop instead of the desktop”), promises (“I’ll fix that leaking faucet”), offers (“I will campaign for you in the coming election”), and off-the-cuff predictions (“We’ll bet that player won’t make it to first base”).

The modal “would” has many more uses than the modal “will.” Basically, “would” indicates a past or present willingness to do something (“I would do it for her if she asks me”) or a polite request or invitation to someone to do something for the speaker or writer (“Would you dance with me?” “Would you care for a cup of tea?). Other than these uses, the modal “would” is also used when asking permission (“Would I be able to take the day off on Friday?”), when talking about preferences (“I would prefer Paris to Rome”), and when making arrangements (“Would Friday at noon be fine with you”). And then the modal “would” is used to talk about imaginary situations (“If I knew her cellphone number, I’d ring her up right now”) and impossible or unlikely situations (“If I had taken that plane, I would be in Hong Kong now).”

There are actually so many more aspects of the modal “would” that we need to learn before we can fully master its usage. The most comprehensive and exhaustive discussion of its usage that I have come across is that of The MacMillan Dictionary, which separately discusses both the American English and the British English usage of “would.” For MacMillan’s American English definition and usage, click this link; and for the British English definition and usage, click this other link. I’m sure that when you’re done reading these discussions of the modal “would,” you’d have become much more confident in using it in your writing and in your spoken conversations.

Go for those readings on “would” now!

P.S. As to Mwita Chacha’s question on the difference between “'I will travel to Washington next weekend” and “I would travel to Washington next weekend,” I’d like to make this observation:

The first sentence that uses the verb auxiliary “will travel” is grammatically correct, but the second sentence is grammatically faulty. To make its use of the modal “would” valid, that sentence should be reconstructed as a conditional sentence like, say, “If I had the time and money, I would travel to Washington next weekend.” I must say that this distinction is actually very illustrative of the distinction between the usage of the verb auxiliary “will” and that of the modal “would.”
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:30:52 PM by Joe Carillo »

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 01:41:21 PM »
Thank you, Sir. I'll just read and reread the links  ;)

I could already imagine, though, that I would have a hard time. For nearly a decade now, I have been taught that would connotes more certainty than will, and always keep in mind these lines from a song to remember the point.

I will cross the ocean for you
I will go and bring you the moon
I will be your hero and strength
I will be everything you need

But some weeks ago, a TV talk show host who graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature at a prestigious university in the Philippines said otherwise. Could there be an easier way to remember the nuances of those modals?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »
I’m afraid that you were taught incorrectly that “would” denotes more certainty than “will,” but it’s never too late to unlearn faulty grammar learning. Let me also point out that the song lyrics you quoted are actually categorical declarations that leave no room for uncertainty, so they are correctly using “will” instead of “would”:

I will cross the ocean for you
I will go and bring you the moon
I will be your hero and strength
I will be everything you need

Now, simply to further highlight the distinction between “will” and “would,” those lyrics could very well use “would” instead of “will” if they are made conditional in the following manner:

If you say you love me too
I would cross the ocean for you
I would go and bring you the moon
I would be your hero and strength
I would be everything you need

When declarations are made conditional by “if,” of course, there is less certainty that those declarations would really be fulfilled and come true.

There really are no short-cuts to learning modals that I know of. You just have to thoroughly study the nuances of modality to master this rather elusive aspect of English grammar.

As to that modal-savvy TV talk show host, regardless of whether he or she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature at a prestigious or a run-of-the-mill university in the Philippines or elsewhere in the world, may his or her tribe increase! The important thing is that he or she did learn the modals right.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 01:54:43 PM »
Thank you, Sir! I'll really start studying these modals  ;)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 01:56:55 PM »
There's really no difference except that should could be used for would in sentences observing British English construction with I or we as subjects, right?