Author Topic: The sheer undemocratic arrogance of going house-to-house campaigning  (Read 9950 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
The sheer undemocratic arrogance of going house-to-house
to educate elderly voters to shift to your political candidates

From a recent Facebook post of Maricor Zapata

CTTO*:  House to House Campaigning Scenario:

24 y.o : Magandang hapon po, pwedeng magtanong?
60 y.o:  Tungkol saan?
24 y.o: Sino po iboboto ninyong Presidente?
60 y.o: BBM.
24 y.o: Ay, let me educate you...
60 y.o: Wait lang… Graduate ako ng BS Agriculture, LLb, at MA in Public Administration, ano ba ang natapos mo na gusto mong ituro sa akin?
24 y.o: HRM po ako, pero about sa politics naman ang ituturo ko.
60 y.o: Meron ako 21 units ng Education at 18 units ng Political Science, ilang units ka ba?
24 y.o: Eh... About po sa pagpili ng candidate sa election...
60 y.o: Ah tungkol sa elections pala. Siguro mga 15 elections na ang experience ko, ikaw ilang beses ka nang bumoto?
24 y.o: Ganito na lang po, mahal niyo po ba ang pamilya mo?
60 y.o: 40 years na kami ng asawa ko, nagsakripisyo ako ng trabaho at napaaral ang apat na anak ko, at inaalagaan ko ang mga apo ko pag wala ang parents nila. Ikaw paano mo pinapakita ang pagmamahal sa pamilya mo? Ano ang tulong mo sa mga magulang at kapatid mo?
24 y.o: Eh, eh, paano na lang po ang kinabukasan naming kabataan kung si BBM ang manalo?
60 y.o: Anak, nakaranas ako ng buhay under kay Marcos, Cory, Ramos, Erap, Gloria, PNoy, at Duterte. Walang ni isa man sa kanila ang nakialam sa buhay ko. Ako ang gumawa ng kung ano man ang narating ko sa buhay.
24 y.o: Ah, ah, sige po, tuloy at magpaaalam na po ako...
60 y.o: Ingat ka bata, maraming pilosopo diyan, baka mapikon o makapikon ka... Kawawa naman ang kandidato mo pag inaway mo sila. Siguradong di sila boboto sa kandidato mo sa ginagawa ninyong ito. O eto tubig, iho, inom ka muna. Tapos mamaya pag-uwi mo, tulungan mo ang nanay mong maglaba at maghugas ng plato para may silbi ka sa bahay ha. Respetuhin po natin at iwasang makasakit sa damdamin ng inyong kapwa. Iboto na lang po ninyo ang gusto ninyo, at sana po huwag na po natin pakialaman yung gusto ng iba!

ENGLISH TRANSLATION:

CTTO*:  House to House Campaigning Scenario:

24 y.o: Good afternoon, may I ask a question?
60 y.o: What about?
24 y.o: Who will you vote for President?
60 y.o: BBM
24 y.o: Ay, let me educate you...
60 y.o: Oh wait… I graduated BS Agriculture, LLb, and MA in Public Administration. What did you finish that you are going to teach me?
24 y.o: HRM but I’m going to teach you about politics.
60 y.o: I have 21 units of Education and 18 units of Political Science. How many units have you earned?
24 y.o: Well, umh, about choosing a candidate for the election...
60 y.o: Ah. so you’re here about the elections… Maybe my experience is about 15 elections, how many times have you voted?
24 y.o: Oh, umh, in that case may I ask you this: Do you love your family?
60 y.o: My husband and I are 40 years old, I sacrificed my job and my 4 children were able to study, and I took care of my grandchildren when their parents were not there. How do you show love to your family? What kind of help do you give your parents and siblings?
24 y.o: Eh, umh, how about the future of our youth if BBM wins?
60 y.o: Son, I experienced life under Marcos, Cory, Ramos, Erap, Gloria, PNoy, and Duterte. Not one of them had interfered in my life. I’m the one who created whatever I’ve been through in life.
24 y.o: Ah, ah, okay, in that case may I go now?
60 y.o: Be careful kid, there are many philosophers out there who might upset you... Your candidate would be at the losing end if you argue with or fight them. Surely they won’t vote for your candidate. Here’s water… Drink first before you go. Then later when you get home, help your mother wash the dishes so you can be of some use at home, okay? Let's respect others and avoid getting angry with the feelings of others. Just vote for what you want, and I hope we don't mind what others want!
-------------------
*CCTO –social media acronym for “Credit To The  Owner.”

[I share exactly these thoughts about how undemocratically arrogant it is to breezily go house-to-house  to educate elder people to vote for your political candidate. Whatever your political persuasion or leanings, this is refreshingly insightful and instructive stuff! – Jose A. Carillo]

RELATED READINGS:
1. "Re: An idiomatic felicitation must fit the spirit of the occasion"
2. "CHED chair corrects Rappler tweet on 'scholar of the VP'"
3. "Doing more truthful, rational, responsible social media posts - 1"
4. "Doing more truthful, rational, responsible social media posts - 2"
5. "Doing more truthful, rational, responsible social media posts - 3"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 03:38:14 PM by Joe Carillo »