Author Topic: “Freedom” can be singular or plural depending on the intended sense  (Read 3416 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Question by Forum member Justine Aragones sent through my Facebook Messenger (June 13, 2020):

Sir, isn’t the word “freedom” in this news update considered as abstract noun and it cannot be in the plural form?

My reply to Justine:

No, Justine, there’s no problem with the plural usage of the abstract noun “freedom” in that news update; “freedom” can be singular or plural depending on the intended sense. However, whether through the fault of the Philippine Star or of VP Leni Robredo’s speechwriter or press office, the sentence construction “As the country commemorates the anniversary of the proclamation of Philippine independence, Vice President Leni Robredo reminded that our freedoms are connected” is grammatically and syntactically defective on three counts:

(1) The phrase “as the country commemorates the anniversary of the proclamation of Philippine independence” is grammatically redundant and wordy; the phrase “of the proclamation” is pompously extraneous and need to be knocked off to simply read as follows: “as the country commemorates the anniversary of Philippine independence”;

(2) The main clause “Vice President Leni Robredo reminded that our freedoms are connected” is grammatically faulty because it is missing its direct object and misuses the collective “our”; it should be corrected to “Vice President Leni Robredo reminded her fellow Filipinos that the freedoms they enjoy are connected”; and

(3) The use of the phrase “our freedoms are connected” is rather loose and inconsequential in sense; it will read much better and be more meaningful as “our freedoms are interconnected” or some such.

In sum, Justine, the grammar and syntax of that whole defective sentence can be made beyond reproach by being reconstructed this way: “As the country commemorates the 122nd anniversary of Philippine independence, Vice President Leni Robredo reminded her fellow Filipinos that the freedoms they enjoy are interconnected and inseparable.”

That’s all.

Rejoinder from Justine (June 13, 2020):

Thank you, sir. I was not able to direct post that question in the forum due to erratic internet speed.

And today, Sec. Yasay passed away. I think he is articulate in the use of English language. I love listening to his interviews.