Author Topic: Question about the grammar and semantics of a statement  (Read 11783 times)

benedict

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Question about the grammar and semantics of a statement
« on: March 24, 2019, 03:33:34 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I just want to ask if the last parts of the passage below which I have read in a book is grammatically correct and why:

"Students receiving presurvey of their knowledge thought they did worse on this quiz than did participants who confronted the more comforting presurvey."

Should it not be " than those participants who confronted the more comforting presurvey."

Thank you in advance.

-Benedict
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 11:09:46 PM by Joe Carillo »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: than did vs. than those
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 11:13:50 PM »
In English grammar, the scrupulously correct construction of the sentence you presented is as follows:

"Students receiving presurvey of their knowledge thought they did worse on this quiz than did those who confronted the more comforting presurvey."

The phrase "than did those" is what's known as a comparative repeater phrase that more concisely and more succinctly replaces the longer phrase "than the participants" (alternatively "than the students"). Keep in mind that what is being compared here is the performance of the participants in the quiz ('worse...than"), not the participants themselves. (Notice that using the comparative repeater phrase provides substantial savings of several characters or letters of the alphabet.)

IMAGE CREDIT: CASTBOX.FM

The version you suggested, ""Students receiving presurvey of their knowledge thought they did worse on this quiz than participants who confronted the more comforting presurvey," missed out on the verb "did," which changes the sense of the original sentence altogether, thus wrongly comparing the participants themselves than their comparative performance in the quiz.

(I suggest though that you verify whether the statement you presented is faithful to the original statement in your source book. I seriously doubt the precision of its semantics. I would think that it would make much better sense if constructed this way: "Students receiving presurvey of their knowledge thought they did worse on this quiz than did those who did not receive the more comforting presurvey." My point is that what's being compared here is the performance of students receiving the presurvey against those who didn't receive it rather than those "who confronted the presurvey," which is an altogether different--and I must say strange and tangential--comparative parameter.)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:40:34 PM by Joe Carillo »

benedict

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: than did vs. than those
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 06:21:54 PM »
Hi Sir Joe,

Sorry for my late reply and thank you very much again for your response.

Kind regards,
Benedict