Author Topic: Election, elections, and making one happy  (Read 9538 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Election, elections, and making one happy
« on: February 24, 2019, 01:17:24 PM »
Is "election" more appropriate to use than "elections"? Why do some say the coming 2019 Philippine midterm election while others, 2019 elections?

Also, can you really "make" someone "happy"? I've come to believe that happiness is a personal decision so one can only give reasons for that someone to be happy; only the latter can say if he or she became happy.

Thank you.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Election, elections, and making one happy
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 01:51:06 PM »
I don't think the singular noun "election" is more appropriate than the plural "elections" in the context of its specific usage in the coming 2019 Philippine midterm elections. You see, we are talking here of electing numerous public officials for various posts in both the national, district, and local (city and municipal) levels, so there will in fact be as many elections as there are elective posts to be filled. It is therefore grammatically and semantically more appropriate to use the plural "elections" to refer to the totality of the exercise of electing those aspiring for those posts. Of course, it would be different if only one electoral exercise is involved, as in the case of a special election to fill up an unexpected vacancy in a single post for whatever reason. In such instances, the use of the singular "election" would undoubtedly and indisputably be called for.

About your second question: I personally believe it's perfectly possible and to be expected for anyone to be made happy by another person or by a most auspicious, satisfying, or delightful event or outcome. I don't think it's correct or advisable for anyone to think that happiness is a personal decision; on the contrary, for people with sound mind and body, happiness is wholly and invariably brought about by positive and wholesome factors and circumstances outside of ourselves as individuals. Without pleasant and auspicious interactions or relationships with others outside of themselves, I doubt that anyone would be capable of attaining happiness in the true sense of that word.   

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Election, elections, and making one happy
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 04:35:34 PM »
Uh, oh.

If it's any consolation, I at least wouldn't have to say that, for example, I wish I have made you happy in so many words.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:37:20 PM by Miss Mae »