Author Topic: How to use “can” and “could” and “will” and “would”  (Read 6410 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
(Due to an oversight, the Forum was unable to post this essay on January 3, 2019 following the regular schedule for the series. Our apologies.)

How to use “can” and “could” and “will” and “would”

These are pretty basic things in English grammar, but sometime ago, a Forum contributor who was then a Hong Kong-based journalist and English teacher felt compelled to ask me the following questions:

“Joe, have you tackled ‘can’ and ‘could,’ which are often misused? Come to think of it, ‘will’ and ‘would’ can also get confusing sometimes. And while I’m at it, have you ever discussed the quaint use of ‘sir’ before male first names by Filipino underlings towards their bosses? This is obviously a colonial hang-up that’s comical in its obsequiousness.”

My reply to Isabel E.:

Yes, I’ve tackled those four modal forms several times in the Forum, but do I share your concern about their frequent misuse, so I’ll now make a quick review of them.

We learn early in English grammar that “can” and “could” convey the idea of ability, possibility, permission, or potential. “Can” is the present-tense form, as in “She can play the piano,” but it inflects to “could” in the past tense,” as in “There was a time when she could play the piano.”

IMAGE CREDIT: PINTEREST.COM

On the other hand, “will” and “would” convey the idea of desire, choice, willingness, consent, or habitual or customary action. “Will” is the present-tense form, as in “We will follow his orders without question,” but it inflects to “would” in the past tense, as in “During his first year in office, we would follow his orders without question.” (This modal use of “will” is distinct from its use for expressing simple futurity, as in “She will leave for Singapore at noon tomorrow.”)

These four modals can convey various other senses and nuances as well.

In particular, “can” is used (a) for declaring what can be perceived by the senses, as in “I can taste a hint of lime in this drink”; (b) for saying what can possibly be done: “You can sleep all day if you want”; (c) for conveying the idea of being allowed to do something or having the right or power to do something: “You can live in my apartment while I’m away”; and (d) as a mark of civility or politeness when making spoken requests or when offering or suggesting something: “Can you tell me how to refuse his offer without offending him?” (This is in contrast to bluntly saying, “Tell me how to refuse his offer without offending him.”).

In contrast, “could” is used to make a deferential or more polite request, offer, or suggestion: “Could you tell me how to refuse his offer without offending him?” This use of “could” instead of “can” is largely dictated by the speaker’s awareness that the person being addressed is superior or of higher social station.   

The modal “would” is likewise used to express politeness and deference in conveying intent or desire, as in “Would you consider my daughter’s application for internship?” This is as opposed to the straightforward suggestion or pointed request conveyed by “Will you consider my daughter’s application for internship?”

One more thing: the past-tense modals “would” and “could” are used in indirect speech that’s introduced by a verb in the past tense, as in “Archimedes declared that he could move the world if only he had the lever to lift it” and in “The erring chief executive pledged that he would stop any more unlawful spending.”

These are about all that we absolutely need to know regarding the usage of “can” and “could” and “will” and “would.”

As to the quaint use of “sir” before male first names by Filipino subordinates towards their bosses, I find it disagreeable myself but I don’t feel qualified to discuss it. Perhaps some astute Filipino social scientist can enlighten us about this quirk in the language of the Philippine workplace.

(Next: Why some academics tend to encode their insights into turgid English)  January 10, 2019     

This essay, 1,125th of the series, appeared in the column “English Plain and Simple” by Jose A. Carillo in the Campus Press section of the January 3, 2019 print edition of The Manila Times, © 2019 by the Manila Times Publishing Corp. All rights reserved.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 11:44:07 PM by Joe Carillo »