Author Topic: When it becomes a must to split infinitives for clarity’s sake  (Read 5766 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
An American reader, C. Gordon Hale, posted the following response to a column of mine a few years ago on the need to put an end to the annoying “at the end of the day” plague in public discourse:

“Thank you for condemning the excessive use of ‘at the end of the day’ and similarly annoying clichés. But not only in the Philippines have both spoken and written English become badly corrupted by vulgar colloquialisms and abysmal grammar. The state of contemporary English usage in the U.S. is truly lamentable!

“Please forgive me, but I couldn’t help but react to the split infinitives in your paragraphs 9 and 10—‘to never again’—really?”

REALLY NOW, SHOULD WE EVER SPLIT INFINITIVES OR NOT AT ALL?

I expressed my appreciation to Gordon for sharing my serious concern over the “at the end of the day” plague, and as to my use of split infinitives, I commented in passing: “I actually split them at will for stylistic purposes, but I’m also aware that splitting infinitives indiscriminately can be bad for prose.”

Let me now address more fully the matter of splitting infinitives.

To put things in context, I would like to emphasize that although most authorities in modern English grammar have dropped their objection to the splitting of infinitives, their usage continues to invite controversy. My personal position though is that unless splitting an infinitive results in bad syntax or semantics, taking recourse to it shouldn’t be cause for debate.

Consider the two instances where I appeared to have split an infinitive in the paragraphs referred to by Gordon (italicizations below mine):

“Second, public officials from the national level down to the local governments should undergo an English reorientation program designed to, among others, curb their predilection for using ‘at the end of the day’ and other dreadful clichés in public speaking engagements and media interviews.

“And third, TV and radio network owners should seriously consider penalizing talk-show hosts or news anchors with hefty fines for overusing ‘at the end of the day’ and such clichés, and to never again invite talk-show guests who habitually spout them more than, say, twice in a row during a particular show.”

In the first paragraph, Gordon appears to consider the phrase “to, among others, curb their predilection for using ‘at the end of the day’” as an infinitive phrase split by the adverbial “among others.” Grammatically, however, it’s not a split infinitive phrase, for its “to” is actually not an infinitive marker but a preposition of purpose that links the verb “designed” to its complement “curb their predilection.”

Even assuming for the sake of argument that the form in question is an infinitive phrase, it still would be necessary to split it for clarity’s sake. For when unsplit, that phrase would read as follows: “an English reorientation program designed, among others, to curb their predilection.” This gives the wrong idea that several English reorientation programs were designed for one purpose, not only one program designed for several purposes.

In the second paragraph, to make the statement more emphatic, I split the infinitive phrase “to invite talk-show guests” by inserting “never again,” resulting in the genuine split infinitive “to never again invite talk-show guests who habitually spout them.”

Now see how confusing that statement becomes when the infinitive phrase is unsplit and the adverbial “never again” is placed ahead of it: “…TV and radio network owners should seriously consider never again to invite talk-show guests who habitually spout them.” Here, “never again” has become a squinting modifier, seemingly modifying both the verb “consider” and the infinitive “to invite.”

That statement gets even more troublesome in tone and syntax when, just to avoid splitting the infinitive, “never again” is positioned after the unsplit infinitive phrase: “…TV and radio network owners should seriously consider to invite talk-show guests never again who habitually spout them more than, say, twice in a row during a particular show.”

We thus can see that unless splitting the infinitive results in bad syntax or semantics, it really should be considered airtight usage that we need not bother going out of our way to avoid.   

This essay first appeared in the column “English Plain and Simple” by Jose A. Carillo in the print and online editions of the January 11, 2014 issue of The Manila Times, © 2014 by the Manila Times Publishing Corp. All rights reserved.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 12:58:34 AM by Joe Carillo »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: When it becomes a must to split infinitives for clarity’s sake
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 12:28:17 PM »
This comment was posted today, April 17, 2018, by my Facebook friend Thel Reymundo Juarez on the Forum's Facebook Gateway:

Hi Jose, thanks for sharing this one. I do not know if this is a question of grammar but i would have written, "....designed, among other things, to...." - the comma, after ' designed' only because that's where i would have paused briefly...if i was speaking, not writing about the topic; i tend to write like i talk..or i think with my fingertips...is this okay? Thanks again!

My reply to Thel as posted on the Forum's Facebook Gateway:

Thel, examine this sentence construction in full using the unsplit infinitive "to curb":

“Second, public officials from the national level down to the local governments should undergo an English reorientation program designed, among others, to curb their predilection for using ‘at the end of the day’ and other dreadful clichés in public speaking engagements and media interviews.”

The construction clearly implies that there are several other English reorientation programs--not only one, which is really the case--that have been designed for the purpose of curbing that particular predilection.

Now look at this reconstruction of that sentence with the infinitive "to curb" split:

“Second, public officials from the national level down to the local governments should undergo an English reorientation program designed to, among others, curb their predilection for using ‘at the end of the day’ and other dreadful clichés in public speaking engagements and media interviews.”

This time, the sense is clearly that only one English reorientation program is being referred to, and that it was designed to perform several tasks other than the purpose of curbing that particular predilection that's actually stated in the sentence.

To further clarify this important distinction in sense, let's imagine a series of such other tasks being enumerated in that sentence:

“Second, public officials from the national level down to the local governments should undergo an English reorientation program designed to, among others: (a) curb their predilection for using ‘at the end of the day’ and other dreadful clichés in public speaking engagements and media interviews; (b) encourage their use of more precise and literal end-of-duration expressions like 'when the activity is over'; and (c) make them more conscious that habitual overuse of idiomatic expressions like 'at the end of the day' detracts from rather than enhance their credibility."

The above construction with "to curb" unsplit simply won't work because the intended sense gets lost altogether. Look:

“Second, public officials from the national level down to the local governments should undergo an English reorientation program designed, among others, (a) to curb their predilection for using ‘at the end of the day’ and other dreadful clichés in public speaking engagements and media interviews; (b) to encourage their use of more precise and literal end-of-duration expressions like 'when the activity is over'; and (c) make them more conscious that habitual overuse of idiomatic expressions like 'at the end of the day' detracts from rather than enhance their credibility."

I realize that we are walking on a slippery semantic slope here, but I trust that this has clarified rather than just further muddled the matter of using of split infinitives in some grammatical situations that call for them.