Author Topic: Writing to hook the reader  (Read 5872 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Writing to hook the reader
« on: October 24, 2009, 01:18:56 AM »
In an essay that I wrote about the language of the Philippine national election campaign in 2004, I briefly discussed the classic advertising acronym AIDA, which I said was an opera of sorts in four acts: A for “Attention,” I for “Interest,” D for “Desire,” and a different A for “Action.” It struck me at the time that like advertising people and propagandists, all communicators in general—and that, of course, includes fiction and nonfiction writers and writers for the mass media as well—must  do their own unique performance of AIDA to get their message across and get people to think things their way. And that, of course, wouldn’t happen at all if they didn’t perform the very first of the four acts of the writing opera: the “Attention” cue, or getting the reader interested to read them in the first place.

IMAGE CREDIT: SLIDESHARE.NET

I am thus tempted to begin discussing AIDA’s first A by saying that writers should come up with a creative opening that will hold readers by their lapels and never let go, but that would really be begging the point. Creativity is an elusive thing. It worked for the American novelist Herman Melville when he began his classic Moby Dick with this disarming three-word opening, “Call me Ishmael.” It worked for the Austrian writer Franz Kafka with this intriguing opening of The Metamorphosis, “As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.” And it worked for American legal-thriller writer Scott Turow in this compelling first paragraph of his novel Personal Injuries, “He knew it was wrong, and that he was going to get caught. He said he knew this day was coming.”

But what’s creative and interesting to us may either be too simple and too inconsequential to some, or too complex and too high-flown to others. There really is no single, fixed formula for it. The only mandatory thing is that whatever the chosen approach and style, the writer must be keenly aware of his or her primal obligation to keep the reader reading from beginning to finish.

I remember very well a consummate master of the “Attention” cue, but he was actually not a nonfiction or fiction writer; he was a noted Filipino industrial designer who used to ply the lecture circuit many years ago. His subject during a seminar-workshop I attended one hot summer afternoon was—if my memory serves me well—advertising communication, with focus on AIDA. We were just through with lunch after a hectic morning schedule, so most of us in the audience were naturally fagged and inattentive.

At that point, there came this bemoustached, bespectacled gentleman in his mid-forties carrying a tall stack of books, lecture notes, marking pens, boxes of marbles and paper clips—all those many little things you’d expect an intense university professor to haul into a classroom. He bellowed “Good afternoon!” to us, then promptly stumbled halfway to the lectern on the farther side of the room. As he made an effort to check his fall, all the things he was carrying flew helter-skelter over to us in the audience. That startled everyone, of course, so everybody’s impulse was to help the seemingly hapless and goofy lecturer gather his things. We were scampering all over the place picking them up, while he quietly took his time to regain his lost dignity and compose himself behind the lectern.

And when we had retrieved most of his things and had returned them to him, the sly fox spoke to us as if nothing untoward at all had happened: “Well, thank you, ladies and gentlemen! And now that I have your attention, I think you are now all ready for my lecture.” As might be expected, despite the ungodly timeslot, he and his talk turned out to be the most interesting and illuminating part of that seminar-workshop.

IMAGE CREDIT: SWALLOWTAILPRINT.CO.UK
SAMPLE CREATIVE REALIZATION OF THE AIDA ADVERTISING MODEL

Of course I’m not saying that we should emulate that lecturer’s guts in pulling off such a messy attention-getting caper; I find it too high-handed and I simply can’t imagine myself doing it in any situation. Still, I think it drives home my point very well. Whether we are selling a presidential candidate, hawking a consumer product, writing a feature story or newspaper column, perhaps writing literary fiction, we simply can’t escape the need to get the reader’s attention. If we can’t get it, the whole writing effort is wasted. That’s where performing our little “Attention” act from AIDA comes in. Call it showmanship, call it skill, call it art, call it creativity, call it by any other name—but do it, and give it the best you can. (April 19, 2004)

From the weekly column “English Plain and Simple” by Jose A. Carillo in The Manila Times, April 19, 2004 © 2004 by the Manila Times Publishing Corp. All rights reserved.
----
What do you think of my ideas in these essays? Click the Reply button to post your thoughts on Jose Carillo’s English Forum.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:36:37 PM by Joe Carillo »

renzphotography

Re: Writing to hook the reader
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 05:44:10 AM »

In medias res

This Latin phrase means "starting at the middle" or basically another way of saying  "get me interested first before you give me the details". I can't remember who shared this insight with me but I must admit that I am truly grateful to that person for introducing me to the concept.

To my mind, this is very essential in communication because like what our dear moderator has illustrated, a hook on the reader will ensure that the reader will go through the entire material thereby facilitating the initial and crucial step in communication.

Getting people "hooked" is important in journalism, literary writing, and even in salesmanship. In sales, the salesman has to get the prospect interested with a few words before the prospect decides to learn more about the sales offer or simply move on.

In journalism, especially in hard news writing, the title must be a "screamer" in the sense that it should be short and very catchy to entice people to read the news article. It also follows the pyramid style of organizing ideas so the most important and specific comes before the general and broad discussions.

In business writing, the executive summary must convince the reader before he considers reading the rest of the business plan or project study.

In public speaking, the first few lines of the speech must set the agenda to captivate the audience before the audience decides to chat among themselves or walk to the restroom.

In fiction writing, the in medias res style is quite common. Typically, this is when the narrative starts at the middle and then backtracks its way through the story line just to get readers hooked.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:11:42 PM by renzphotography »