Author Topic: Spend and Expend  (Read 28097 times)

Harvin Puno

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Spend and Expend
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:25:52 AM »
Hello Sr. I would like to ask if there is any difference between the word spend and expend?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spend and Expend
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 02:24:06 PM »
The verbs “spend” and “expend” are synonymous in the sense of using up or paying out for something, but they differ in the purpose of or expectation from the act. To “spend” is to use up or pay out for something without a deliberate purpose or conscious expectation of a return from the spending; in contrast, to “expend” is to pay out or make use of money or some resource for a specific purpose or return from the expenditure. Generally, then, spending is done habitually or freely or as a matter of course, as in the sentence “They spent most of their allowance on video games,” while expending is deliberate and purposive, as in the sentence “They expended most of their savings in the education of their children.”
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:00:00 AM by Joe Carillo »

LorrelSimson

• Initiate
    • MSN Messenger - josephdjackline@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LorrelSimson
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - LorrelSimson
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »
I too was bit confused among both the words. I used to write spend most of the time and avoid the word expend as I was unaware of the fact of how and where to use that word exactly. But now the doubts are clear and I can add some more words to my vocabulary.

grid

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • www.migrationexpert.com/visa_us/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:11:47 AM »
I'm also confuse with those words when I am constructing a sentence. Thank you so much for enlightened me about the difference between the two.