Author Topic: Email  (Read 3421 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Email
« on: April 12, 2012, 03:13:23 PM »
I still worry whenever I use that word. It's simply inconvenient when I write it on a text message limited to 160 characters only. The AP stylebook may have had changed e-mail to email, but is it also already accepted to convey an action?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Email
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:04:52 AM »
Not to worry about whether to hyphenate the word “e-mail” or not, whether using it as a noun or as a verb. Just follow your instinct. I think hardly anybody will castigate you for your choice, for “e-mail,” in keeping with its character as a product of the electronic age, is one of those words whose spelling and usage have been changing at warp speed anyway.

I haven’t really been keeping tabs on the changes in the spelling of “e-mail,” and my 2003-edition digital Merriam-Webster’s 11th Collegiate Dictionary already recognizes that word as a verb (though not its unhyphenated spelling yet), but it’s interesting to see what Wikipedia has to say about the evolution of e-mail as part of the English lexicon:

Spelling
Electronic mail has several English spelling options that occasionally prove cause for surprisingly vehement disagreement.
email is the form required by IETF Requests for Comment and working groups and increasingly by style guides. This spelling also appears in most dictionaries.
e-mail is a form previously recommended by some prominent journalistic and technical style guides. According to Corpus of Contemporary American English data, this is the form that appears most frequently in edited, published American English writing.
mail was the form used in the original RFC. The service is referred to as mail and a single piece of electronic mail is called a message.
eMail, capitalizing only the letter M, was common among ARPANET users and the early developers of Unix, CMS, AppleLink, eWorld, AOL, GEnie, and Hotmail.
EMail is a traditional form that has been used in RFCs for the "Author's Address", and is expressly required "for historical reasons".
E-mail is sometimes used, capitalizing the initial letter E as in similar abbreviations like E-piano, E-guitar, A-bomb, H-bomb, and C-section.

There is also some variety in the plural form of the term. In US English email is used as a mass noun (like the term mail for items sent through the postal system), but in British English it is more commonly used as a count noun with the plural emails.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 02:53:31 PM »
Thank you, Sir.