Author Topic: I hope you answer or I hope you will answer  (Read 16201 times)

English Maiden

• View Profile
I hope you answer or I hope you will answer
« on: November 03, 2011, 07:50:40 PM »
Hi, Joe!

Is there any difference between these two sentences?
1. I hope you will change your mind.
2. I hope you change your mind.

Also, is it wrong to say "file an annulment"? Is the correct phrase "file for an annulment"? Or are both phrases acceptable?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I hope you answer or I hope you will answer
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 10:18:56 PM »
I would say that the difference in meaning between these two sentences is slight:

1. “I hope you will change your mind.”
2. “I hope you change your mind.”

We must keep in mind that both are elliptical constructions of the sentence “I hope that you will change your mind.” That sentence is, of course, a complex sentence consisting of the main clause “I hope” in the present tense and the subordinate relative clause “that you will change your mind” in the future tense.

In Sentence #1 above, only the relative pronoun “that” is ellipted or dropped, while in Sentence #2, both “that” and the auxiliary verb “will” are ellipted from the relative clause. (Click this link for my earlier Forum posting on "Deconstructing and understanding those puzzling elliptical sentences.") Both ways, the meaning of the original sentence isn’t significantly altered.

The slight perceivable difference between the two sentences is that in Sentence #1, the speaker hopes that the person being addressed will have a change of mind sometime in the indeterminate future, while in Sentence #2, the speaker hopes that the person being addressed will have a change of mind right away or not long after the hope is expressed.

As to your second question, the verb phrase “file an annulment” is grammatically erroneous; the form is “file for an annulment” is grammatically correct, but the idiomatic usage is “file for annulment,” with the article “an” routinely dropped, as in this sentence: “The irate wife filed for annulment of her marriage to her philandering husband.”
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:42:43 PM by Joe Carillo »

English Maiden

• View Profile
I hope you answer or I hope you will answer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 12:32:39 PM »
Thank you so much for your quick reply! Your explanation was really helpful. You have again cleared my mind of another English language-related confusion. You see, this forum helps English language learners like me in ways more than one. Visiting this forum always gives me boosted confidence in my use of English in speech and in writing. Please look forward to more puzzling questions from me. And as you always do, I hope you will take time (or take "the time"?) to answer them. Thanks again! :)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I hope you answer or I hope you will answer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »
The correct usage is "take time," of course. This idiom means to spare or devote some of one's time to doing something. In contrast, the idiom to "take the time" is to be slow or to take an unduly long time to do a particular task. There's a big world of difference between these two idioms.