Author Topic: as + participle  (Read 4864 times)

hairstyler

• Initiate
    • View Profile
as + participle
« on: October 16, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
Please describe the structure of "as + particple" as follows:

1) He described the picture as expressing the dream of mankind.
2) She quoted Lu Xun as saying that.
3) The results show their lessons as having been well prepared.

Would you like to help me convert the above-mentioned sentence to a long form for easy-to-understand ???

Thanks,
Hairstyler

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: as + participle
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 09:54:04 AM »
In the sentence “He described the picture as expressing the dream of mankind,” the phrase “as expressing the dream of mankind” is an adverbial complement to the sentence. It is an added expression by which the predication of that sentence is made complete.

Here’s a suggested construction combining all of those three sentences of yours in just one easy-to-understand sentence:

“She quoted Lu Xun as saying that the picture expressed the dream of mankind, showing that the painter had learned his lessons well.”

This construction assumes that Lu Xun isn’t the painter referred to and that the painter is male.

hairstyler

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 12:27:44 PM »
In the sentence “He described the picture as expressing the dream of mankind,” the phrase “as expressing the dream of mankind” is an adverbial complement to the sentence. It is an added expression by which the predication of that sentence is made complete.

Here’s a suggested construction combining all of those three sentences of yours in just one easy-to-understand sentence:

“She quoted Lu Xun as saying that the picture expressed the dream of mankind, showing that the painter had learned his lessons well.”

This construction assumes that Lu Xun isn’t the painter referred to and that the painter is male.

i don't still understand the structure of "as + participle".  Please convert this "He described the picture as expressing the dream of mankind" into a long form only for my reference.

Thanks

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 12:41:38 PM »
The sentence "He described the picture as expressing the dream of mankind” is semantically equivalent to ""He said that the picture expresses the dream of mankind” and "As he described it, the picture expresses the dream of mankind.” This is the sense that the <"as" + participle> form gives to that sentence.

I hope that this finally clarifies things for you.