Author Topic: A hilarious way to learn what “language register” is all about  (Read 15178 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Are you familiar with the concept of language register? If not, I’m delighted to invite you to check out “Perils of Gobbledygook in English and Tagalog,” a piece sent to me a few days ago by Rocky Avila, a longtime Forum member based in the United States. It’s a hilarious but highly instructive way to learn that to effectively communicate in any language, what matters is not so much the big words, ideas, and images in our mind but the plain and simple ones that are already inside the listener’s head. That, in the simplest and most practical terms, is what hitting the correct language register is all about.

Read “Perils of Gobbledygook in English and Tagalog” in the Forum now!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:10:44 AM by Joe Carillo »

krishna77

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Media Companies In San Francisco
    • Email
Re: A hilarious way to learn what “language register” is all about
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »
I like this post very much. I will definitely be back. Hope that I can read more insightful posts then. Will be sharing your knowledge with all of my associates!

Krissy

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 03:05:20 AM »
I agree!

mylene63

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:49:25 PM »
Language is obviously a vital tool. Not only is it a means of communicating thoughts and ideas, but it forges friendships, cultural ties, and economic relationships.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:01:05 PM by mylene63 »

jamesadam432

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »
language is tool by which we communicate with the other peoples .if there is no language then we can not be able to communicate with the other people and if no communication then no discussions no friendship no advancements no way to understand the thoughts of the other human beings then what can we do for ourselves and the other mankind .

Kelly Swift

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 04:57:44 PM »
I like this post.

virtualkeyboard

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Virtual Keyboard
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »
What you mean by say Language register?

lekami08

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »
I have never heard about language register. Can you explain more about this?

lekami08

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »
I have seen your awareness about this theme when you post it and it really gives an informational message to us readers. I am hoping that you will continue writing this kind of blog. Thanks for sharing this information.

Cricut cartridges on sale

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 08:00:46 PM »
I have never heard about language register. Can you explain more about this?

In linguistics, a language register is any of the varieties of a language used in particular social, occupational, or professional contexts. It’s a style of language determined by such factors as social occasion, purpose, and audience. In terms of degree of formality, a language register can be very formal (very rigid, bureaucratic language), formal (ceremonious, carefully precise language), neutral (objective, indifferent, uncaring language), informal (casual or familiar language), very informal (very casual and familiar language), and intimate (personal and private language).

The three major determinants of language register are (1) field – the subject matter of the discourse, (2) tenor – the participants and their relationships, and (3) mode – the channel of communication (such as spoken or written). Common non-linguistic determinants of language register are dress code, body language, and proximity of the speakers.

Certain kinds of language register that could befuddle laypeople are professional jargon like academese, legalese, corporatese, bureaucratese, and journalese. Jargon uses words, expressions, and figures of speech that are often understood only by those who belong to a particular profession or occupation, the better to communicate among themselves and the better to exclude people who don’t belong to their league.

For more about the basics of language register, click this link to Richard Nordquist’s About.com Grammar and Composition.

Kevin Gourmand

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Weight Loss Meal Plans
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 02:06:10 AM »
For all persons that don't speak English as a first language, the hardest part of learning the language is the small words.  I have worked with many, many people from other nations who are learning English as a second or third language, and it's always the little things that show they are not a native speaker.

Simple contractions are one thing.  For example, using cannot, do not, and will not instead of using can't, don't, or won't repeatedly is one thing that I notice a lot.  Also not being immersed in the culture, non-English speakers have a hard time with the colloquialisms.  An example of this is that, in the Southern US, instead of the word "you" being both singular and plural, it is only singular and "yall" is plural.

Collinsdennis57

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Chicago Booklet Printing | Print Booklets Fast | PrintPlace.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 10:31:17 AM »
hi there people.. this is Collins new here in site.. i do hope you can entertain me and answer my questions..

thank you so much!!

its nice to be part of here.. good day ahead.

blakecarl

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Catalog Printing Service
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 07:28:27 AM »
I wonder where can I bought a copy of the book. Is it available at National Bookstore or in any online store maybe?
We have the BILL OF RIGHTS. What we need is the BILL OF RESPONSIBILITIES.

cecelia1

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Love of Golf
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 05:18:16 AM »
The english language can be very difficult to master. Doses  anyone know what books if any would be very useful for developing good english skills?

cecelia1

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Love of Golf
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 05:24:11 AM »
Kevin I respect your comment, however just because a person would rather say, do not instead of dosen't should not indicated weather or not the person is up on his english or not.