Author Topic: Instead of more power, PNRC’s Dick Gordon needs donations, moral support  (Read 2985 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
E-mail from Rocky Avila, Forum member (December 26, 2011):

Dear Mr. Carillo,

Sometime in October 2010, I read your essay in the Forum expressing your misgivings about people wishing you “more power” in their e-mails (“My misgivings about people wishing me more power”). I understand your queasy feeling that those people may not really mean it.

My Webster's All-In-One Dictionary & Thesaurus defines “power” as force or energy used to do work. On the sexier side of it, it has also something to do with “impotence.”

The reason I’m writing to you now is that I have come across a salutation of a column in the Internet edition of The Manila Times dated Saturday, December 17, 2011, to wit:

Congratulations and more power, R.C.

The writer is referring to the recently concluded 29th bicentennial convention wherein the delegates heard former senator and now Philippine Red Cross (PRC) Chairman Richard J. Gordon’s speech that vigorously expressed his desire to initiate a potent force in the achievement of their mission.

My question is this: “Is ‘more power’ the right choice of word?”

Certainly, I will not clap my hands and shout “More practice!” after listening to Placido Domingo’s vocal rendition of The Lord’s Prayer in E-flat knowing that he’ll get embarrassed if he hears that. The audience might take it as an insult to one of the greatest tenors of all time.

Thank you, Mr. Carillo. I’m wishing you all the best and please accept my warmest personal regards. Merry Christmas!

Yours truly,

Rocky Avila

My reply to Rocky:

I would have much preferred “Congratulations and more success, R.C.” but it’s Christmas, Rocky, so I’d rather we not rock the semantic boat at this time. As it is, Dick Gordon as PNRC chairman already has his hands full attending to the relief and rehabilitation needs of the victims of Typhoon Sendong in Cagayan de Oro, Iligan, and Negros Oriental. Let’s just give the good man and the Red Cross both material and moral support in that backbreaking humanitarian mission.

To make online donations now for the victims of Typhoon Sendong, click this link to the Philippine National Red Cross donations webpage.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:57:08 PM by Joe Carillo »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Instead of more power, PNRC’s Dick Gordon needs donations, moral support
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:29:22 AM »
Rejoinder e-mailed by Mr. Rocky Avila, Forum member (December 26, 2011):

Dear Mr. Carillo,

You nailed it, sir! You are not only a man of wisdom but also a man of action. These two characters of few good men include the twofold ideal of the man of wisdom in the person of Odysseus and man of action typified by Achilles. You have them both and I salute you for that!

I will not only keep this e-mail just for myself, but will share it with my e-mail friends so that they will know that there is a Forum open for anyone who would like to expand his or her knowledge on the world's lingua franca. Additionally, I'm optimistic that their philanthropic sense will be stirred so that they will dig deeper into their pockets to help alleviate the lives of our lesser fortunate countrymen who are victims of natural calamities.

In closing, I will not say “more power” and “God bless” to you and PNRC Chairman Richard J. Gordon, but rather wish you both “Cheers!” May God bless both of you, your families, and members of your staff. Carry on and have a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year!

Respectfully yours,
Rocky Avila