Author Topic: Three very interesting questions by new Forum member, answered at long last!  (Read 6520 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Forum member Benedict registered for Forum membership last November 15, 2018 and sent these three very interesting grammar questions to my Personal Messages box. Alas, they lay there buried, unread, and unanswered for far too long! To avoid such regrettable delays in my response to questions, please read my formal advice to Forum members at the tail end of my answers to the questions.

Now I’ll take up Benedict’s grammar questions in reverse chronological order:

What “for all she knew” and “make a run for it” mean

Question by Forum member Benedict (January 15, 2019):

I’ve read the sentences below from X-Men comics and can’t figure out the meaning of the phrases “for all she knew” and “make a run for it.”

“And she’d been set up. And for all she knew Gambit was a part of the setup, too. She decided to make a run for it.”

Hope you can help me on this.

My reply to Benedict (January 27, 2019):

The phrases “for all she knew” and “make a run for it” are popular figurative expressions largely used in colloquial interactions, which of course are to be expected in the comics medium.

IMAGE CREDIT: UNCANNY_XMEN COMICS

When someone thinks or says “for all she knew,” that person really doesn’t know all the facts about a situation but strongly suspects or believes that her conclusion about is correct.

And when that person decides to “make a run for it,” it means that she decides to get out of, break away, or escape from the situation at once, certain that she’d been set up and that the character Gambit most likely was involved in setting her up.

The difference between the prepositions “of” and “for”

Question by Forum member Benedict (January 15, 2019):

May I ask what preposition should be used in the statement below:

“Attached here are the data tables of/for the KAP Study on HIV, for your review.”

Should it be “of the KAP Study” or “for the KAP Study”? And could you please explain why one of them is grammatically correct and the other is not?

There’s a rather close equivalence in the semantics and sense of “Attached here are the data tables of the KAP Study on HIV, for your review” and “Attached here are the data tables for the KAP Study on HIV, for your review.” For this reason, I think few knowledgeable English speakers of even strict grammarians would raise a howl if the two constructions are used interchangeably.

However, I think “for the KAP Study” is the scrupulously correct usage, where the preposition “for” is used to indicate the purpose of the KAP Study on HIV: “Attached here are the data tables for the KAP Study on HIV, for your review.”

The preposition “of” is used in the other sentence construction as a function word to indicate belonging or a possessive relationship: “Attached here are the data tables of the KAP Study on HIV, for your review.” The belonging or possessive relationship between the KAP study and the data tables is, I think, a tenuous or weak aspect in the context of that statement, but is nevertheless grammatically defensible if challenged.

The tense for reporting verbs in reported speech

Question by Forum member Benedict (November 23, 2019):

May I ask which of the statements below are correct?

A: “Sir Gino said he found it a little too high given the budget allocated to it.”
     or
     “Sir Gino said he had found it a little too high given the budget allocated to it."

B: “I attached the said document here for your reference.”
     or
     “I have attached the said document here for your reference.”

The statements in Set A above involve the choice of tense for reporting verbs in reported speech. When the reporting verb in reported speech is in the simple present tense, the operative verb in the reported statement remains unchanged; often, only the pronouns in the quoted statement are changed.

Below is a chart for the general rule for changes in the tense of the reported utterance for various tenses of the reporting verb:

When the reporting verb is in the past tense, the so-called normal sequence-of-tenses rule generally applies for the reported utterance itself: it takes one step back from the present into the past. Thus, the present becomes past, the past usually stays in the past, the present perfect becomes past perfect, and the future becomes future conditional. But keep in mind that this rule applies only when the action in the reported statement is a completed or consummated one. When the action in the reported statement is a conditional or a repeated or habitual one, the changes in tense get more complicated.

You’ll get a better appreciation of the peculiarities of the reporting of reported speech by checking out this June 2, 2018 Forum posting, “Choosing tense for reporting verbs in reported speech.”

In the case of the statements in Set B, the scrupulously correct usage is the present-perfect tense “I have attached the said document here for your reference.” In the present perfect, the action in the sentence (“attached”) has continued from some time in the immediate past up to the present or at the very moment of speaking or writing the sentence.

Check out this October 5, 2017 Forum posting, “Clarifying the usage of the present perfect tense,” to get a clear idea why this is so.

HOW TO AVOID DELAYED REPLIES TO YOUR GRAMMAR QUESTIONS:

To avoid very regrettable delays in getting responses to your grammar questions, replies, or comments, post them directly at all times in the appropriate Forum discussion board (You Asked Me This Question, Use and Misuse, Getting to Know English, Students’ Sounding Board, etc.). This way, I or any Forum member can immediately read and reply to your post in the spirit of a two-way sharing of knowledge and ideas with all Forum members. Always remember that your Forum membership gives you the privilege of access to and participation in any of these discussion boards.

Please keep in mind that my Personal Messages Box in the Forum is meant only for matters that a Forum member feels is private and shouldn’t be openly discussed in the Forum’s discussion boards. This being the case, I don’t routinely open my Personal Messages Box as a matter of course unless specifically requested to do so.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 03:40:52 PM by Joe Carillo »

benedict

• Initiate
    • View Profile

Hi Sir Joe,

Thank you for the reply.
I think I know more English now than I used to.
By the way, Sir , I didn't know I can post directly on the Forum discussion board.
My apologies. I'll try that next time.

Best regards,
Benedict

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm glad to hear from you, Benedict, and delighted to know that the Forum is adding to your body of knowledge about English and its usage. No need to apologize for what happened. Whenever you feel you need to, just log in and share your thoughts in the Form discussion board of your choice. Have a great week ahead!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 02:09:51 AM by Joe Carillo »