Author Topic: Apostrophes  (Read 8997 times)

Menie

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Apostrophes
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:40:09 AM »
I am again unsure about this since I came across this error in today's column by Conrado de Quiros, whose writing I admire greatly even though I do not always agree with his sentiments.  I would appreciate if you can confirm or correct my observation.

De Quiros wrote: 

"The DOJ-NBI point to the New People’s Army, the families and friends of the victims point to the military, the latter having the word of the survivors’ themselves to go by. Co and company, they say, did not die in an encounter, they were rubbed out."

I think the use of the apostrophe in the word "survivors'" is wrong.  The apostrophe denotes possession;  however, the preposition "of" already provides this.  If the phrase had been "... the survivors' word" then the apostrophe is required.  However, for the phrase "the word of the survivors'", the apostrophe is redundant.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Apostrophes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:22:20 PM »
About that passage you quoted in your posting:

“The DOJ-NBI point to the New People’s Army, the families and friends of the victims point to the military, the latter having the word of the survivors’ themselves to go by. Co and company, they say, did not die in an encounter, they were rubbed out.” (There’s the Rub: “Crimes,” Philippine Daily Inquirer, January 24, 2011)

Yes, you’re absolutely right; in the sentence above, Mr. Conrado de Quiros’s use of the apostrophe in the noun “survivors” is wrong. That apostrophe puts “survivors’” in the plural possessive form, which is uncalled for in that sentence construction. The word doesn’t need the apostrophe for the possessive there because in the noun phrase “the word of the survivors themselves,” “survivors” is functioning as the object of the preposition “of.” As you correctly observed, the possessive aspect is already provided by the preposition “of.”

I must also point out that there are two more grammar errors in that passage you quoted.

In the clause “the DOJ-NBI point to the New People’s Army,” there’s a subject-verb disagreement error because by virtue of Mr. Quiros’s decision to combine the acronyms “DOJ” and “NBI” by hyphenating them, he made them a compound term in the singular form. The operative verb in that clause should therefore be in the singular form “points,” not in the plural-form “point,” so that clause should correctly read as follows: “The DOJ-NBI points to the New People’s Army…” 

The construction of this last sentence of that passage is also grammatically faulty: “Co and company, they say, did not die in an encounter, they were rubbed out.” This is what’s called a fused or run-on sentence. The comma before the clause “they were rubbed out” is inadequate for punctuating the sentence, so the link between that clause and the rest of the sentence is grammatically tenuous. This grammar error is also known as a comma splice, and in this case it makes that last clause dangle or hang dysfunctionally at the tail end of the sentence. A simple fix is, of course, to replace that comma with a semicolon: “Co and company, they say, did not die in an encounter; they were rubbed out.” This time the entire sentence is structurally correct and it reads and sounds right as well.

Even if—like you—I often find his opinions too tendentious and inflammatory for comfort, I know Mr. Quiros to be a highly competent and effective writer. I therefore suspect that those three grammatical errors in that passage from his column in the Philippine Daily Inquirer are simply typographical or proofreading oversights. The fine English stylist that he is, I really find it hard to imagine how Mr. Quiros can make those errors in a conscious, deliberate way.

Menie

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:12:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I found another misuse of the apostrophe in one of the Inquirer's frontpage news stories today.  In the following sentence from the article "Killer’s gun traced to ex-governor’s aide",

Amurao said Lesias had told investigators that he had passed the gun to another Reyes’ aide, Arturo “Noynoy” Regalado.,

there should be no apostrophe after the word Reyes. 

The proofreader or writer probably thought that the word Reyes is possessive and so he added an apostrophe.  I think an apostrophe would be required if the phrase had been "to another of Reyes' aides".  However, in the sentence quoted above an apostrophe should not be used and the correct phrase is "to another Reyes aide".  I know this to be a correct analysis but I could not figure out the explanation.  Can you help?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:40:33 AM »
You’re right about this sentence in that front-page story of the Philippine Daily Inquirer today (“Killer’s gun traced to ex-governor’s aide,” January 26, 2011):

“Amurao said Lesias had told investigators that he had passed the gun to another Reyes’ aide, Arturo ‘Noynoy’ Regalado.”

There shouldn’t be an apostrophe at all after the noun “Reyes” in the phrase “to another Reyes’ aide.” That apostrophe would be called for only if the noun “Reyes” is in the possessive form, but it isn’t; “Reyes” in that construction is actually functioning as an adjectival noun modifying “aide,” in much that same way that “Manila” functions as an adjectival modifier in the phrase “enamored by another Manila socialite.” (We don’t say “enamored by another Manila’s socialite,” do we?)

The only time that an apostrophe would be needed in this instance is when the phrase is in the form “to another of Reyes’s aides.” This time, Reyes with apostrophe-s denotes possession of two or more “aides” and not just one, so it’s correctly rendered in the possessive form.

Take note, too, that as a matter of style, I prefer using the possessive for “Reyes” in the form “Reyes’s aides” rather than “Reyes’ aides,” which is how that Inquirer story renders the possessive. I find that putting the extra “s” after the apostrophe reduces the possibility of confusion in my usage of the possessive.

At any rate, the Inquirer editorial staff and proofreaders—and Forum members and guests as well—might find it useful and instructive to read an earlier posting of mine in the Forum about adjective usage, “Some guideposts for positioning adjectives in English sentences.” Every little bit of grammar review helps eliminate errors of the kind you’ve pointed out.