Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
PLAYLIST UPDATE FOR DECEMBER 9 - 15, 2023 OF JOSE CARILLO ENGLISH FORUM’S FACEBOOK GATEWAY

Simply click the web links to the 16 featured English grammar refreshers and general interest stories this week along with selected postings published in the Forum in previous years:

1. Strategies for Writing and Speaking Better English: “Avoid overrepetitive use of the same key words or their equivalent stock phrases”

2. Essay by Jose A. Carillo: “The genesis of corporatese”

IMAGE CREDIT: LINKEDIN.COM

3. You Asked Me This Question: “Inverted sentences have a subject-verb agreement peculiarity”

4. Readings in Language Retrospective: “The age-old debate over ‘It’s not you, it’s (me, I)’ flares up again”

5. Essay by Jose A. Carillo: “Deconstructing and understanding those puzzling elliptical sentences”

6. You Asked Me This Question: “Should we use ‘motherland’ or ‘fatherland’ in Jose Rizal’s poem?”

7. Essays by Jose Carillo Retrospective: “How onerous legalese imperils public welfare”

8. An Intriguing Grammar Question: “An English-language conundrum”

9. Language Humor At Its Finest: “40 superb paraprosdokians to make sense of our times”

10. You Asked Me This Question: “Is it correct to use the verb 'invite' as a noun?”

11. Your Thoughts Exactly: “10 Enduring Remembrances of Christmases Past - Redux 15”

12. A Forum Lounge Retrospective: “Stories best savored on Christmas Day itself”

13. A job-hunting advice you might have missed: “Is ‘Hi!’ proper to begin a job application letter?”

14. Time Out From English Grammar: “Geniuses are clear proof that people are not created equal”

15. My Media English Watch Retrospective: “Anatomy of media stories that Filipina women have the world’s smallest breasts"

16. Language Humor For This Joyous Season: “Gobbledygooked Christmas song titles quiz”

Essays by Joe Carillo / Strategies for writing and speaking better English
« Last post by Joe Carillo on December 12, 2023, 09:12:32 PM »
Sometime in 2013 A Tanzania-based member of Jose Carillo's English Forum thanked me for writing on the need to avoid officious stock phrases when writing or speaking. Mwita Chacha said: "I agree that the best way to effectively get our ideas across is by making our sentences as precise as possible. But as a beginning writer, I sometimes feel reluctant to use one word more than two times in the same writing. That's why I'm sometimes tempted to alternate, say, ''about'' with such unpleasant bureaucratic phrases like ''with regard to,'' ''with reference to,'' ''as regards.'' Admittedly, they sound standoffish and tend to get in the way of clear communication, but I think they help in many ways eradicate repetition in the prose. Is there any better tactic of getting rid of repetition?"

In reply, I wrote Mwita Chacha that the repeated use of a particular word in writing is not bad per se; it’s the dysfunctional overuse of that word that has to be studiously avoided. And I wouldn’t use the word “tactic” to describe such studious avoidance, for a tactic seems too fleeting and too short-term an approach for dealing with unpleasant over-repetition. Instead, I would go for the word “strategy” to describe the more methodical and wide-ranging way for achieving that objective.

To come up with such a viable strategy in English, we need to distinguish between its two general types of words and to understand the matter of language register and tonality.

The two general types of words in English, you will recall, are the content words and the function words. The content words are the carriers of meaning of the language, and they consist of the nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and interjections. The function words are the logical operators of the language, and they consist of the prepositions, conjunctions (the coordinating conjunctions and subordinating conjunctions), and conjunctive adverbs. In a class of their own are the articles “a,” “an,” and “the,” which many grammarians consider as neither content words nor function words (we won’t take up the articles here to keep this discussion more manageable).

Among the content words, nouns are the most amenable to substitution with other words as a strategy for avoiding tedious repetition. For this purpose, of course, we routinely use pronouns for subsequent mentions of subjects identified by name—“he” or “she” for singular proper names and “they” for one or more of them, and “it” for singular things and concepts and also “they” for one or more of them. In feature writing and in the more creative forms of expression, we can use synonyms or similar words for subsequent mentions of particular nouns. Those synonyms can focus on particular or specific attributes of the subject or key word, thus giving the reader or listener more information about them without going into digressions that might just unnecessarily impede the flow of the exposition.

For example, the subject or key word “John Updike” might be later referred to in an exposition generically as “the writer” or more specifically as “a writer of sex-suffused fiction,” “a notable literary realist,” “the prolific American novelist and short-story writer,” “the two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist,” and “America’s last true man of letters.” Indeed, by using a synonym or brief descriptive detail, each subsequent mention of the subject becomes an opportunity for throwing new light on it for the reader’s or listener’s benefit.

As parts of speech in English, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs each have a unique and distinctive meaning or sense. In the case of verbs, there’s a specific verb for every kind of action; for instance, while there are close similarities between “walk,” “stroll,” “saunter,” “amble,” and “jog,” they are not by any means perfectly synonymous. Thus, once you have used the verb “walk” the first time around for the action you are describing, it won’t be appropriate or advisable—just for the sake of avoiding repetition—to refer to that action as “stroll” the second time around, “saunter” the third time around, “amble” the fourth time around, and so on and so forth. For accuracy and authenticity’s sake, you’ve got to stick to “walk” in all subsequent mentions of that action you described as “walk” at the start.

This strategy should also be applicable to adjectives and adverbs. For instance, you’d be out of line describing a woman as “beautiful” the first time around, then describing her as “pretty,” “comely,” or “fair” in subsequent mentions; you’ve got to stick to “beautiful” or else not use that adjective again in the exposition. The same strategy would also apply to adverbs; once you have described the manner an action is done as “cruelly,” you can’t refer to that same manner as “fiercely” in a subsequent mention. In fact, it would be good language policy to avoid repeat usage of adverbs (particularly those than end in “-ly”) or use their synonyms later in an exposition.

Now let’s take up what you describe as your reluctance to use one word more than two times in the same writing and, in particular, your being tempted to sometimes alternate the preposition “about” with such unpleasant bureaucratic phrases as “with regard to,” “with reference to,” and “as regards.” Of course it’s a good general approach to avoid using the same word or phrase more than two times in the same exposition, but strategically, I think you’d be ill-advised to alternate “about” with such phrases as “with regard to,” “with reference to,” “as regards” in subsequent parts of the same exposition. As you yourself have pointed out, although these phrases can eradicate repetition in your prose, they will definitely make your prose sound standoffish and thus just get in the way of clear communication. It will be like jumping from the frying pan to the fire, so to speak.

Along with the preposition “about,” its synonymous phrases “with regard to,” “with reference to,” and “as regards” belong to the class of words known as the function words. As I mentioned at the outset, function words are the logical operators of the language, and as such they have very specific purposes and roles to play in the creation of meaning in language. In the particular case of prepositions, there’s a unique word for combining a word or phrase with another noun phrase to express a particular modification or predication; as a rule, for instance, “on,” “in,” “at,” “to,” “toward,” and “after” can’t be substituted with or interchanged with one another. Most preposition usage is essentially conventional rather than logical, but it’s a fact that specific prepositions have become so well-established for evoking particular relationships in space, time, and logic that it would be foolhardy to misuse them, to trifle with them, or to tinker with them. The good writer knows that a healthy respect for the conventional usage of prepositions greatly paves the way for good communication.

Now, the preposition “about” belongs to what I would call the normal, day-to-day language register of English. A language register is, of course, simply a variety of a language that’s used in a particular social, occupational, or professional context. In general, in terms of degree of formality, we can classify the language of register of English in six categories: very formal, which is characterized by very rigid, bureaucratic language; formal, characterized by ceremonious, carefully precise language; neutral, characterized by objective, indifferent, uncaring language; informal, characterized by casual or familiar language; very informal, characterized by very casual and familiar language; and intimate, characterized by personal and private language. (Note here that I didn’t hesitate to used the verb “characterized” five times, for to have alternately used the verb phrase “distinguished by” would have been a needless distraction.)

It so happens though that over the centuries, the legal profession developed a variety of English that’s pejoratively called legalese, an officious, legal-sounding language that can be roughly classified between very formal and formal language. This is the language used by lawyers in making contracts, affidavits, depositions, and pleadings before a court of law. A common feature of legalese is the substitution of the day-to-day, vanilla-type preposition “about” with the longish and ponderous phrases “with regard to,” “with reference to,” and “as regards” along with the substitution of such day-to-day, vanilla-type conjunctions “because,” “so,” and “later” with their longish equivalents “whereas,” “therefore,” and “hereinafter,” respectively. When legalese stays within the confines of the legal profession or community, however, all’s well with English as we know it.

The unfortunate fact, however, is that legalese has continually leached into both written and spoken business English over the years, such that a typical memo or business report these days sounds very much like a legal brief meant for lawyers and court magistrates. When peppered with such legalese as “attached herewith,” “aforesaid,” “heretofore,” and “for your perusal,” the English of such memos and business reports becomes very rigid and bureaucratic and extremely formal or harsh in tone. This is the language register and tonality that your English would acquire if, for the purpose of avoiding repetition of the preposition “about,” you fall into the habit of routinely alternating it with such legalese as “with regard to,” “with reference to,” and “as regards.” What’s even worse, your use of these forms of legalese will force you to make unwieldy, complicated sentence constructions to match their ponderousness and severity.   

My advice to you therefore is to fiercely resist the temptation to alternate common prepositions and the function words in general with their legalistic counterparts. You’ll be much better off as a writer and as a communicator by using the plain-and-simple English prepositions and conjunctions instead—even repeatedly. You can be sure that your readers or listeners will like it much better that way.
Getting to Know English / The genesis of corporatese
« Last post by Joe Carillo on December 11, 2023, 06:20:45 PM »
The habit of writing or speaking English corporatese begins harmlessly enough. It starts with snappy little jargon like “concretize,” “prioritize,” “optimize,” “energize,” “synergize,” and “operationalize.” Then it becomes a mild neurosis of talking and writing in euphemisms and fancy diminutives on one hand, such as describing a particularly big company loss as a “tactical setback” or a “strategic retreat,” and, on the other hand, using equally fancy superlatives such as ‘back-to-basics strategy,” “best-in-class initiatives,” “interactive multidimensional feedback loop,” and the classic ENRON bluster that says “laser-sharp focus on earnings per share.” Then the neurosis quickly grows into an overwhelming compulsion, an inner voice that incessantly whispers to one’s ear that to stay on the clear path to success in the corporate world, one should never catch himself being too honest or too forthright with his English.

After all, the corporatese spinners would say, it’s only words, English words. Like little sticks and stones they are only words and they couldn’t hurt you. But what the corporate types conveniently forget or put under the rug is that there’s such a thing as executive ethics and responsible corporate governance. You are supposed to be honest and truthful to your colleagues and subordinates. You are supposed to be faithful and true to all the stakeholders of the company who put you on the executive suite: the stockholders, the investors, the customers, the employees and their families, the financial community, the government, and the scores of contractuals who wipe the dust off company desks or turn on the lights in the silent morning and take out the trash and finally turn off the lights in the dead of night.

In the few years that I was a passive observer in the corporate boardroom, I would sometimes see a CEO forget his corporatese in a fit of rage or pique. He would revert to speaking like a human when a new product had failed to get market share or when a much-ballyhooed sales or human resources program had fouled up. “What do I care about those greedy, good-for-nothing yokels?” the CEO would rant. “After all, I do all the work here. Them, they do not move their butts and they own only 30% of the stock cumulatively. My family and friends own the remaining 70%, so I can do as I wish for all I care. After us, the deluge.” But after a minute or two of venting spleen, he would be back to form and spouting corporatese again, obviously hard put and too embarrassed to explain a particularly bad year for his company in plainer terms than with this corporatese:

“The Corporation reported a loss from continuing operations before income taxes of Php46.2 billion and an income tax provision of Php132 million for the year ended December 31, 1992, compared with income from continuing operations before income taxes of Php33.6 billion and an income tax provision of Php242 million for the year ended December 31, 1991. The effective rate in 1992 was different from the statutory rate primarily because of nondeductible goodwill amortization expense associated with business acquisitions and because of nondeductible goodwill applicable to assets sold. The effective tax rate in 1992 was different from the statutory rate due to the utilization of state tax credits and foreign sales corporation tax benefits that more than offset nondeductible goodwill amortization expense associated with business combinations.”

IMAGE CREDIT: ENGLISHEVOLUTIONLEARNING.COM

Strange, strange, the English and the logic that I see in vastly convoluted statements like these. Their otherworldly quality never fails to overwhelm me. There simply is no way for anyone with less than superhuman intelligence to get a handle of what they are saying in all this gobbledygook. In fact, statements like these give me the nagging suspicion that they are actually inverse fairy tales or, as one chief accountant had blurted out to me in a rare moment of candor, “little masterpieces of corporate fiction.” You can almost be sure that the use of corporatese in these reports is part of a massive and deliberate effort not to make things clear or understood by laymen like us. They want to keep you and me in the dark. Indeed, their glossing over of spectacular failures and the trumpeting of inconsequential or imaginary triumphs are not communication at all but plain and possibly felonious obfuscation.

This obfuscation is more pronounced in the so-called publicly owned companies, which are actually misnomers because only in very rare cases does the public own more than 30% or 40% of them. The bulk and weight of ownership effectively remains in the private hands of the majority owners, who can continue to call the shots in the company no matter how strident some minority stockholders become in their protestations against corporate malpractice. But that is a long, long story and certainly beyond the pale of this discussion of plain and simple English, so I will now stop.

I will simply add that one way out of this Catch-22 situation is to foster a new generation of enlightened and activist minority stockholders. We must, as a matter of right, demand full corporate transparency. Chairs, CEOs, and boards of directors of public corporations must be compelled by law to be open, candid, and honest in their corporate reporting. By fiat they must be forbidden to speak in corporatese ever again in public, just plain and simple English, perhaps even the vernacular. Their English must be bright and luminous as on that clear day, when the king thought he was in regal dress but was actually parading himself about town with not a stitch on.

Read this essay and listen to its voice recording in The Manila Times:
The genesis of corporatese
---------------------

The essay above, "The Genesis of Corporatese,” first appeared in Jose A. Carillo’s column in The Manila Times and subsequently in Part I - “Our Uses and Misuses of English” of his book English Plain and Simple: No-Nonsense Ways to Learn Today's Global Language (First Edition ©2004, Third Updated Edition ©2023; 500 pages). The book is available at National Book Store and Facebook branches in key Philippine cities. For volume orders and overseas deliveries, send e-mail inquiring about pricing and bulk discounts to Manila Times Publishing Corp., circulation@manilatimes.net, or call Tel. +63285245664 to 67 locals 117 and 222.

(Next: Our need for thinking national leaders with the gift of language)     December 21, 2023

Visit Jose Carillo’s English Forum, http://josecarilloforum.com. You can follow me on Facebook and X (Twitter) and e-mail me at j8carillo@yahoo.com.
Getting to Know English / The Genesis of Corporatese
« Last post by Joe Carillo on December 07, 2023, 01:00:14 PM »
The Genesis of Corporatese
By Jose A. Carillo

THE habit of writing or speaking English corporatese begins harmlessly enough. It starts with snappy little jargon like “concretize,” “prioritize,” “optimize,” “energize,” “synergize,” and “operationalize.” Then it becomes a mild neurosis of talking and writing in euphemisms and fancy diminutives on one hand, such as describing a particularly big company loss as a “tactical setback” or a “strategic retreat,” and, on the other hand, using equally fancy superlatives such as ‘back-to-basics strategy,” “best-in-class initiatives,” “interactive multidimensional feedback loop,” and the classic ENRON bluster that says “laser-sharp focus on earnings per share.” Then the neurosis quickly grows into an overwhelming compulsion, an inner voice that incessantly whispers to one’s ear that to stay on the clear path to success in the corporate world, one should never catch himself being too honest or too forthright with his English.

After all, the corporatese spinners would say, it’s only words, English words. Like little sticks and stones they are only words and they couldn’t hurt you. But what the corporate types conveniently forget or put under the rug is that there’s such a thing as executive ethics and responsible corporate governance. You are supposed to be honest and truthful to your colleagues and subordinates. You are supposed to be faithful and true to all the stakeholders of the company who put you on the executive suite: the stockholders, the investors, the customers, the employees and their families, the financial community, the government, and the scores of contractuals who wipe the dust off company desks or turn on the lights in the silent morning and take out the trash and finally turn off the lights in the dead of night.

In the few years that I was a passive observer in the corporate boardroom, I would sometimes see a CEO forget his corporatese in a fit of rage or pique. He would revert to speaking like a human when a new product had failed to get market share or when a much-ballyhooed sales or human resources program had fouled up. “What do I care about those greedy, good-for-nothing yokels?” the CEO would rant. “After all, I do all the work here. Them, they do not move their butts and they own only 30% of the stock cumulatively. My family and friends own the remaining 70%, so I can do as I wish for all I care. After us, the deluge.” But after a minute or two of venting spleen, he would be back to form and spouting corporatese again, obviously hard put and too embarrassed to explain a particularly bad year for his company in plainer terms than this:

“The Corporation reported a loss from continuing operations before income taxes of Php46.2 billion and an income tax provision of Php132 million for the year ended December 31, 1992, compared with income from continuing operations before income taxes of Php33.6 billion and an income tax provision of Php242 million for the year ended December 31, 1991. The effective rate in 1992 was different from the statutory rate primarily because of nondeductible goodwill amortization expense associated with business acquisitions and because of nondeductible goodwill applicable to assets sold. The effective tax rate in 1992 was different from the statutory rate due to the utilization of state tax credits and foreign sales corporation tax benefits that more than offset nondeductible goodwill amortization expense associated with business combinations.”

IMAGE CREDIT: ENGLISHEVOLUTIONLEARNING.COM

Strange, strange, the English and the logic that I see in vastly convoluted statements like these. Their otherworldly quality never fails to overwhelm me. There simply is no way for anyone with less than superhuman intelligence to get a handle of what they are saying in all this gobbledygook. In fact, statements like these give me the nagging suspicion that they are actually inverse fairy tales or, as one chief accountant had blurted out to me in a rare moment of candor, “little masterpieces of corporate fiction.” You can almost be sure that the use of corporatese in these reports is part of a massive and deliberate effort not to make things clear or understood by laymen like us. They want to keep you and me in the dark. Indeed, their glossing over of spectacular failures and the trumpeting of inconsequential or imaginary triumphs are not communication at all but plain and possibly felonious obfuscation.

This obfuscation is more pronounced in the so-called publicly owned companies, which are actually misnomers because only in very rare cases does the public own more than 30% or 40% of them. The bulk and weight of ownership effectively remains in the private hands of the majority owners, who can continue to call the shots in the company no matter how strident some minority stockholders become in their protestations against corporate malpractice. But that is a long, long story and certainly beyond the pale of this discussion of plain and simple English, so I will now stop.

I will simply add that one way out of this Catch-22 situation is to foster a new generation of enlightened and activist minority stockholders. We must, as a matter of right, demand full corporate transparency. Chairs, CEOs, and boards of directors of public corporations must be compelled by law to be open, candid, and honest in their corporate reporting. By fiat they must be forbidden to speak in corporatese ever again in public, just plain and simple English, perhaps even the vernacular. Their English must be bright and luminous as on that clear day, when the king thought he was in regal dress but was actually parading himself about town with not a stitch on.
-----------

The essay above, "The Genesis of Corporatese" appears in Part I - "Our Uses and Misuses of English" of Jose Carillo's book English Plain and Simple: No-Nonsense Ways to Learn Today's Global Language (First Edition ©2004, Third Updated Edition ©2023; 500 pages). The book is available at National Book Store and Facebook branches in key Philippine cities. For volume orders and overseas deliveries, send e-mail inquiring about pricing and bulk discounts to Manila Times Publishing Corp. at circulation@manilatimes.net, or call Tel. +63285245664 to 67 locals 117 and 222.
PLAYLIST UPDATE FOR DECEMBER 2 - 8, 2023 OF JOSE CARILLO ENGLISH FORUM’S FACEBOOK GATEWAY

Simply click the web links to the 15 featured English grammar refreshers and general interest stories this week along with selected postings published in the Forum in previous years:

1. Getting to Know English Better: “Dealing decisively with the ‘who’ versus ‘whom’ conundrum”

2. Essay by Jose Carillo: “The genesis of corporatese”

3. You Asked Me This Question: “How litotes and the double negative differ”

4. English Use and Misuse: “A recurrent misuse of ‘between’ when setting a range”

5. English Use and Misuse: “Techniques for gender-free or gender-neutral writing” by Gerry Galacio, Forum Contributor

6. Getting to Know English: “How the two types of English determiners work"

7. Readings in Language Retrospective: “Charming take on writers as not-so-great conversationalists"

8. My Media English Watch Retrospective: “How ‘right of reply’ differs from ‘right to reply’”

9. Language Humor At Its Finest: “30 famous thoughts by astute minds”

10. Education and Teaching Opinion: “A lot of hot air” by Antonio Calipjo Go, Forum Contributor

11. Your Thoughts Exactly: “Warmth of chilly December" by Maximo Tumbali, Forum Member and Contributor

12. Time Out From English Grammar: “Measuring up to the human body’s perfection in architectural terms”

13. Readings in Language Retrospective:: “Bracing nuggets of wisdom about the writing process”

14. Message from the Forum Lounge: “Once again, how to say 'Merry Christmas!' in 75 of the world’s languages”

15. A Forum Lounge Retrospective: “A kid’s view of the Christmas Story” (Video on YouTube)

At about this time in 2014, a Forum member called my attention to this sentence in a newspaper feature article: “I remember a memorable experience in the 1970s with my paternal grandmother, a feisty devout Buddhist living in Davao who I frequently visited.”

He then posed these two questions: “Is the use of the subjective ‘who’ in the sentence above correct or acceptable? Or should the objective ‘whom’ be used instead?”

To start with, I told the Forum member that prescriptive grammarians condemn the use of the subjective “who” in that sentence construction and would demand adamantly that it be replaced with the objective “whom.” Personally, though, I find this demand ill-advised because it makes the sentence sound too formal, too stilted, and too stuffy: “I remember a memorable experience in the 1970s with my paternal grandmother, a feisty devout Buddhist living in Davao whom I frequently visited.”

So what do we do to avoid this “who”/“whom” impasse? We can attempt a mild rewrite that uses neither “who” nor “whom” that knocks off the phrase “living in Davao” but retains the sense and tonality intended of the original:: “I remember a memorable experience in the 1970s with my paternal grandmother, a feisty devout Buddhist I frequently visited in Davao.” The aspect of the subject’s “living in Davao” is lost in that reconstruction, of course, but I think it’s a small price to pay for skirting the “who” vs. “whom” conundrum while nicely streamlining the sentence.

But then why should we go to such lengths when presented with the choice between “who” and “whom”? It’s because aside from being highly debatable, the use of either “who” or “whom” is often too problematic from both the style and language register standpoints.

The grammatically unassailable “whom,” which is the true objective-case form of “who,” just doesn’t sound right to the modern ear; in many cases, in fact, “whom” imbues an unwanted pedantic, standoffish academic tone to what should be a simple conversational statement. On the other hand, using “who” instead often gives us with the uncomfortable feeling that something’s not right with the sentence.

On the very day that I was writing my reply to the “who”/“whom” question, a Harvard Magazine mailer providentially landed on my mailbox. It had this very timely advertorial question: “Whom Will You Honor This Mother’s Day?” That interrogative construction is actually one of the few iffy “whom” usages that I can tolerate without getting overpowered by the itch to replace it with “who,” but frankly, I’d be more comfortable and at peace with that message if it had used “who” instead: “Who Will You Honor This Mother’s Day?”

Other than total reconstruction, there are actually two ways of avoiding “whom” in an icky sentences like this: “The salesman whom we hired for the new product is doing a terrific job.” One is to drop the relative pronoun altogether as in this elliptical construction: “The salesman we hired for the new product is doing a terrific job.” The other is to use the relative pronoun “that” instead: “The salesman that we hired for the new product is doing a terrific job.”

Personally, I wouldn’t hesitate to use “that” in such cases. After all, early English actually used words related to “that” to mark relative clauses, and used “who” and “whom” only as question words and as indefinite pronouns in such constructions as “I wonder who were at the hunt.” Indeed, it was only because of the strong influence of Latin on written English in the 1800s that led to the “highbrow” use of “who” and “whom” as relative pronouns.

These days, however, many native English speakers are rediscovering the grammatical virtue of “that” as an all-purpose relative pronoun. I do think that even nonnative English speakers these days can follow suit with very little danger of being marked as uneducated yokels.   

Read this essay and listen to its voice recording in The Manila Times:
Dealing decisively with the “who” versus “whom” conundrum

(Next: The genesis of corporatese)         December 14, 2023

Visit Jose Carillo’s English Forum, http://josecarilloforum.com. You can follow me on Facebook and X (formerly Twitter) and e-mail me at j8carillo@yahoo.com.
Education and Teaching / Opinion: A Lot of Hot Air
« Last post by Joe Carillo on December 02, 2023, 10:57:48 AM »
A Lot of Hot Air
By Antonio Calipjo Go

The Department of Education’s pilot implementation of its “revised and recalibrated” Matatag Curriculum started last September 25 in 35 public schools from seven regions of the country. The Alliance of Concerned Teachers has appealed to the DepEd to stop implementing what in its estimation is “a premature and experimental program that would only treat the students of the arbitrarily selected public schools as nothing more than guinea pigs, as the process of revision of the former curriculum did not undergo an open, democratic, and genuine consultation with education stakeholders.”

In the National Capital Region, only five public schools in Malabon were selected. Is this not discriminatory, given that the students of these schools will have no choice but to serve as laboratory rats to test whether the new curriculum will work or not? Why were public schools in the more sophisticated cities of Manila, Makati, and Quezon not included in the pilot test? As a parent, how would you feel if it was your child who will be used in an experimental and exploratory excursion into something that has never been tried and tested?

Jocelyn Andaya, director of the Bureau of Curriculum Development, even had the temerity to boast that “The introduction of the new curriculum is a significant milestone in transforming the Philippine basic education system. We decongested and reduced the number of learning competencies from 11,738 to only 3,664, for a reduction of 70%.” This means that the Matatag Curriculum will be teaching only 30% of what students are supposed to be learning!

During the COVID-19 pandemic, the DepEd implemented the curriculum that it called “The Most Essential Learning Competencies” in response to the challenges and restrictions of conducting online classes in the public schools. The number of learning competencies in the MELC was reduced from 14,171 to 5,689.

In-person classes in public schools started in November 2022. What then is the logic behind the decision to now reduce the learning competencies from 11,738 to just 3,664? When you take away 70% of what students are supposed to take up, what is left for public school teachers to teach? What will be left for public school students to learn? Paano naging “matatag” ang isang bagay na ampaw at walang laman? Ang hungkag ay hindi matatag! (What’s empty and weak is not stable and strong!)

How can the DepEd now say that its reckless and irresponsible act of spaying, neutering, and castrating the curriculum is an onward, forward, and progressive development? The new curriculum practically ensures that more public school students need not learn as much as before or as much as they ought to in order to pass on to the next higher grade level. This will only exacerbate the dead-serious problem of mass promotion in the public schools and we will only be promoting and graduating more and more least-deserving students as the years go by, in effect producing progressively weaker and weaker breeds of Filipinos who, having been miseducated and maleducated, are therefore subnormal, substandard, and subpar.

“Intensified Values and Peace Education” is highly touted by the DepEd as being the focus of its new Matatag Curriculum and yet, pronouncements coming from Education Secretary Sara Duterte belie these otherwise noble intentions. She herself admitted that her Department, using the Php150 million confidential funds allotted to her as Education Secretary, had been monitoring its own personnel, students, teachers and educators in connection with the purported recruitment activities of the New People’s Army in public elementary and secondary schools.

She justifies her actions by saying that “Whoever opposes my confidential funds is opposed to peace. Whoever is opposed to peace is an enemy of the people.” She must be forgetting that people still remember how, when she was still the Mayor of Davao City in 2011, she punched and pummeled a court sheriff who was only implementing a court order to demolish houses in a disputed property.

During an interview with his “spiritual” adviser Apollo Quiboloy on the SMNI television network, Secretary Sara Duterte’s father, former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, threatened the life of a sitting lawmaker of Congress, ACT Teachers Representative France Castro, by saying: “The first target of Inday Sara’s intelligence fund would be you, France (Castro). I want to kill all you communists!” Last October 10, he publicly admitted that he spent his own intelligence funds to carry out extrajudicial killings in Davao City when he was still its Mayor.

You will not find a more unpeaceful, quarrelsome, hostile, and antagonistic pair of public officials like this father-and-daughter team anywhere else in the world. I shudder to think about what values Sara Duterte’s Matatag Curriculum will be promoting and propagating to educate our children! In the end, who will answer for the long-term damage and harm this hasty and haphazard policy of the DepEd will do to our children and our nation?

The DepEd should instead focus on addressing the Learning Crisis that currently grips the entire country by (1) stopping the practice of mass promotion in public schools; (2) making sure that public elementary school students are able to read and understand simple English words and sentences before they graduate in Grade 6; and (3) serving as role models to the children of this nation by living lives that show, reflect, and highlight the values of goodness, kindness, benevolence, and compassion.

This commentary was provided by Mr. Antonio Calipjo Go to the Forum, to a Philippine daily newspaper, and to several other recipients in reaction to the Department of Education’s pilot implementation starting last September 25 of its revised and recalibrated Matatag Curriculum  Mr. Go, a retired academic supervisor of the Marian School of Quezon City, is an advocate of good English usage who has been waging a crusade against badly written English-language textbooks in the Philippines for many years now. Several of his no-nonsense critiques and personal essays have appeared in the Forum over the years.
Use and Misuse / Techniques for gender-free or gender-neutral writing
« Last post by Gerry T. Galacio on December 01, 2023, 06:43:24 AM »
A. Introduction: traditional writing, gender-neutral or gender-inclusive language, gender-free language, singular they

Traditional writing uses masculine pronouns like "he" or "his" to refer to both men and women.

"Gender-neutral" language, on the other hand, uses "he or she," "his or her," "he/she," "his/her," "she or he," "her or his," "she/he," "her/his," or the "singular they." Another term for gender-neutral language is "gender-inclusive language."

Most Filipinos are not aware that "they" or "their" can be singular. Bryan A. Garner, author of "Garner’s Modern American Usage" says that "singular they" has existed in the English language as early as the Book of Proverbs of the Old Testament. Garner cautions, however, that if you work for an office or organization that doesn't know about "singular they," don't use it because people might think that you're illiterate.

The British Columbia Securities Commission advocates the use of "gender-free" language (Plain Language Style Guide, 2008). The BCSC explains that the occasional use of “he or she” and other gender-neutral terms may be non-intrusive, but their repetitive use distracts and annoys readers.

IMAGE CREDIT: GALLUP NEWS
Achieve gender-free language by making the subject plural

B. Example from the Plain Language Style Guide (2008)of the British Columbia Securities Commission:

Traditional use of masculine pronoun:

The borrower who is not prompt in making the payments due under his mortgage risks losing his home through a foreclosure procedure.

Gender-neutral language ("his or her"):

The borrower who is not prompt in making the payments due under his or her mortgage risks losing his or her home through a foreclosure procedure.

Gender-free language (by making the subject plural):

Borrowers who are not prompt in making the payments due under their mortgages risk losing their homes through foreclosure procedures.

C. Richard Lauchman, in his free PDF (A Handbook for Writers in the U.S. Federal Government), provides six ways to cut "his," "his/her," "his/hers," "his or her," "s/he":

1. Cut “his/her,” “his or her” from the sentence, if possible.

Original sentence:

Every writer must use his/her good judgment.

Rewritten:

Every writer must use good judgment.

2. Use "you."

Original sentence:

"Each researcher must bring his/her driver's license or other photo identification."

Rewritten:

You must bring your driver's license or other photo identification.

3. Make the first term plural, and then use "their."

Original sentence:

Each researcher must bring his/her driver's license or other photo identification.

Rewritten:

All researchers must bring their driver's license or other photo identification.

4. Use an article ("a," "an," or "the").

Original sentence:

Each researcher must bring his/her driver’s license or other photo identification.

Rewritten:

Each researcher must bring a driver’s license or other photo identification.

5. Write a passive construction.

Original sentence:

Each researcher must bring his/her driver’s license or other photo identification.

Rewritten:

A driver’s license or other photo identification is required.

6. In a lengthy document, you can use "he" and "she" interchangeably.

D. UN Guidelines for gender-inclusive language in English at https://www.un.org/en/gender-inclusive-language/guidelines.shtml with self-paced exercise in PDF format at https://www.un.org/en/gender-inclusive-language/assets/pdf/EN-Toolbox-Apply-the-guidelines-to-a-text_(self-paced).pdf

Topics discussed in the UN Guidelines are:

1. Use non-discriminatory language

1.1 Forms of address
1.2 Avoid gender-biased expressions or expressions that reinforce gender stereotypes

2. Make gender visible when it is relevant for communication

2.1 Using feminine and masculine pronouns
2.2 Using two different words

3. Do not make gender visible when it is not relevant for communication

3.1 Use gender-neutral words
3.2 Using plural pronouns/adjectives
3.3 Use the pronoun one
3.4 Use the relative pronoun who
3.5 Use a plural antecedent
3.6 Omit the gendered word
3.7 Use the passive voice

E. "Avoiding Sexism in Legal Writing — The Pronoun Problem" by Matthew Salzwedel:

Garner says that legal writers can simply avoid the pronoun problem by:

Deleting the pronoun. For example, instead of writing "No one can be elected to be a judge after he has reached the age of 65," a writer can say "No one can be elected to be a judge after the age of 65."

Changing the pronoun to an article like a(n) or the. For example, instead of writing "The attorney must file his brief by the deadline," a writer can say "The attorney must file the brief by the deadline."

Pluralizing the sentence so that he becomes they.
PLAYLIST UPDATE FOR NOVEMBER 25 - DECEMBER 1, 2023 OF JOSE CARILLO ENGLISH FORUM’S FACEBOOK GATEWAY

Simply click the web links to the 14 featured English grammar refreshers and general interest stories this week along with selected postings published in the Forum in previous years:

1. Getting to Know English: “Is your ‘were’ in the indicative or subjunctive mood?”

2. Essay by Jose Carillo: “The language of business”

3. You Asked Me This Question: “The strange grammar of ‘need’ as modal auxiliary”

4. Badly Written, Badly Spoken: “Thrown off by the highly officious and bureaucratic ‘regards’ idioms”

5. Advice and Dissent Retrospective: “Can religion be computer-coded so it can be acceptable to all of humanity?"

6. Students’ Sounding Board: “Dropping the introductory word ‘that’ in indirect speech”

7. Education and Teaching: “Constructing a story, writing a house” by Antonio Calipjo Go, Forum Contributor

8. Notable Works by Our Very Own: “Tales of the longest-staying Malacañang resident except for one”    

9. Language Humor at its Finest: “24 boggling imponderables to think through”

10. Time Out From English Grammar: “Bill Gates funds developer of feed additive that reduces cow burps and farts”

11. Your Thoughts Exactly: “Some tangled tropes that annoy me” by Isabel Escoda, Forum Contributor

12. The Forum Lounge: Parenting Letter: “Dear Mama and Papa,” contributed by Justine A., Forum Member

13. Your Thoughts Exactly: “Friendships chiseled so deeply in our mind,” contributed by Angel Casillan, Forum Member

14. A Forum Lounge Retrospective: Video -- “The Beauty of Pollination,” contributed by Angel Casillan, Forum Member

A. What is Plain English?

From Professor Robert Eagleson, Australia at https://www.plainlanguage.gov/about/definitions/short-definition/

"Plain English is clear, straightforward expression, using only as many words as are necessary. It is language that avoids obscurity, inflated vocabulary and convoluted sentence construction. It is not baby talk, nor is it a simplified version of the English language. Writers of plain English let their audience concentrate on the message instead of being distracted by complicated language. They make sure that their audience understands the message easily."

B. Terms synonymous with Plain English

The term "Plain English" is used in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. In other countries such as the USA, the term used is either "Plain Language" or "Plain Writing" because it includes languages other than English. In the European Commission (executive arm of the European Union), the term used is "Clear Writing."

C. Clarity, not brevity, the goal of Plain Language/Plain English

Whether Plain English, Plain Language, Plain Writing, or Clear Writing, the goal is clarity for public communications of government offices and of business organizations. Whether government regulations, commercial contracts, medical waiver forms, all of these must be written in such a way that ordinary readers can make sense of them.

For people who might say that law is a technical field and that legal documents can only be written precisely through traditional legal language, consider the following:

1. Several years ago, all the US Federal Rules of Court were restyled using Plain Language guidelines.

2.  Since 1984, the Michigan State Bar has been advocating for the use of Plain English in legal documents.

3. The National University of Singapore Law School uses as its textbook "Plain English for Lawyers" by Richard Wydick.

4. In 2010, the "Plain Writing Act" was enacted in the USA, requiring federal agencies to write "clear government communication that the public can understand and use."

For more information, please watch "Demand to Understand: How Plain Language Makes Life Simpler | Deborah Bosley | TEDxCharlotte" at https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OXcLwlZOE1s

D. The International Standards Organization (ISO) published its Plain Language Standard last July. The ISO says:

"This document establishes governing principles and guidelines for developing plain language documents. The guidelines detail how the principles are interpreted and applied.

"This document is for anybody who creates or helps create documents. The widest use of plain language is for documents that are intended for the general public. However, it is also applicable, for example, to technical writing, legislative drafting or using controlled languages.

"This document applies to most, if not all, written languages, but it provides examples only in English."

E. History of Plain Language bills filed in the Philippines

1. As early as the 14th Congress, (2007 to 2010) several bills were filed in the Senate and the House of Representatives seeking to require the use of Plain Language in government communications. There were also Plain Language bills filed in the 15th, 16th, 17th, and 18th Congress. Sadly, however, not one of these bills went beyond the committee level.

The late Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago is probably the first legislator to introduce a Plain Language bill in the Philippines. During the 14th Congress (2007-2010), she introduced SBN 3138 "Plain Language Act" and SBN 3503 "Plain Language in Health Insurance Act."

During his three terms in the House of Representatives, Rep. Rene Relampagos (1st District,  Bohol) filed several Plain Language bills.

2. For the 19th Congress (2022-2025), there are two Senate bills and three House bills that seek to require the use of Plain Language in government communications.

Senate bills:

(a) SBN-273: Plain Language in Government Documents Act

"An Act Requiring the Use of Plain Language in All Government-Issued Public Advisories, Notices, Announcements and Similar Documents Intended for Public Dissemination and Distribution"

Filed on July 11, 2022 by Sens. Manuel "Lito" Lapid and Joel Villanueva; http://legacy.senate.gov.ph/lisdata/3801235340!.pdf

"This bill seeks to require all national government agencies, offices, instrumentalities, including government-owned and -controlled corporations (GOCCs), to adopt the use of plain language in English, Filipino and/or other regional languages or dialects in all government-issued public advisories, notices, announcements and similar documents intended for public dissemination and distribution."

(b) SBN-714: Plain Writing for Public Service Act

"An Act Enhancing Citizens' Access to Government Information and Services by Requiring All Government Documents to Be Written in Plain Language and If Necessary, Translated to Local Language or Dialect"

Filed on July 18, 2022 by Sen. Grace Poe; https://legacy.senate.gov.ph/lisdata/3840134856!.pdf

"An informed citizenry is vital to nation building. If people know and understand laws, rules and regulations they are empowered to make informed decisions. To this, the government must take an active role in making sure that it communicates information that people can easily understand and comprehend. The use of plain language and the translation to local language or dialect improves the citizen's access to government information and service."

Note:

Sen. Grace Poe filed Plain Language bills as early as the 16th Congress.

House bills:

(a) HB05418: Plain Language for Public Service Act

"An Act To Enhance Citizens' Access to Government Information and Services by Establishing a System in which Government Documents Issued To the Public must be Written in Plain Language and Translated to the Local Language or Dialects, if necessary, and for other purposes"

Filed by Rep. Patrick Michael Vargas; https://hrep-website.s3.ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/legisdocs/basic_19/HB05418.pdf

"The strength of a nation is determined by how well-informed its general public is. People who are equipped with the right knowledge through a transparent government are better capable of making decisions as they are aware of and comprehend the laws, rules, and regulations.

"In many government agencies however, communications are not always as comprehensible to ordinary citizens who so mostly deserve to understand and use the information.

"Often, instructions and guidelines are written in a language that they
are not fluent in leading to delay and additional cost when transacting with the government.

"This bill seeks to address this communication problem by proposing a measure that will ensure that public or government communications, especially those in written form, are easily understood by its end-users."

(b) HB05465: Plain Language in Government Documents Act

"An Act Requiring the Use of Plain Language in All Government-Issued Public Advisories, Notices, Announcements and Similar Documents Intended for Public Dissemination and Distribution"

Filed by Rep. Ernesto "Ernix" Dionisio Jr.; https://hrep-website.s3.ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/legisdocs/basic_19/HB05465.pdf

"The government should aspire to make itself more accessible to the citizenry. To achieve this, communication between the former and the latter must be in general terms, unless the situation requires the use of more technical words. However, the government must ensure that relevant information reaches the masses lest it alienates them from vital knowledge."

"To ensure the widest accessibility, clarity and easy understanding of public information, all national government agencies, offices, instrumentalities, including government-owned and-controlled corporations (GOCCS), are hereby mandated to adopt the use of plain language in English, Filipino and/or other regional languages or dialects, as may be deemed necessary, for all covered documents."

Note:

Rep. Ernesto "Ernix" Dionisio Jr. mentions "communication between the former and the latter must be in general terms, unless the situation requires the use of more technical words." Bryan A. Garner, the editor of the authoritative Black's Law Dictionary, says that there are less than 200 terms of art ("technical words") in law.

(c) HB09158: Communication and Language Effectiveness for Accessible and Responsive (CLEAR) Government Act

"An Act to Enhance Citizens' Access to Government Information and Services by Requiring All Government Offices to Adopt Plain Language in All its Written Communications to the Public, and for other purposes"

Filed by Reps. Lani Mercado-Revilla, Bryan Revilla, and Jolo Ramon Revilla III; https://hrep-website.s3.ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/legisdocs/basic_19/HB09158.pdf

"In pursuit of effective public engagement and understanding, all government offices shall adopt the use of plain language in English, Filipino and/or other regional languages or dialects, as may be deemed necessary."

Note:

HB09158 is inspired by the US "Plain Writing Act of 2010."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10