Author Topic: Why are there no such words like "cleverer and cleverest" ...?  (Read 7652 times)

Sky

• View Profile
    • Email
Why are there no such words like "cleverer and cleverest" in the Merriam-Webster's Dictionary?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why are there no such words like "cleverer and cleverest" ...?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:53:53 PM »
I don't know what edition or imprint you have of Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, but mine, the digital Merriam-Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary, has separate entries for "cleverer" and "cleverest" to recognize their existence in the English lexicon. These two words, however, are simply intensifiers of the adjective "clever," and the dictionary assumes they are already understood as such by the reader. As a matter of style by the dictionary, therefore, these intensifiers no longer get separate entries with definitions nor are mentioned in the definition of the source word itself.

Sky

• View Profile
    • Email

Sky

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why are there no such words like "cleverer and cleverest" ...?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 09:52:51 PM »
"These two words, however, are simply intensifiers of the adjective "clever," and the dictionary assumes they are already understood as such by the reader. As a matter of style by the dictionary, therefore, these intensifiers no longer get separate entries with definitions nor are mentioned in the definition of the source word itself."

I got it, sir! Thanks!