Author Topic: Pilipinas Got Talent  (Read 3555 times)

littlebeatlebum

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pilipinas Got Talent
« on: May 10, 2010, 05:25:12 AM »
My instinct tells me there's something wrong about the title of the show "Pilipinas Got Talent." Because apparently, "America's Got Talent" (from which the local show is patterned) is a contraction of "America has got talent." So "Pilipinas Got Talent" must be lacking a modal, or am I getting it all wrong?

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pilipinas Got Talent
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:41:40 PM »
You're eagle-eyed, littlebeatlebum. ;D :D. America's/America Has Got Talent(informal) indeed. Yes, it seems it should read: Pilipinas Has Got Talent, otherwise, it should be Pilipinas Has Talent, which is more formal. ::) :-[Cheers!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:30:37 PM »
As hill roberts has observed, littlebeatlebum, your instinct for good English is correct. The show title “Pilipinas Got Talent” is a grammatically flawed construction of “Pilipinas Has Got Talent,” where the verb phrase “has got”—in its contracted form here—means “to be in possession of.” The correct construction is, of course, “Pilipinas’s Got Talent,” but the awkward and inconvenient apostrophe-“s” after the noun “Pilipinas” obviously made the author of that title decide to just junk it for easier enunciation of the phrase. The result, “Pilipinas Got Talent,” is actually hideous grammar, but entertainment producers often get away with it by justifying it as an exercise of literary license.

I also would like to clarify that “has,” the word that’s missing in that show title, “Pilipinas Got Talent,” isn’t a modal but the present third-person singular form of the verb “have,” which means to “possess.” A modal—“can,” “may,” and “might” are common examples—is an entirely different grammatical form that indicates the conditionality of a state or of an action, as in “Pilipinas May Have Talent.” Here, the modal verb phrase is grammatically correct, but the subject “Pilipinas,” as in the title “Pilipinas Got Talent,” is likewise semantically flawed. It’s not the country but its people—and not only its women—that are being referred to, but this simple fact is ridiculously lost in both constructions.

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 02:40:57 PM »
Good morning, Joe. Indeed, in the UK they use the informal "have/has/had got" instead of the formal "have/has/had + adjective/noun. Over they years, I , too, wondered but it's a British thing. Many also start their question with: "Have you got this..?" instead of "Do you have this...?" or, my own husband would say, "Have you got to shout?" instead of , "Do you have to shout?" Ha ha ha. ;D ;) ::)See you later!