Author Topic: Negative denotations of the word "Filipina"  (Read 25630 times)

renzphotography

Re: Negative denotations of the word "Filipina"
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 08:42:15 AM »
We develop names for things, ideas, places, etc. based on everyday observations or easily associated ideas.

For instance, among Filipinos it is common to hear people call cameras as "kodak" after the popular film brand and toothpastes "colgate" again after a brand.

I think the British call their underground train system the "tube" because the tunnel reminds them of a tube. They call elevators "lift" because the contraption could literally lift one from floor to floor. I'm sure you can think of more examples.

Unfortunately, the so-called negative connotations to the word "Filipina" were derived in the same way. People from different parts of the world associate Filipino women to the profession they are commonly known to have.

Throughout Asia, Europe, and the Middle East the most common profession of Filipino women is that of a nanny or "domestic helpers" as some would put it.

Even if the number of female nurses who work abroad is growing (concentrated in the UK, US, Canada and Australia) their presence simply do not compare to the nannies. Moreover, I know how people overseas would look down at the nursing profession as a "glorified nanny" in the hospital despite the years and money spent in college. Doctors are still respected but nurses are looked down upon.

However, the word "Filipino" (pertaining to men from the Philippines) is associated to highly skilled people. Of course, the usual contact made by peoples of other nations are with male Filipinos with skills in technical fields.

What you should know is peoples from poorer countries/communities all over the world (except for some countries like Indonesia) would never allow their women to work abroad in fear of abuse no matter how poor they might be. They are very protective of their women believe me. This is why they wonder and have asked me on many occasions (I have worked in the Middle East) why we let our women work abroad as nannies and face humiliation and abuse.

As for mail order brides, combine facility in English with the notion of marrying a foreigner as the key to poverty alleviation and you will find many Filipino women in this wedding ring hunt. Actually, I know many who are successful in their professions who are very much into this. Check out the nearest internet cafe in your location and you might find some. And who are we to criticize them? Or put it this way, who are we to think that they are doing no good? These are adults who can decide for themselves. Believe me they enjoy it and they would talk you down if they sense you are belittling them.

And yet, we go back to the stereotypes associated to the word "Filipina". I realized that no street protest, publicity campaign, or even a hundred Leah Salongas or Cory Aquinos will change that. The image associated to the word "Filipina" was shaped by thousands of encounters back then and now, and perhaps in the future. Between the people you read in the news and the lady who cleans your house everyday who do you think will leave a longer lasting impression?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:52:07 AM by renzphotography »

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 12:39:43 PM »
Hi renzphotography,
thank you for your elaborate discussion of these filipina-related-realities. it is quite a relief, but mere acceptance of the fact and trends won't change the problem. word of mouth and actual experience may be that strong and effective, but strengthened advocacies may save this "image" from getting totally tarnished. let people know the truth that filipino women are also "clean, ideal, and professional"- that wouldn't hurt. much of the world do not know these, so what harm would it do if each and every filipino is urged to say something good about our women too? reverse the effect of that negative notion! establish awareness campaigns! i am concerned of the long term impact of this concept on filipino women, whether or not one or two groups of women enjoy their so-called status (what, at the expense of the majority?). if we allow ourselves to be dragged on to this stereotypes without correcting the wrong to the better, the innocent young would be approaching a very bleak future. i am not actually image-conscious, but just sensitive to the suffering of the young people abroad bullied and ridiculed for being children of 'filipinas". how can the fast-growing power of the internet contribute to this mission of upgrading the image of the "true heroes of our times", "true heroes of the family and of the Filipino citizenry?" (hehehe ;D, sorry, i'm a feminist). i would even like to raise funds just to urge writers write articles that regains the true image lost, and publish such articles in the internet.

renzphotography

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 06:48:49 AM »
I am not accepting realities per se but I would rather deal with these issues armed with a broader perspective.

As for the stereotype of Filipinas as nannies my recommendation is to stop the deployment of Filipinas as nannies abroad. Draconian but that will change things for good—however I do expect stiff opposition from those who will be directly affected.

Now, regarding Filipinas who search for foreign husbands I dare say that no policy will change that for only a change of attitude will work.

Ironically, the very people who have set out to emancipate Filipinas are the very culprits behind the behavior you abhor—and I am referring to the people behind the feminist movement.

The moment feminists have liberated the sexuality of women and the moment Filipino men were branded as masochists was the moment the flood gate to foreign marriages was unleashed.

Don't get me wrong because there were foreign marriages even before the feminist movement has taken hold but it was never at this level and women were never this aggressive.

No thanks to magazines like Cosmopolitan, Seventeen, Candy and all those "liberated" women's magazines womanizing has never been easier because women nowadays are just as sexually aggressive as men.

You're movement has surely removed the guilt out of philandering. Younger men don't go to girlie bars anymore—well what for when there are FUBUs everywhere?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 06:35:51 AM by renzphotography »

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 10:58:35 AM »
From the Manila Times, internet edition:

More Articles...

* Lacson liable for keeping Bentain murder ‘secret’
    * Majority of Pinoys use generic medicines, says Health chief
    * This Palestinian gives away Bibles
    * LTO frequency project skipped legal process

When I first saw this, I thought it was about Filipinos, i.e. men.   But no, it was about Filipinos, i.e. men and women.   Stick to Filipino - please!

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 11:09:56 AM »
"...Last night, I received the note below from Isabel Escoda, Hong Kong-based Filipino English teacher, book writer, and features contributor to various publications both in the Philippines and in Hong Kong. She gave me permission to post it for her in the Forum..."

"...Sometime in mid-September, Beth Carillo Taye (no relation to me), a Filipina based in Germany, copy furnished me an e-mail with a set of old photos of Manila at the turn of the 20th century..."

The above quotes were both posted in the forum by Joe 

Now, if Joe is having a bet each way, what are the rest of us to do?    :(

I am coming around to the view that "Filipino" is perfectly adequate.    In both of the above sentences,there is no need to use "Filipina" to denote the feminine gender; we can work that out from the names!

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 03:47:24 PM »
That is right, Max. Filipino is a much better term. I am just wondering what made Sir Joe use Filipino and Filipina to refer to the female Filipino. There must be a reason, and that is what I am interested to know. There is a big difference in the two words (referring to the female gender). What was he thinking (of the woman) when he used the word Filipino...and when he used Filipina (to refer to the other woman?)  ::)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 04:11:08 PM »
My understanding of the usage of "Filipina" as the feminine form of "Filipino" is this: Use "Filipina" when it's a stand-alone term denoting a female Filipino, as in "The demure doctor at the clinic turned out to be a Filipina." On the other hand, use "Filipino" when that word is used to modify a generic noun or generic noun phrase of any gender, as in "The demure doctor at the clinic turned out to be a Filipino immigrant." In this latter case, of course, the gender is not specified and could only be inferred from the sense of the sentence; if the subject is feminine, the gender is established by the use of the feminine pronoun or some feminine attribute ("demure" in the example given here).

We need to keep in mind here that the use of the terms "Filipino" / "Filipina" is actually governed by the grammar conventions of the Spanish language, which generally assigns "o" endings to masculine nouns and "a" endings to feminine nouns. Strictly speaking, when Filipinos write or speak in English, this spelling distinction need not be observed, but our brains persist in doing as a lingering cultural reflex--a legacy of Spain's nearly 400 years of colonial rule of the Philippines.