Author Topic: The French are coming!  (Read 7125 times)

renzphotography

The French are coming!
« on: September 28, 2009, 06:12:38 PM »

Here we are discussing ways and means on how to improve the use of the English language in these islands yet somehow people in some schools have fancied another language to teach our students, French!

This article came up today http://www.bworldonline.com/BW092809/breakingnews.php#1560

13 science high schools to teach French

Updated as of 1:43PM, 09/28/2009

THIRTEEN science high schools in the country will hold French language classes beginning next school year, according to an agreement signed on Monday between the Department of Education and the French Embassy.

The schools that are set to offer French classes starting school year 2010 to 2011 include six science high schools in the National Capital Region (Quezon City, Makati, Manila, Caloocan, Mandaluyong and Muntinlupa) and seven high schools in the Central Visayas (Cebu City, Mandaue City, the municipality of Minglanilla, municipality of Medellin, Toledo City, Science Tech Education Center in Cebu province and Tagbilaran City in Bohol),DepEd Secretary Jesli A. Lapus said in a statement.

The schools, he said, enjoy high mean percentage scores in English and are expected to serve as lead schools in the country in mainstreaming the agency's Special Program in Foreign Language.

Mr. Lapus said that through the program, the students will be equipped with skills that are useful in a linguistically and culturally diverse global workplace.

"On account of globalization, our graduates are competing with people from other countries when they join the workforce. Learning a widely used international language early on will give our graduates that competitive advantage," he said. — Louella D. Desiderio

Why not Spanish for we have deep cultural roots with the Spaniards? Or, why not Nihonggo when there are so many engineering and science scholarships offered by Japan, a technologically advanced country?

Take note,  science high schools are involved so I suppose the students in these schools will find a great time counting in French--the hard way  ;D

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:16:22 PM by renzphotography »

madgirl09

• View Profile
Re: The French are coming!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »
"Keeping up with the Joneses", our students have to acquire what makes the "competitors"  stand out. Isn't knowing French a status symbol in the Western world? Learning French would give our people a "more winning edge". Why not Spanish? In the USA, Spanish is more closely associated with Latinos. As if what you speak reflects your economic status. See why more and more Australian and American kids learn Japanese in their classrooms. Has it something to do with the more stable Japanese yen? Educated Filipinos may not like to mingle with "japayukis' (sorry for the term...just trying to use authentic words) :-\, making Nihongo not so attractive...yet.

renzphotography

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 10:06:33 PM »

I can't believe you're saying this Madgirl09, of all the people! I thought you were going to promote the Japanese language.

When the Thais, Koreans, Japanese and Mainland Chinese are moving heaven and earth to learn English here you are telling us the study of French will make us competitive. I don't see how studying French will give Filipinos the edge--perhaps high nosed.

By the way, any Spanish speaking Filipino could earn at least PHP30,000 a month in call centers because they can handle English and "Latino" calls from the US.

I visited the JASSO website and saw the many engineering and science scholarships offered by Japanese institutions--all the more reason science high schools should promote the study of Nihonggo.

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 07:34:53 AM »
Hi Renz...Oh, ;D I forgot to mention that the response I had earlier was not my opinion, but those were impressions gathered from my recent attendance in the course- Bilingualism. I was just reporting the current trends in bilingual/multilingual world, not advocating on those, but actually frustrated with the trends. You must have read my other postings at other threads promoting Nihongo to Filipinos...and I am still rallying for its introduction to many high schools in the Philippines due to the big number of our countrymen entering Japan every year.

Oh, I think, I wasn't able to establish the right tone  :D (I was mad...as in mad :( ) when I was typing that report. What should have I said? Anyways...it's saddening that we can't have enough time to discuss the issues in print. :'(

Not only in the USA but also in Japan where your ability to speak Spanish or other Asian languages is not a big advantage. If you know English and French here, you could be always sought after. Locals are always in search of tutors who could prepare them for their future tours in Europe. It maybe just me, but during my short visit in L.A. last year, I felt that my Spanish skills was almost useless. We were the last batch to learn Spanish in college. It was not so cool to speak the "Latino language", but knowing a bit of French especially when ordering food at a restaurant would raise eyebrows ::) and therefore add self-esteem. In HS classrooms in Japan, bilingual Japanese teachers now aim to study French to get ahead of others (English native speakers, and Filipino English speakers).

But this is just the superficial language demand. The real need lies in the greater support the big players in our world are searching for. The Japanese, who could pay big sums for service have constant need for translators to accompany them or translate information into their native language. My students who were in charge of translating their company websites, intellectual property rights, and product manual revisions were retained in their posts even during this economic downturn...Oh, more issues later...(GTG..some work waiting) :-\

I am pushing Filipinos to learn Japanese, of course, as not literate in it would mean getting stuck to lower-paying jobs here in Japan. I'll share more later....

renzphotography

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 06:17:37 PM »

It's alright..whatever  ;D  Do you know that Vietnamese students could choose to study Russian, English or French as a secondary language in high school? You have colonialism and the cold war to blame for that.

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 02:57:08 PM »
renz, English is a colonial language. you speak it, you live (in) it's culture.

renzphotography

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 09:23:38 PM »

Well, I'm not saying our knowledge of American English wasn't due to colonialism. Keep in mind that Nihonggo was promoted vigorously by the Japanese when they forced Filipinos at gun point to learn it during WW2.

My point is the Vietnamese have a choice among three language electives. In the Philippines we have only one foreign language taught compulsory in the education system. 

Now, among the three foreign languages promoted widely in Vietnam I wonder if their knowledge of the French language has helped them in their economic endeavors more than their knowledge of English.