Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
PLAYLIST UPDATE FOR NOVEMBER 4 - 10, 2023 OF THE FORUM’S FACEBOOK GATEWAY

Simply click the web links to the 14 featured English grammar refreshers and general interest stories this week along with selected postings published in the Forum in previous years:

1. Market Positioning: “Winning the battle for people’s minds”

2. Getting to Know English: “The little-heralded past imperfect tense in English”

3. Use and Misuse: “The problem with our English according to Jose Carillo”

4. You Asked Me This Question: “How do ‘I hope’ and ‘hopefully’ differ and is the latter acceptable usage?”

5. Essays by Jose Carillo: “My misgivings when people wish me ‘More power!’”

6. Students’ Sounding Board: “An assortment of bewildering questions about English usage”    

7. Getting To Know English: “The emphatic forms and inverted sentences”

8. Essays by Joe Carillo: “Questionable English grammar in the lyrics of a popular song”

9. Language Humor At Its Finest: “A cavalcade of palindromes”

10. Time Out From English Grammar: “Thomas Edison’s greatest idea ‘wasn’t something anybody could patent or touch’”

11. Advice and Dissent: “Minority faiths in Middle East face extinction due to religious intolerance”

12. Time Out From English Grammar: “The real wonder is that humans ever discovered science at all”

13. Education and Teaching: “The rocky road to idiomatic English”    

14. A Forum Lounge RetrospectIve: “Verbatim: What Is a photocopier?”    

Getting to Know English / Winning the battle for people’s minds
« Last post by Joe Carillo on November 09, 2023, 10:31:49 AM »
Why is it that some applicants with sterling credentials and impressive personality—even if they can write job application letters in good English—don’t get any calls at all for a job interview? Why is it that some politicians with impeccable character and an unblemished public-service record get bashed right and left for every conceivable shenanigan they may not even aware or heard about?

The problem in the first case might be that despite the job applicant’s positive attributes, his or her qualifications don’t meet the job requirements or even if they do, the application letter itself doesn’t communicate to the prospective employer a sense of competence and trustworthiness. And in the second case, the problem might be even more complex—the politician’s opponents might have been insidiously besmirching his or her reputation but the latter just ignored it as too inconsequential to bother refuting.

The operative word in both cases is positioning, and this—whether it works for good and bad for you—is the powerful marketing concept presented by the now-classic book Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind by Al Ries and Jack Trout.

The revolutionary idea was originally developed by Ries and Trout—both seasoned advertising agency executives—for marketing, branding, and product advertising. From the time that the book was published over 42 years ago, that idea has found wide, vigorous, and successful application in various fields: in marketing, politics, corporate communications, education, even in organized religion.

Here, in a nutshell, is how Ries and Trout formally defined positioning in their book that took the business and advertising world by storm in 1981:

“Positioning starts with a product. A piece of merchandise, a service, a company, an institution, or even a person. Perhaps yourself.

“But positioning is not what you do to a product. Positioning is what you do to the mind of the prospect. That is, you position the product in the mind of the prospect. A newer definition [for it]: ‘How you differentiate yourself in the mind of your prospect.’

“So it’s incorrect to call the concept ‘product positioning’ as if you were doing something to the product itself.

“Not that positioning doesn’t involve change. It does. But changes made in the name, the price, and the packages are really not changes in the product at all. They’re basically cosmetic changes done for the purpose of securing a worthwhile position in the prospect’s mind.”

In the battle for people’s minds, Ries and Trout argue, perception is reality. You may not be the best, but if you position yourself well and pursue that positioning well, you stand a good chance of beating the competition and winning the recognition that you desire.

Thus they strongly recommend: “The best approach to take in our overcommunicated society is the oversimplified message. In communication, as in architecture, less is more. You have to sharpen your message to cut into the mind. You have to jettison the ambiguities, simplify the message, and then simplify it some more if you want to make a long lasting impression.”

“The…paradox is that nothing is more important than communication. With communication going for you, anything is possible. Without it, nothing is possible. No matter how talented and ambitious you may be. What’s called luck is usually an outgrowth of successful communication. Saying the right things to the right person at the right time.

“Positioning is an organized system for finding windows in the mind. It is based on the concept that communication can only take place at the right time and under the right circumstances."

It therefore behooves all of us to always position ourselves purposively for whatever enterprise we find worth pursuing—and not to allow other people or just any entity to make that position for us by default. And to succeed in today’s world, it’s never too early or too late to read Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind and to start applying its prescriptions now—right now.
------------

This is an expanded version of the author’s 390-word essay that appeared in this column in the August 8, 2009 issue of The Manila Times.

Read this essay and listen to its voice recording in The Manila Times:
Winning the battle for people’s minds      

Next: The world in 854 words         November 16, 2023

Visit Jose Carillo’s English Forum, http://josecarilloforum.com. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter and e-mail me at j8carillo@yahoo.com.
Use and Misuse / The problem with our English according to Jose Carillo
« Last post by Joe Carillo on November 05, 2023, 12:27:24 AM »
When Jose Carillo’s English-language services company ran a want ad for editors sometime in 2003, close to 100 applicants applied by e-mail. Practically all of them had at least an AB degree in English, mass communication, or the social sciences; three were magna cum laudes and six cum laudes; and 10 even had Master’s degrees. Disconcertingly, however, most of their job application letters were worded and constructed in unbelievably strange, convoluted, stilted English like the one that's reproduced below verbatim:

“Dear Sir/Madam:   

“Greetings in Peace!   

“Responding with utmost immediacy to your job opportunity ad published on January 6,    ____ in the __________, I wish to  inform you of my fervor interest in applying for the position of Editor. I am an AB graduate of the University of ______ with distinct recognition as a leader and achiever in the field of debating and as editor-in-chief of the student publication, journals, and other newsletters of the academe.   

[The applicant then gives a glowing three-paragraph work experience description.]

“For your evaluation, I am enclosing my résumé as an attachment as a first step in exploring the possibilities of employment in your client’s organization. I would appreciate hearing from you soon.

“Thank you for your consideration and God Bless.”

In his book English Plain and Simple whose third updated edition went off the press last September, Jose Carillo says the English of such job application letters is obviously not the English to use when you want to present yourself in the most favorable way to a prospective employer.

He says: “The truth is that many of us who write in English distrust our own ability to present ourselves in a good light. No matter how educated or experienced we are, we often instinctively assume the persona and voice of someone else when we sit down to write. We take refuge in some pseudo-legal mumbo-jumbo that we think will impress our reader or listener.

“And once we get started in this legal-sounding language, we get snared and become addicted to it. Instead of writing as we would talk, we habitually grasp at these arcane words and phrases in the mistaken belief that like some mantra, they will miraculously make things happen for us.”   

Jose Carillo likewise observes that the English of not a few Ph.Ds with a “publish or perish” mindset often verges on gibberish—long, pompous, confused, and empty—like this hardly comprehensible official report, published verbatim in a daily newspaper, by an education official writing on Philippine education indicators:   

“Teachers’ skills, training, development and welfare with __ percent of the sample attest to their importance in validating the significant effect of teachers’ welfare on the students. Skills training, welfare and development translated into further studies, seminars and benefits are the determinants of Friday sickness (in cases of teachers posted in far-flung barrios, where teachers will usually miss Friday classes, indicative of their dedication to the learning process of their ward) and the gruesome test of dedication and commitment.”   

Carillo’s book English Plain and Simple, which won the National Book Award from the Manila Critics Circle upon its publication in 2005, makes every effort to address this very serious and embarrassing communication inadequacy. It provides systematic but easy-to-follow instructions in English writing that students and teachers alike need to continually develop so they can communicate their thoughts and ideas clearly, simply, and confidently to particular audiences.
-------------------
English Plain and Simple in its third updated edition is available at National Book Store and Fully Booked branches nationwide. Click this link for the list of outlets. Copies can also be ordered for direct delivery to you by Lazada and Shoppee. For volume orders of 50 copies or more, call the Manila Times Publishing Corp. at Tel. 02-8524-5664 to 67 locals 117 and 222, or 099855388871.
PLAYLIST UPDATE FOR OCTOBER 28 - NOVEMBER 3, 2023 OF THE FORUM’S FACEBOOK GATEWAY

Simply click the web links to the 16 featured English grammar refreshers and general interest stories this week along with selected postings published in the Forum in previous years:

1. Getting To Know English Better: “A figure of speech that can subvert reason and logic”

2. You Asked Me This Question: “Revisiting once more the intractable "who"/"whom" grammar conundrum”

3. Students’ Sounding Board: “When is sentence inversion a matter of grammar or style?”

4. Use and Misuse: “Use of ‘hopefully’ and other grammar bugbears”

5. Badly Written, Badly Spoken: “The proper possessive adjective for the pronoun ‘everybody’”    

6. Advocacies Retrospective: “Tale of the Text: A mind-numbing torrent of cringeworthy English,” a review by Antonio Calipjo Go, Forum Contributor    

7. You Asked Me This Question: “Getting used to common English colloquialisms”

8. My Media English Watch: “The perils of misusing literary allusions in feature stories”

9. Language Humor At Its Finest: “34 business jokes and quotes to perk up our dreary days”

10. Going Deeper Into Language: “The nature of true English idioms”

11. Time Out From Grammar Retrospective: “Measuring up to the human body’s perfection in architectural terms”

12. Your Thoughts Exactly: “Outrage over a wasted investment in English proficiency”

13. Views and Commentaries: “The character gap between the educated and uneducated”

14. A Reading You Might Have Missed:: “Copernicus’ heliocentric theory as the mother of all paradigm shifts”

15. Essays by Jose Carillo: “The germ of a great idea remembered”

16. A Forum Lounge Retrospective: “Lost in the English translation"

I have decided to publish in full a very interesting letter by a Filipina senior citizen living in Australia who describes herself as "still trying to write and speak grammatically correct English" to a level that will make her Batch 1959 high school English teachers in the Philippines proud.

Here's the letter that she e-mailed to me last October 26, 2023:

Dear Mr. Carillo,

I am one of the followers of your Forum that a friend sends me regularly through e-mail.  I love reading the Forum postings and at one [time even] saved some of them until illness halted that practice.   

Yesterday, a friend forwarded to me your Forum dated Oct. 20, 2023 that had this subject as lead feature: “Using grammar as a tool for persuasion”. After reading it, I came across your retrospective on the book Connecting Flights in which you quoted from Mr. Ruel de Vera’s introduction to the anthology the following passage:

>>>> “I am honored to be able to invite passengers whom I admire and hold genuine affection for. Connecting Flights boasts of a manifest with some of my favorite writer friends, each checking in with poem, fiction or essay carried forward with the greatest velocity. These are the passengers I want to be with when embarking on a trip that is to change everything, regardless of destination and duration.”<<<<

My question: Should Mr. de Vera not have used WHO instead of WHOM before the words “I admire” and WHOM before “hold genuine affection” because he used “for” as ending preposition?

Thank you for your defense of the serial comma. I strongly agree with you on your stand.  However, I noticed that even seasoned writers or journalists are not mindful of this.

And thank you, too, for your kind attention to this e-mail. I am an 81-year-old Pinay living in Australia, still trying to write and speak grammatically correct English to make my high school English teachers proud--Virginia A. R., Fe D., and my other English teachers from the former Philippine College of Commerce High School Department (Batch 1959).

Nona I.

------------

My reply to Nona I.:

Dear Nona,

I'm truly gratified to know that you are a long-time follower of Jose Carillo's English Forum and that you strongly agree with my personal stand on the serial comma and my defense of its usage.

Regarding your doubt about the acceptability of Mr. Ruel de Vera's usage of "whom" instead of "who" in his introduction to the Connecting Flights anthology, I must point out that from both the style and language register standpoints, the correct choice between "whom" and "who" in that construction has remained highly debatable. It's a veritable grammar conundrum, such that to very aggressively take a firm stand on it either way would be like clutching a live uninsulated 220-volt cable with your bare hand. 

For this reason, Nona, I would like to invite you to first read a retrospective of a 2014 Forum essay of mine, "Revisiting the 'who'/'whom' grammar conundrum." It's my position about a debatable usage uncannily similar to the one you presented in your letter. That retrospective appeared in the Forum on May 14, 2020, and it gives essentially the same answer to your doubt about the correctness of Mr. Ruel de Vera's choice of "whom" instead of "who" in the passage you cited from his introduction to Connecting Flights.

When you're done reading and analyzing it, do let me know what you think.

Sincerely yours,
Joe Carillo

Revisiting the “who”/“whom” grammar conundrum

At about this time in 2014, a Forum member called my attention to this sentence in a newspaper feature article: “I remember a memorable experience, in the 1970s, with my paternal grandmother, a feisty devout Buddhist living in Davao who I frequently visited.”

He then posed these questions: “Is the use of ‘who’ in the sentence above correct or acceptable? Or should ‘whom’ be used instead?”

IMAGE CREDIT: 7ESL.COM

To start with, I told him that prescriptive grammarians condemn the use of the subjective “who” in that sentence construction and would demand adamantly that it be replaced with the objective “whom.” Personally, though, I find this demand ill-advised because it makes the sentence sound too formal, stilted, and stuffy: “I remember a memorable experience, in the 1970s, with my paternal grandmother, a feisty devout Buddhist living in Davao whom I frequently visited.”

So what do we do to avoid the “who”/“whom” impasse? We can attempt a mild rewrite that uses neither “who” nor “whom” but retains the sense and tonality intended of the original, like this: “I remember a memorable experience, in the 1970s, with my paternal grandmother, a feisty devout Buddhist I frequently visited in Davao.” The aspect of the subject’s “living” in Davao is lost in that reconstruction, of course, but I think it’s a small price to pay for skirting the “who” vs. “whom” conundrum while nicely streamlining the sentence.

But then why should we go to such lengths when presented with the choice between “who” and “whom”? It’s because aside from being highly debatable, the use of either “who” or “whom” is often too problematic from both the style and language register standpoints.

The grammatically unassailable “whom,” which is the true objective-case form of “who,” just doesn’t sound right to the modern ear; in many cases, in fact, “whom” imbues an unwanted pedantic, standoffish academic tone to what should be a conversational statement. On the other hand, using “who” instead often gives leaves us with the uncomfortable feeling that something’s not right with the sentence.

On the very day in 2014 that I was writing my reply to the “who”/“whom” question, a Harvard Magazine mailer providentially landed on my mailbox with this very timely advertorial question: “Whom Will You Honor This Mother’s Day?” That interrogative construction is actually one of the few iffy “whom” usages that I can tolerate without getting overpowered by the itch to change to “who,” but frankly, I’d be more comfortable and at peace with that message if it had used “who” instead: “Who Will You Honor This Mother’s Day?”

Other than total reconstruction, there are actually two ways of avoiding “whom” in  sentences like “The salesman whom we hired for the new product is doing a terrific job.” One is to drop the relative pronoun altogether as in this elliptical construction: “The salesman we hired for the new product is doing a terrific job.” The other is to use the relative pronoun “that” instead: “The salesman that we hired for the new product is doing a terrific job.”.

Personally, I wouldn’t hesitate to use “that” in such cases. After all, early English actually used words related to “that” to mark relative clauses, and used “who” and “whom” only as question words and as indefinite pronouns in such constructions as “I wonder who were at the hunt.” Indeed, it was only because of the strong influence of Latin on written English in the 1800s that led to the “highbrow” use of “who” and “whom” as relative pronouns.

These days, however, many native English speakers are rediscovering the grammatical virtue of “that” as an all-purpose relative pronoun. I do think that even nonnative English speakers now can follow suit with very little danger of being marked as uneducated yokels.

This essay, 1,194th of the series, appeared in the column “English Plain and Simple” by Jose A. Carillo in the Campus Press section of the May 14, 2020 Internet edition of The Manila Times,© 2020 by the Manila Times Publishing Corp. All rights reserved.

POSTSCRIPT:
In the hope of reaching a widely acceptable consensus on the "who"/"whom" usage conundrum, the Forum is making an open invitation to its members and followers to share with with us their thoughts on this subject. The Forum will be delighted to post the five most persuasive and best articulated submissions not exceeding 150 words. - Joe Carillo
Getting to Know English / A figure of speech that can subvert reason and logic
« Last post by Joe Carillo on October 30, 2023, 06:20:11 PM »
Ever wondered how some people have moved us or inspired us to do improbable things their way, or mesmerized us, put blinders on our eyes, then made us do irrational things that we would never have dreamed of doing had we not been under their spell?

If so, then the speakers must have been using chiasmus, a figure of speech that surpasses all the other rhetorical devices in its power to demolish our built-in defenses and arouse our emotions. We could very well call chiasmus the linguistic incarnation of charisma—that rare and inscrutable ability of certain people to inspire fierce loyalty and devotion among their followers.

The use of chiasmus dates back to antiquity. In the 6th century B.C., the extremely wealthy Lydian King Croesus went on record using it: “In peace sons bury their fathers, but in war fathers bury their sons.” Such wisdom in only 13 words! Is it possible that King Croesus became fabulously wealthy because he was so adept at chiasmus and—by implication—at compelling people’s obedience? Or did he become so good at coining chiasmus because his wealth had allowed him the leisure to craft it?

Now take a look at this familiar line from U.S. President John F. Kennedy’s 1961 inaugural address: “Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.” Just 17 words, but they give us the feeling of an immensely satisfying four-hour lecture on good citizenship. Then see chiasmus at work in this charming line by the English physician and author Havelock Ellis: “Charm is a woman’s strength; strength is a man’s charm.” And then hark to this timeless sage advice from Genesis 9:6: “Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed.”

By now you must have already discovered for yourself that chiasmus reverses the order of words in two parallel phrases. Take this chiasmus by the legendary Hollywood actress Mae West: “I’d rather be looked over than overlooked.” “Looked over” is “overlooked” in reverse, making the speaker wickedly but deliciously imply that she enjoys being ogled at. The parallel word reversals arouse our senses, disarming us so we readily accept their claim as truthful. Chiasmus has this power because it heightens the sense of drama in language by surprise. It is no wonder that it holds the distinction of being mankind’s all-time vehicle for expressing great truths and, conversely and deceptively, also great untruths.

Most types of chiasmus reverse the words of familiar sayings in a felicitously parallel way, as in the French proverb, “Love makes time pass, time makes love pass.” For chiasmus to succeed, however, the two insights offered by the word reversals should both be true and survive subsequent scrutiny. They could also be untrue, and therein lies the danger in chiasmus being used by demagogues and charlatans to deceive people.

But chiasmus need not be an exact reversal of a familiar saying. Take what the English writer Richard Brinksley said on beholding for the first time the woman whom he was to later marry: “Why don’t you come into my garden? I would like my roses to see you.” This implied chiasmus cleverly reverses this usual invitation of proud homemakers: “I’d like you to see my roses.”

If chiasmus is this pleasurable, does it mean that we should spend a lot of time composing it to impress people? Not really! Chiasmus has to be used very sparingly, to be reserved only for those very special moments when saying them can truly spell a make-or-break difference in our lives, like preparing for battle, wooing the hearts and minds of people, ruing abject failure, or celebrating great success. In our everyday lives, it is enough for us to spot a good chiasmus so we can savor its wisdom, and to have the wisdom to discern when we are simply being conned with fallacy or propaganda being masqueraded as great truth.   

A figure of speech that can subvert reason and logic      

This is a condensation of the author’s 753-word essay that first appeared in this column in the November 2, 2003 issue of The Manila Times.

Next week: Winning the battle for people’s minds      November 9, 2023

Visit Jose Carillo’s English Forum, http://josecarilloforum.com. You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter and e-mail me at j8carillo@yahoo.com.
PLAYLIST UPDATE FOR OCTOBER 21 - 27, 2023 OF THE FORUM’S FACEBOOK GATEWAY

Simply click the web links to the 15 featured English grammar refreshers and general interest stories this week along with selected postings published in the Forum in previous years:

1. Education and Teaching: “An urgent call to arrest a decline in English proficiency among Filipino employees and workers”

IMAGE CREDIT: VENTUREMANAGEMENT.NET

2. Getting To Know English: “Don’t let ‘can,’ ‘could,’ ‘will,’ and ‘would’ baffle you anymore”

3. You Asked Me This Question: "Why do many young writers prefer ‘beneath’ to ‘under’ or ‘below’”

4. Essays by Jose Carillo Retrospective: “The battle for our minds”    

5. Time Out From English Grammar: "European female frogs play dead to avoid unwanted sexual advances”    

6. Students’ Sounding Board: "Positioning pronouns in complex sentences largely a style decision”

7. My Media English Watch: "Doing battle with the recurrent misuse of the conjunction ‘as’”

8. Essays by Jose A. Carillo Retrospective: “One more time about six one-word, two-word mix-ups”

9. Use and Misuse: “The correct, judicious forms of address in a bureaucracy”

10. Language Humor at its Finest Retrospective: “Just playing with words today for the sheer fun of doing it!”

11. Time Out From English Grammar: “Solar-storm dating technique confirms Vikings settled in North America in AD1021”

12. Your Thoughts Exactly: “How light dawns on us” by vin09, Forum Contributor

13. Time Out From English Grammar: “Two poetry readings for All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day”

14. The Forum Lounge: "Phenomenal rock star Freddie Mercury sings ‘Barcelona’ and ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ for the ages"

15. The Forum Lounge: "The Life of the Flowers" (Video)

Getting to Know English / The battle for our minds
« Last post by Joe Carillo on October 24, 2023, 11:33:05 AM »
Once upon a time in our fledgling democracy, people who sought elective office assiduously cultivated a public life of honor, dignity, and excellence. The measures of social and political acceptance were intelligence, integrity, and achievement. The political firmament of the pre-Independence era thus brimmed with such illustrious names as Quezon, Osmeña, Recto, Tañada, Roxas, and Laurel. They became larger-than-life presences because of their personal magnetism, eloquence, and deep understanding of the imperatives of public office and governance.

But then that was the time when radio in our country was still an adolescent as a mass communication medium. That was the time when broadcast television was still an infant even in America, which simply transplanted democracy on the largely unprepared Philippine soil at the turn of the 20th century. That was the time when the print media still held sway as the public information medium. The mechanisms of the democratic electoral process could still grow without getting badly distorted by media-induced manipulation.

IMAGE CREDIT: FITSMALLBUSINESS.COM

When the Filipinos discovered TV and radio broadcasting, however, a monkey wrench was thrown on the country’s electoral process. Broadcast media appearance and noise became a very effective substitute for the assiduously cultivated public life. The politics of convenience and of media-induced gloss and popularity became the norm. From then on, aspirants for elective public office no longer needed to possess the intellectual capacity and aptitude it requires. All one has to do is to get sustained exposure on broadcast media, preferably television. The manner of exposure really doesn’t matter for as long as it is sustained exposure. This simple formula had gotten performers and entertainers of all stripes elected to Congress and to provincial capitols and city halls—film actors, clowns and comedians, sit-com talents, boxers and martial artists, talk-show hosts, even plain newsreaders.

There are obviously some exceptions to the rule, but look at what Philippine democracy has produced for us—politicians without political platform or ideology, elective officials who do little on top of preparing themselves for the next elections, individuals who have no true constituency or principle to stand for and fight for. Repudiating the marketing axiom so clearly enunciated in the book Positioning by Al Ries and Jack Trout —that anyone or anything that must battle for our mind must clearly “position” or define itself in the marketplace—these people have not even taken the trouble to position themselves. Most stand for nothing. Political parties adopt them largely for convenience. And only a paltry few have shown a gift for leadership and governance, fewer still those with a clear vision of their role as public servants. Many just capitalize on their media-induced popularity to attract moneyed backers or well-financed politicians who are personally unsure of their own grip of the public mind.

The sad thing is that the Philippine mass media have actually abetted this state of affairs. They have allowed not only politicians but their very own broadcast or editorial personnel to ruthlessly exploit the power of media to advance their political interests. We thus see the embarrassing spectacle of (1) TV newscasts whose newsreaders are also the commercial endorsers of products advertised on these newscasts, (2) broadcast personalities already in high public office still shamelessly extracting media exposure for themselves by keeping their old broadcast programs, and (3) officials in high elective office callously acting as commercial product endorsers on all forms of media to perpetually keep themselves in the public eye.

When will this cult of media-abetted popularity end? I’m afraid it won’t—unless we Filipinos realize that the quality of our governance will only be as good as the quality of the people we elect to public office, and unless they recognize the harm that this reign of performers and entertainers in politics is doing to us and then act in concert to end it. Until then, to expect any great progress in this country’s governance will remain an altogether nebulous notion.

The battle for our minds      

This is a condensation of the author's 820-word essay that first appeared in this column in the August 15, 2003 issue of The Manila Times.

Next: A figure of speech often used to subvert reason and logic      October 26, 2023

The European Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines (ECCP) and the Nordic Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines (NordCham) are strongly urging the country to boost efforts to halt the decline in English proficiency among Filipino employees and workers, warning that a continuing slide could hurt the country's competitiveness.

In an editorial for last Tuesday's issue (October 24), The Manila Times echoed this concern of the two foreign business groups after the Philippines slipped four notches down to 22nd place among 111 countries in the rankings of the 2022 edition of the English Proficiency Index (EPI) by the global education company Education First. The country's EPI score of 578 places it in the "high proficiency" category, a level of adequacy for tasks like making work presentations, understanding TV shows, and reading newspapers.

IMAGE CREDIT: VENTUREMANAGEMENT.NET

ECCP president Paulo Duarte said in a statement that the Philippines needs to maintain its workers' English proficiency as it is a strong competitive advantage in attracting international trade and investment. He said that the facility with the English language enhances workplace efficiency and overall business operations.

In the same vein, NordCham president Bo Lundqvist observed: "Knowing that English is one of several major advantages for Filipinos, we would encourage the government to take the necessary steps to retain and improve English language training at all levels of education, with a focus on Business English." .

Read in full The ManilaTimes editorial on "Arresting PH decline in English proficiency"!
Preposterous but scientific finding: European female
frogs play dead to avoid unwanted sexual advances

If this phenomenon in the natural world weren’t scientifically verified, it would be too preposterous to even imagine, much less to believe its truthfulness.

In an article by Veronica M. Garrido in the October 14, 2013 issue of the Spanish-language daily newspaper El Pais, the Royal Society Open Science Journal published recent research that European female frogs play dead as one of their strategies for avoiding males they don’t want to mate with.

The research shows that during the two-week mating season in spring, many individual male frogs congregate and fight one another over a particular female frog. According to Iñigo Martínez-Solano of the Biodiversity Department at Spain’s National Museum of Natural Sciences, “Females end up losing [in this scenario], as they often die.” They are drowned when the group of as many as eight frogs get on top of them during such pile-ons that are known as “mating balls.”

IMAGE CREDIT: PICTURE ALLIANCE (DPA/PICTURE ALLIANCE VIA GETTY I)
Two European frogs move through the snow to their spawning ground.
Generally the females carry the males on their backs.

The female frogs have three most common mate-avoidance strategies. The first is rotation, in the course of which the female frog attempts to turn on her own axis to escape the male’s grasp. The second is protesting with a “deep, low-frequency” growl or a higher frequency sound described as a “chirp.” And the third, final, and “most surprising” behavior is tonic immobility or playing dead.

The female frog does this by rigidly extending its arms and legs away from its body to appear dead for several minutes. The male frog typically drags the female frog that remains in a dead feint. This is until the male frog finally releases her motionless body and he turns around. Then the female frog swims away.   

Read Veronica M. Garrido’s “European female frogs play dead to avoid unwanted sexual advances” in El Pais now!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]