Author Topic: Wonderful Day!  (Read 5690 times)

shaoley

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wonderful Day!
« on: November 09, 2009, 02:41:40 PM »
Hi! My name is Shaoley. I bumped in to this site when I searched for an english forum. Just like everyone else I am here to share my thoughts and learn at the same time. 

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wonderful Day!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:54:14 PM »
Our warmest welcome, Shaoley! Yes, it's a wonderful day over here in Metro Manila. It's the first Sunday in weeks that the sun is shining oh so brilliantly, with just little wisps of cloud in the sky! We hope to see you here and hear from you often. Cheers!

Rita

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 06:01:12 PM »
Hello guys, I'm new here also, see you around guys.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 07:46:23 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Rita! I hope you'll like it here and I look forward to seeing you often in the Forum.

As to your question about studying English in London, perhaps a UK-based Forum member can answer that soon. Or can Spain-based Hill, who's knowledgeable about most things British, be of help here?

Cheers! 

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 10:41:16 PM »
So you are now in London! Back in Dec-Jan 1996 and then again in Jan, 1998, I was in London for some short courses in English ;). It was not easy going to London on tourist visa, and going there on student visa would offer you a lot opportunities. Being student there for some months, I realized that the city is so boring to live in (all streets are dark by 5 pm!!!), but a wonderul place to rediscover (relics and history). Anyways, go to Queensway, London where you could find a language school (Stanton-lots of courses with various levels), and around Hammersmith (if you are not only for learning English but also in teaching it). Being close to the inner zones (1,2) would take you to a lot of wonderful night life  :-* :-* and shopping spree. The weekend tours to other European countries or the country are also teaming with competing prizes. Oh, this is the real treasure of London-being gateway to farther places that promise wonder.  :o :o

just a penny.....madgirl

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 05:04:51 AM »
Thank you Joe, for the warm introduction. Rita, welcome to the Forum, too.
I can assure you that joining Joe's forum has been one of the most productive
and happiest four-five months of my boring life in Spain. I do live in Spain but
being married to a Brit makes the UK some kind of a second home in many many
ways. I frequent more the north of England (Cumbria, Lake District---W Wordsworth
(Poet) and Beatrix Potter (children's writer) were bornt here and of course my husband.
I was in London in February for a week's holiday and had the worst weather and blizzards
in twenty years! It was 10 degrees below zero but we had a great time. Went to see
two West End Musicals, Les Mis and Oliver since our favourite hotel is just 100 meters
away---walking distance indeed.I do have a Londoner friend who used to teach English for
foreigners but he quit---don't know why. Yes, there are some very good decent English
Academies, but there are also quite a number of cowboy, illegally-set-up so-called English schools. Make sure you enrol in one of the legitimate ones. There are so many horror stories so just be alert and don't be gullible. Be street-wise and don't get carried away by smooth-talking cockney Londoners. It's free to enter Westminster Palace and if you wish to see the PM, Gordon Brown, he's there on Wednesdays for the weekly parliamentary proceedings, for as long as you don't get bored. But it's quite an experience. There are many dirty restos too, so be vigilant. Keep yourself warm in winter and mind the pick-pockets!
See you later! :)