Author Topic: Non English majors teaching English  (Read 7013 times)

vinzvonvan

• View Profile
Non English majors teaching English
« on: November 17, 2009, 08:01:26 PM »

This is such a very informative site. I didn’t even know that I have fellow Filipinos who share their exceptional ideas in English on the web. Maybe most of us know about business process outsourcing which gave birth to call center agents and online teachers.Indeed, BPO companies provided employment for many Filipinos and I am one of them.In reality, I am a licensed Social Studies major but as of the moment, I am an online English teacher.”Why are you not teaching in a regular school” was the repeated question I heard from some of my young colleagues and former Education classmates. I would just tell them that there wasn’t an available item for a Social Studies major in government schools. Actually, I have applied twice for a teaching position in government schools but I’m not fortunate enough to get the most coveted item.

I began to dislike teaching the subject because there are so many Social Studies teachers with few items available in public schools.I decided to shift by applying in an online company and consequently teach English.My love for the language was rekindled, and began to discover that my knowledge in English was so insufficient to teach the subject to foreigners.Luckily, online companies give free trainings in grammar, accent and pronunciation to satisfy the needs of learners.Because of these trainings, I determined the difference of a classroom English teacher to an ESL (English as a Second Language) instructor.Classroom teachers focus on the rules (based on my primary and secondary school experiences)without putting into practice what they’ve taught.
Maybe because it will sound OA to listen to people speaking in English while all others converse with their native tongue.Also, students are more comfortable with their own language (anyone familiar with teen talk?).

Teaching Koreans was never my dream but it happened. I developed my communication skills and embraced technology to conduct classes.But I got weary because in an online company, a teaching license and even a degree in Education isn’t very important for as long as an applicant has a college diploma and is trainable (though some of these “teachers” can speak fluently).Forgive us for grammar mistakes in sentences,thus, we continuously study to master this part.

Now here are my concerns:

1.   Online companies are here for business.Until when are they going to invest in the Philippines?I heard some just declare bankruptcy leaving their employees’ jobless.
2.   If these non English majors can develop their communication skills with a good accent, do our own English teachers undergo trainings too?
3.   Is there a program/curriculum in school that intensifies English as our second language?
4.   Is it justifiable that we, non English majors, teach English?

To sum it all up, online teaching is good, but classroom teaching is incomparable.Talking to real students and teaching your fellowmen is honorable.Combining English with Social Studies is quite a challenge but here comes versatility.Finally, joining a forum like this is very enlightening.

renzphotography

Re: Non English majors teaching English
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »
Now here are my concerns:

1.   Online companies are here for business.Until when are they going to invest in the Philippines?I heard some just declare bankruptcy leaving their employees’ jobless.
2.   If these non English majors can develop their communication skills with a good accent, do our own English teachers undergo trainings too?
3.   Is there a program/curriculum in school that intensifies English as our second language?
4.   Is it justifiable that we, non English majors, teach English?

Hi Vinzvonvan,

I may be able to shed light on some of your concerns:

1. As how some Americans would put it "I will take while the taking is good". Some industries boom, others bust, and there are those that stand still. Right now, the BPO industry is in the limelight because very few (or no other) industry could provide the jobs and career growth at the same rate in the country in the past few years. So, if I were you, just get the most out of the career you are in because no one can tell how long this will last.

2. If you are asking about how English teachers are trained for a teaching position in schools then I think only English faculty members and English majors who have had first hand experience can address your question.

Also, if this is an indirect way of saying English teachers don't speak English very well then that is something else.

Now, if you are thinking about giving exemptions to English majors when they apply for a job like yours then I think they should consider the English training given to new recruits as a refresher course. I'm sure there might be cases when the teaching material might contradict what some English majors may have taken up in college. However, if you work for an organization you tacitly agree to abiding to company regulations; so unless you can convince the executives of the company to give exemptions I think it would be best to just swallow that bitter pill called pride and just go through the same training.

3. I'm not so sure about the situation in grade school and high school but the government (through TESDA) and some private educational institutions provide free call center training.

4. Before the Thomasites, the English teachers in the country were mostly American soldiers. Nowadays, in some Asian countries institutions have an obsession for native English speakers and they would hire these people (with little or no teaching experience) to teach the language and then pay a premium for their service. So, my answer is yes, non-English majors can teach the language--the only question is how good (or bad) will the students turn out to be.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:06:20 AM by renzphotography »

vinzvonvan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:22:50 PM »
hello to you renzphotography,

That was a brilliant analysis of my concerns.But with regards to my second statement,I don't want to offend English majors teaching in regular classrooms.I  respect their qualification,they still have to produce graduates with good communication skills.

Thank you so much! :)

madgirl09

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 09:14:28 AM »
vinzvonvan...is that a tongue twister? i am sooooo interested in debating with others about the issues you raised. hope i can have time tonight. tata!  ;)