Author Topic: Is democracy a sham in Pinas?  (Read 5697 times)

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Is democracy a sham in Pinas?
« on: December 08, 2011, 02:27:11 AM »
My  replies in four paragraphs are lifted verbatim from one of my political sites, Is Democracy a Sham in Pinas?

It's a cynical fantasy for Filipinos to think that getting rid of family political dynasties and so-called oligarchs will end. The moral sense of purpose is not the same in practice. The Filipinos cannot moan and groan and tell every tim, dick and hairy  to hate them. The oligarchs  are the powerbase, albeit a minority, but because of the  Filipinos' lack of determination to put the right people in government, the disappointment is clear to see.

The inflexibility that many have has a lot to do with their own confusion of the kind of reforms and changes they aren't even sure they know would help. Filipinos are basically good and intelligent, however, it is their lack of direction, perception and dynamism---the quiet discretion to make things happen---and convert them into nuggets of wisdom, not spite.

Political maturity comes with a mature society. There is nothing worse than banging their heads on the wall and shout, "Changes! Reforms!"The Filipinos must change first before anything else can happen. Blaming the oligarchs all the time isn't the answer, long-term. The ordinary Filipinos make up the majority but many just don't know how to make use of that power. The power is staring them in the face: the ballot box.

On Oligarchs:  It works both ways. If the ordinary Filipinos keep allowing it to happen, by voting for the same family members, then this will never stop.  The power of the ballot , or the lack of it,  has to do with the growing number of political family dynasties. The people must take responsibility for this sad state of affairs.  On the other hand, this is something that will continue  not just in the Philippines but in all countries of the world--rich and poor. The Filipinos also make a sham of the electoral process by kowtowing  to the manipulators and smooth words of the traditional political family dynasties. ;)

hill roberts

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is democracy a sham in Pinas?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:45:43 PM »
My replies here are quoted verbatim which were taken from another of my sites, Strictly Filipina: The embodiment of who we are, on, Angels and Demons:

The mindset has a lot to do with the Filipino way of interpreting their fate and faith. Somehow, when things go badly wrong for them, calling the heavenly being becomes second nature. I can't help but say that my own sister is just like them--hahaha. But what is true is, their beliefs are strengthened by the empathy of others, too. One will just have to respect their beliefs. Prayers are good when all else fails.  Frankly, some of my prayers have been answered. Certainly, if one equates an angel with a good person, then that person is an angel.

As for demons, it's all in the mind. When the inquisitive mind tells that person to ask, deceive, give, neglect or apologise, the demon in that person can either trigger negative or positive effects. No one can be a better judge  than that person exercising his/her right to behave in all sorts of ways.  After all, we can demonise someone and think nothing of it, yet we forget that we can be demons ourselves if and when we try to physically abuse or personally attack another. It's a question of why human beings can be both atrocious and well-meaning at the same time. :)