Author Topic: I'm now running "My Media English Watch"  (Read 9779 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm now running "My Media English Watch"
« on: June 20, 2009, 07:53:07 AM »
I'm now running a new section called "My Media English Watch." It's meant to help beleaguered editors and writers as well as their readers or listeners make sense of—and deal better with—the seriously fractured English grammar and semantics that sometimes creep into media stories.

My Media English Watch doesn't intend to pinpoint and dissect all of the tiny and big English usage errors that crop up daily in the major broadsheets and magazines as well as in the major national TV networks. It will only zero in on one or two of the most serious, illustrative, and instructive misuses of English in these media during a particular week. This means, of course, that the writers and editors of these media shouldn't expect My Media English Watch to do their English-usage policing for them. They have to start or strengthen their own internal English-usage watch to at least reduce if not entirely eliminate bad grammar and bad semantics in their stories or programs.

My greatest pleasure will be that day when My Media English Watch finds absolutely no serious English misuse to report.

Go to My Media English Watch now!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 08:30:31 PM by Joe Carillo »

maxsims

• View Profile
Re: A new section, My Media English Watch, starts today
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 05:05:59 PM »
Joe,

You could well start with today's (Saturday) Manila Times.

SPECIAL REPORT
Fall of economic pillar shatters complacency

The foremost question in the minds of many analysts was, where was the insuppressibly mall-loving Filipino?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
In defense of the adverb "insuppressibly"
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 10:34:08 PM »
Joe,

You could well start with today's (Saturday) Manila Times.

SPECIAL REPORT
Fall of economic pillar shatters complacency

The foremost question in the minds of many analysts was, where was the insuppressibly mall-loving Filipino?

I would have preferred to use the simpler “irrepressibly” instead of “insuppressibly” as an adverb modifier for “mall-loving Filipino,” but I think “insuppressively” is a perfectly legitimate and semantically appropriate word choice here, and I believe that such word choices are best left to the prerogative of the writer. According to my digital Merriam-Webster’s 11th Collegiate Dictionary, the adjective “suppressible” means “able to be restrained from doing a usual course of action,” and its opposite counterpart adjective is, of course, “insuppressible.” I don’t think it stands against reason, logic, and good semantics to form the adverb “insuppressibly” to create a graphic mental picture of an inveterate mall-goer, so I think it's not ill-chosen in this case at all and I would vigorously defend any writer’s prerogative to use that adverb if it delivers the precise shade of meaning that he or she wants to convey.

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:26:10 AM »
....if it delivers the precise shade of meaning that he or she wants to convey.

Joe, you may want to deliver a precise shade of meaning, but the delivery will stop at the front gate if the reader/listener is unaware that another totally unnecessary and ugly neologism has found its way into the language.

...and its opposite counterpart adjective is, of course, “insuppressible.

It could just as easily, of course, be "unsuppressible".

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 08:42:33 AM »
...another totally unnecessary and ugly neologism has found its way into the language.

This is the sort of thing you should be defending us against!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Insuppressibly" is no ugly neologism; it's at least 399 years old
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 09:31:47 AM »
...another totally unnecessary and ugly neologism has found its way into the language.

This is the sort of thing you should be defending us against!

No, Max, "insuppressibly" is an adverb worth defending, for its root adjective, "insuppressible," actually dates back to 1610. This is what the Merriam-Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary tells us:

Main Entry:insuppressible
Function:adjective
Date:1610

: IRREPRESSIBLE

And what Dictionary.com tells us:
in⋅sup⋅press⋅i⋅ble
–adjective
incapable of being suppressed; irrepressible: his insuppressible humor.
Origin:
1600–10; in- 3 + suppressible

Related forms:
in⋅sup⋅press⋅i⋅bly, adverb

And here's the American Heritage Dictionary citation for "insuppressibly":
in•sup•press•i•ble         
adj.   Impossible to suppress or control; irrepressible.
in'sup•press'i•bly adv.

As to actual usage of "insuppressively," the following passages where it is used might increase your level of comfort with it:

Bob the Angry Flower

"Bob the Angry Flower is a black-and-white comic strip that tells the exploits of an easily angered anthropomorphic flower named Bob and his interactions with the world, often in search of either global domination or love…Bob's two sidekicks are 'Stumpy' (a talking tree stump) and 'Freddie the Flying Fetus' (self-explanatory). While Stumpy's appearance and demeanour epitomise existential ennui, Freddie – as befits his tender years – is a vital and innocent spirit, insuppressibly enthusiastic and trusting; the pair provide two different counterpoints to the single-minded irascibility of the protagonist."--Wikipedia

American Justice: Politics, Myth, and Fiction (2006)

"What does the miscellany of media, modes, and genres that includes Bulworth, Parliament of Whores, and Death of a Politician have in common? Most of all, whether as dramatic fiction or satirical history, new-left yin or neo-con yang, all five works are insuppressibly political. Touching on subjects that are politically, well, touchy (to say the least), they are of more than just literary or archival interest, insofar as all are back in our millennium—with a vengeance."

Book review of Dramarama by E. Lockhart:

"And the summer goes well—at least for Demi. He, with his insuppressibly big personality, snags leading roles in the camp’s many musical productions and proves he’s a superstar. His love life is a little rocky, but finally Demi manages to land a wonderful boyfriend, with true love, vacations spent with one another, and the like."--Goodreads

So there...

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 12:46:58 PM »
....its root adjective, "insuppressible," actually dates back to 1610.

So does "thee", "thou", "thine" and "forsooth".    Do you want to resurrect those, too?
 :)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
....its root adjective, "insuppressible," actually dates back to 1610.

So does "thee", "thou", "thine" and "forsooth".    Do you want to resurrect those, too?
 :)

They are largely linguistically comatose now, of course, but they still have their uses--as in satire or playful impersonations of medieval English-speaking characters. And, of course, if you are staging a Shakespearean play, would you dare change the lines where the Bard had used those words?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:31:34 PM by Joe Carillo »

Spreen

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 04:57:41 PM »
Being one of the members in this Forum is indubitably a great thing. Wan mei (Perfect)!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for the compliment!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 07:22:53 PM »
Being one of the members in this Forum is indubitably a great thing. Wan mei (Perfect)!

Thanks for the compliment, Reagan! Hope to see you around even more often.

Have a nice evening!

Spreen

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 10:51:34 PM »
Bu ke qi (You are welcome, indeed), Sir Joe! Yes, I will keep myself online everyday in this impeccable Forum of yours, Sir Joe.  :) ;) :D