Author Topic: Looks like it’s the end of the road for My Media English Watch  (Read 7652 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looks like it’s the end of the road for My Media English Watch
« on: February 22, 2010, 01:45:19 AM »
All four of the major Metro Manila broadsheets—the Philippine Daily Inquirer, the Philippine Star, the Manila Bulletin, and The Manila Times—were remarkably free of notable grammar and semantic errors during the past two days (February 20 and 21). I don’t think I missed any significant errors in both their major and minor stories, so I’m delighted to give the current English of each of them a clean bill of health. Based on their largely error-free English performance during the past six weeks, it’s clear to me that their editors and reporters have now become much more zealous about their English. I even have this feeling that all four of them are now running a program of zero tolerance for grammar and usage errors—a happy development that’s great news for their readers and for those who care deeply about good English.

I realize, of course, that this development could be a big letdown to those who have been keenly following my grammar critiques of these broadsheets for the past eight months. Indeed, the archives of my media watch have grown into a substantial resource for English learners, but this growth can no longer be sustained now that the broadsheets are no longer providing enough grist for the mill of my media English watch. If this trend of grammar-perfect English in their pages continues, in fact, I may have to refocus my media watch to the English of the major national TV networks and other media.

In the meantime, I suggest to those looking for continuing fresh instruction in English grammar and usage to regularly visit the Forum’s “You Asked Me This Question” and “Students’ Sounding Board” sections. In place of My Media English Watch, these two sections should be able to provide enough grammar and usage instruction to the conscientious English learner on a continuing basis.

maxsims

• View Profile
Re: Looks like it’s the end of the road for My Media English Watch
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:41:11 AM »
Joe Carillo, you are joking - right?

Here is a selection taken from today's Manila Times online edition - not remarkably free of notable grammar and semantic errors:

ZAMBOANGA CITY: Government troops killed at least six Abu Sayyaf militants, including their leader, who is one of those most wanted by the United States for terrorism, in fierce clashes Sunday in Sulu province in southern Mindanao, officials told The Manila Times on Sunday.

A major seafarers’ group has scored the Maritime Industry Authority (Marina) for the agency’s failure to plug loopholes in maritime safety enforcement in the Philippines, saying that most of the memorandums it has issued were meant to put the blame for the disasters on others.

THE Philippine central bank has approved a multi-million dollar borrowing by a private consortium that is building power plants to mitigate an electricity shortfall in the country’s central regions comprising the Visayas.

“This is going to be used to address the growing demand for electricity as well as the possible energy problem in the area,” Guinigundo said.

On January 25, the Luzon grid suffered from rotating brownouts as a number of privatized power plants underwent maintenance all at the same time.

The Visayas is already enduring a supply shortfall, while the Minda-nao grid may plunge in darkness as the region sources most of its electricity from hydro facilities.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »
No, maxsims, I wasn't joking. I actually went over that issue for February 21 (Sunday) and found it—along with the rest of the leading broadsheet—"remarkably free of notable grammar and semantic errors during the past two days." Please note the emphasis on "notable." It means I only looked for evident misuse of English grammar and syntax; as in the past, I didn't bother presenting obvious proofreading or typographical errors as well as problems with styling and rhetorical construction.

Here are my specific comments on the sentences you listed as problematic:

Sentence 1: "Government troops killed at least six Abu Sayyaf militants, including their leader, who is one of those most wanted by the United States for terrorism, in fierce clashes Sunday in Sulu province in southern Mindanao, officials told The Manila Times on Sunday."

That's a needless comma after the word "leader," of course. I didn't miss it, but I let it pass as simply a proofreading error that didn't need a formal critique.

Sentence 2: "A major seafarers’ group has scored the Maritime Industry Authority (Marina) for the agency’s failure to plug loopholes in maritime safety enforcement in the Philippines, saying that most of the memorandums it has issued were meant to put the blame for the disasters on others."

I don't see any possible bone of grammar contention in this sentence except for its use of the plural "memorandums." Were you thinking that it should be "memoranda" instead? Well, my Merriam-Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary accepts both "memorandums" and "memoranda" as standard correct usage.

Sentence 3: "The Philippine central bank has approved a multi-million dollar borrowing by a private consortium that is building power plants to mitigate an electricity shortfall in the country’s central regions comprising the Visayas."

I don't see any grammar problem with it. Did I miss anything there?

Sentence 4: “'This is going to be used to address the growing demand for electricity as well as the possible energy problem in the area,' Guinigundo said."

I don't see any grammar problem with this quote. It may sound redundant, but that's in the nature of off-the-cuff quotes and it really isn't a grammar problem. I therefore think it's good journalistic policy to let things be in such cases.

Sentence 5: "On January 25, the Luzon grid suffered from rotating brownouts as a number of privatized power plants underwent maintenance all at the same time."

Absolutely no grammar problem, unless you have something in mind that I fail to see.

Sentence 6: "The Visayas is already enduring a supply shortfall, while the Mindanao grid may plunge in darkness as the region sources most of its electricity from hydro facilities."

Also no problem that I can see.

So maxsims, except for that needless comma in the first sentence—one that we can charitably attribute to proofreading error—I believe my contention still stands that the four leading Metro Manila broadsheets for those two days were indeed remarkably free from notable grammar and semantic errors.

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 06:33:59 PM »
Writing can be grammatically perfect but still fail to answer the deadliest question in the English language:   What does it mean?

Sentence 1: "Government troops killed at least six Abu Sayyaf militants, including their leader, who is one of those most wanted by the United States for terrorism, in fierce clashes Sunday in Sulu province in southern Mindanao, officials told The Manila Times on Sunday."

"..at least six..."?    Don't the government troops know?   After all, six is not a huge number, and, you would expect, easily confirmed.     And talk about a plethora of proper nouns in one sentence!

Sentence 2: "A major seafarers’ group has scored the Maritime Industry Authority (Marina) for the agency’s failure to plug loopholes in maritime safety enforcement in the Philippines, saying that most of the memorandums it has issued were meant to put the blame for the disasters on others."

Unless Filipinos have an idiomatic definition of "scored" (criticised?), this sentence makes no sense.   Also, can you have loopholes in safety enforcement....or is it the legislation he should be referring to?

Sentence 3: "The Philippine central bank has approved a multi-million dollar borrowing by a private consortium that is building power plants to mitigate an electricity shortfall in the country’s central regions comprising the Visayas."

The "Philippine central bank" sounds like a commercial entity to me and thus should be accorded the caps due to proper nouns.    I am uncertain of the geography here, but are the Visayas the only areas that make up the central regions?

Sentence 4: “'This is going to be used to address the growing demand for electricity as well as the possible energy problem in the area,' Guinigundo said."

If the possible energy problem is not the same as the growing demand for electricity, then what is the possible energy problem?

Sentence 5: "On January 25, the Luzon grid suffered from rotating brownouts as a number of privatized power plants underwent maintenance all at the same time."

All at the same time?

Sentence 6: "The Visayas is already enduring a supply shortfall, while the Mindanao grid may plunge in darkness as the region sources most of its electricity from hydro facilities."

It's not the grid that will plunge into darkness, it's the long-suffering customers!    Also,  the sentence obscures the cause and effect explanation by using "...as the region..." instead of "because the region..."

Again, I am unsure of the geography, but is not Visayas a plural?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:50:24 AM »
You’re absolutely right, maxsims: “Writing can be grammatically perfect but still fail to answer the deadliest question in the English language: What does it mean?” As you know very well, this is because writing isn’t just vocabulary, grammar, syntax, and sentence structure. Those are just the bare-bones foundations of writing; they need to be mastered, of course, but they can’t guarantee good writing. Good writing is a much more exacting discipline, a heightened quality of mind and thought, a demanding art form like good architecture and good music. The raw materials may be there, like steel beams, concrete, and wood for structures, or notes and lyrics for a song or a concerto, but the builder must still build the structure, the singer must still sing the song, or the orchestra must still perform the concerto. In writing, too, the final measure is the quality of the performance—the clarity and readability of the written work.

So, when I said in my earlier posting that the four major Metro Manila broadsheets were remarkably free of notable grammar and semantic errors, I wasn’t commenting on the quality of their writing at all. Far from it. The tentative clean bill of health I gave was only for their English grammar and syntax, not for the accuracy, clarity, and readability of their reporting; I can only do so much in My Media English Watch. My critiques are focused primarily on news stories, feature articles, and opinion pieces whose English grammar and syntax I find wanting; indeed, they totally ignore the better written or excellent narrative or expository pieces produced by those broadsheets from day to day.

Of course, it’s greatly to be desired for the written output of these broadsheets to be not only totally free of vocabulary, grammar, and syntax errors but also to be scrupulously clear, accurate, and readable. That, however, is the responsibility of the writers and their editors themselves. They owe it to their readers. However, we must also be mindful of this limitation of newspaper journalism: it is writing history or literature in a hurry. We therefore can only hope that the newspaper writers and editors would exert greater efforts to achieve not only good English but good writing as well.

Now to answer your specific questions about the journalistic prose you listed: 

Sentence 1: “Government troops killed at least six Abu Sayyaf militants, including their leader, who is one of those most wanted by the United States for terrorism, in fierce clashes Sunday in Sulu province in southern Mindanao, officials told The Manila Times on Sunday."

Your comment: “..at least six...”? Don’t the government troops know? After all, six is not a huge number, and, you would expect, easily confirmed. And talk about a plethora of proper nouns in one sentence!

My reply: Having briefly covered the military beat myself during my newspaper days, I know that reporters have to rely largely on the military’s pronouncements on such matters as the number of casualties in battle. The enterprising or intrepid reporter may choose to go to the battlefield to verify the numbers, or perhaps check with the other side of the conflict, but that would be a foolhardy thing to do if the hostilities are still raging. For day-to-day news reporting, it’s therefore much wiser to rely on the military’s figures and just to make sure that the claims are properly attributed.

As to the “plethora of proper nouns in one sentence,” it’s par for the course in journalistic reporting. Armchair grammarians can complain against them to high heavens every day, but what I know is that the typical reporter is under great pressure to deliver the four W’s and the H of the news in the lead sentence of the story. Under less punitive circumstances, however, the same reporter may be able to come up with a news feature or straight feature where that “plethora of proper nouns in one sentence” is more evenly distributed in the course of the narrative, but then that’s another story altogether. 

Sentence 2: “A major seafarers’ group has scored the Maritime Industry Authority (Marina) for the agency’s failure to plug loopholes in maritime safety enforcement in the Philippines, saying that most of the memorandums it has issued were meant to put the blame for the disasters on others.”

Your comment: Unless Filipinos have an idiomatic definition of "scored" (criticised?), this sentence makes no sense. Also, can you have loopholes in safety enforcement....or is it the legislation he should be referring to?

My reply: Yes, for good or bad, Philippine journalism has a strong predilection to use the verb “scored” for “criticized.” However, my digital Merriam-Webster’s 11th Collegiate Dictionary defines “score” as “berate,” “scold,” also “denounce” (Def. 3), so I think we have to let things be.

As to your second question, I don’t know the answer. In any case, we are dealing with an attributed paraphrase of a statement and the standard rule in journalism is not to fudge that statement even if its logic is not totally airtight.

Sentence 3: “The Philippine central bank has approved a multi-million dollar borrowing by a private consortium that is building power plants to mitigate an electricity shortfall in the country’s central regions comprising the Visayas.”

Your comment: The “Philippine central bank” sounds like a commercial entity to me and thus should be accorded the caps due to proper nouns. I am uncertain of the geography here, but are the Visayas the only areas that make up the central regions?

My reply: I agree with you that “Philippine central bank” sounds like a commercial entity and is better accorded the caps due to proper nouns, but there really is no such entity in the Philippines. The official name of its central bank is the Tagalog term “Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas,” and its direct translation should really be “Central Bank of the Philippines.” In English-language reporting, therefore, it has become standard for Philippine media to use the more straightforward “Philippine central bank,” using lower-case letters for “central” and “bank.” I really see no problem with that.

Geographically speaking, yes, the Visayas does constitute the country’s central region. I must acknowledge, though, that the use of “central” in this context in that sentence doesn’t sit in well with the use of “central” in the context of the “Philippine central bank” earlier in that sentence. It dangerously gives the wrong impression that the “Philippine central bank” is meant to service the “central regions” of the Philippines and not the Philippines as a whole. Perhaps it would have been semantically safer to avoid using the word “central” in the relative clause of that sentence, as in this reconstruction: “The Philippine central bank has approved a multi-million dollar borrowing by a private consortium that is building power plants to mitigate an electricity shortfall in the regions comprising the Visayan islands.” More concise, clearer—and more accurate.

Sentence 4: “‘This is going to be used to address the growing demand for electricity as well as the possible energy problem in the area,’ Guinigundo said.”

Your comment: If the possible energy problem is not the same as the growing demand for electricity, then what is the possible energy problem?

My reply: When I was a newspaperman, I learned not to argue with the logic of direct quotes like this; I was taught to allow for a little superfluity in words for the sake of cogency or local color. I think that reasonable prescription still applies to this day.

Sentence 5: “On January 25, the Luzon grid suffered from rotating brownouts as a number of privatized power plants underwent maintenance all at the same time.”

Your comment: All at the same time?

My reply: That’s what happened, as far as I can gather—hence the pesky rotating brownouts in Luzon. (Based on the latest news, though, relief is already in sight.)

Your comment: It’s not the grid that will plunge into darkness, it’s the long-suffering customers! Also, the sentence obscures the cause and effect explanation by using “...as the region...” instead of “because the region...”

Again, I am unsure of the geography, but is not Visayas a plural?

My reply: You are right that strictly speaking, it’s not the grid that will plunge into darkness, but neither will it be “the long-suffering customers” that will plunge into darkness. By definition, the noun “grid” means “a network of conductors for distribution of electric power,” but it has become idiomatic in Philippine journalism to use the term “grid” for the area covered by the electric-power distribution network itself. I really don’t see much problem with the semantics of that term; in fact, it helps simply exposition.

I also agree with you that “because” would be a better subordinating conjunction than “as” in that sentence, and I would wholeheartedly recommend the use of “because” in most other sentences of that kind. In journalism, however, the use of “as” for cause-and-effect” is so heavily favored by reporters and editors—it's perceived as more professional and cosmopolitan—that it would probably take a deluge or a perpetual power outage to make them shift to “because.”

The term “Visayas” is a singular collective noun that refers to the Visayan Islands. It is correctly used in the singular in that sentence, but it can also be both notionally and grammatically plural, as in “The Visayas consist of the islands of…”

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:57:41 PM by Joe Carillo »

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
Sentence 5: “On January 25, the Luzon grid suffered from rotating brownouts as a number of privatized power plants underwent maintenance all at the same time.”

Your comment: All at the same time?

My reply: That’s what happened, as far as I can gather—hence the pesky rotating brownouts in Luzon. (Based on the latest news, though, relief is already in sight.)

You miss the point, which is that "all" is superfluous.

"...but neither will it be “the long-suffering customers” that will plunge into darkness."

Then who will plunge (correctly, be plunged) into darkness?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:53:52 PM by maxsims »

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 03:40:48 PM »

The use of "all" in the phrase "all at the same time" is for emphasis, and I believe it's pretty standard and idiomatic. Some people prefer the sentence to be lean and mean so they knock off "all" as a redundancy. That's OK, too; some of the drama in the statement is lost, but no matter.  8)

Part of my comment: "...neither will it be “the long-suffering customers”

Your question: Then who will plunge (correctly, be plunged) into darkness?

It will neither be "the Mindanao grid" nor "the long-suffering customers." Obviously, it will be Mindanao itself, which is the area being served by that grid. :)   

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 05:14:23 PM »
And the electricity-buying residents of Mindanao are not the long-suffering customers?

It will be neither....nor...   I think.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 07:22:31 PM »
Not in this case, maxsims, where I'm using "neither" as an adverb:

"You are right that strictly speaking, it’s not the grid that will plunge into darkness, but neither will it be 'the long-suffering customers' that will plunge into darkness."

Here's what my digital Merriam-Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary says about this usage:

neither
Function: adverb
Date:1551

1 chiefly dialect   : EITHER  <are not to be understood neither — Earl of Chesterfield>
2 : similarly not  : also not  <just as the serf was not permitted to leave the land, so neither was his offspring — G. G. Coulton>

What this means, of course, is that "neither" need not be followed by a "nor" to work correctly in a sentence. It's enough that "neither" is preceded by a "not" phrase as in the case of the sentence above.

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 01:36:26 PM »
We are at cross-purposes here, and it's my fault for being obscure.   Sorry.    I was actually making two distinct and separate points; unfortunately, they are physically adjoining in the text in question.

1.  You claimed, in reply to my earlier query, that it would not be the long-suffering customers who would be plunged into darkness.   Rather, you said, it would be Mindanoa itself.    And then I asked: are not the electricity-buying residents of Mindanoa the long-suffering customers?   And then I should have added, "and into what will they be plunged when all their lights go out?"

2.  The "neither...nor..." I was referring to was:  It will neither be "the Mindanao grid" nor "the long-suffering customers.    It's the conventional wisdom in Oz (and other places) that, in "either...or..." constructions, the words introduce like terms or unlike terms, decided by the position of the first verb; eg

You can take either the train or a taxi. (like means of transport)

cf

You can either take a train or use your feet. (unlike modes of transport)

The same wisdom applies to "neither...nor..." constructions, which would make your phrase, "It will be neither the Mindanoa grid nor the long-suffering customers."

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 02:30:42 PM »
Just a few points about your rejoinder:

1.  You claimed, in reply to my earlier query, that it would not be the long-suffering customers who would be plunged into darkness.   Rather, you said, it would be Mindanoa itself.    And then I asked: are not the electricity-buying residents of Mindanoa the long-suffering customers?   And then I should have added, "and into what will they be plunged when all their lights go out?"

OK, I think we have reached a satisfactory closure here. Simply for spelling correctness: "Mindanao" should spelled with the "a" before the "o" in the last syllable, which is then pronounced like "-naw" as in the English "now."

2.  The "neither...nor..." I was referring to was:  It will neither be "the Mindanao grid" nor "the long-suffering customers.    It's the conventional wisdom in Oz (and other places) that, in "either...or..." constructions, the words introduce like terms or unlike terms, decided by the position of the first verb; eg

You can take either the train or a taxi. (like means of transport)

Of course, this sentence can also be constructed this way:

You can either take the train or take a taxi. [The verb is repeated]

cf

You can either take a train or use your feet. (unlike modes of transport)

And this sentence can also be constructed this way:

You can take a train or use your feet.  [No need for "either" to establish the alternatives]

The same wisdom applies to "neither...nor..." constructions, which would make your phrase, "It will be neither the Mindanoa grid nor the long-suffering customers."

That's right, but as the Merriam-Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary shows, another way to construct that sentence is this:

"It will not be the Mindanao grid, and neither will it be the long-suffering customers."

English is wonderfully flexible in this respect so long as parallelism is maintained in expressing the two alternatives or options. 

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 03:33:17 PM »
Agreed.

In constructions with three elements, I was taught that the correct sequence is "not...neither...nor...", but it's been many a long year since I've seen it.

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 03:35:52 PM »
By the way, I posted the above at 3.33 pm your time (confirmed by a Filipino friend), but your website insists that it's 4.33.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 07:05:33 AM »
Yes, our US-based host-server was registering time one hour ahead of Manila time. This was because it adjusted for one hour of Daylight Saving Time last year and my webmaster was unable to adjust the time setting for our Philippine-based website accordingly. We have now made the adjustment. Thanks for bringing the matter to our attention.

maxsims

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 08:06:12 AM »
I knew you were getting ahead of yourself!     ;D