Author Topic: Modifiers  (Read 3527 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Modifiers
« on: August 23, 2015, 02:29:37 PM »
Am I right that this sentence is poorly constructed?

Judging from how persons with disabilities (PWDs) in Moldova can still study, defend themselves, and live independently, the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) reported that the said country ’has made significant strides to further advancing the rights of children and adults with disabilities in the country’.

If so, would this rewrite make it right?

Judging from how persons with disabilities (PWDs) in Moldova can still study, defend themselves, and live independently, the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) was able to report on how the said country ’has made significant strides to further advancing the rights of children and adults with disabilities in the country’.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Modifiers
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 05:52:11 PM »
No, I'm afraid that your rewrite didn't make that statement any better. The first version that plainly "reported" the quote gives the sense that the CRPD did it matter of factly, without exerting any extra effort beyond the routine. In contrast, the second version that uses "was able to report..." conveys the misleading impression that the CRPD encountered some difficulty or hindrance in doing so. That's such a big difference in sense, which in a very real sense makes the second version a misrepresentation of how the CRPD rendered that report.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 01:50:55 PM »
Oh, my...

How about this one, Sir?

Moldova ’has made significant strides to further advancing the rights of children and adults with disabilities in the country,’ the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) reported.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
We have a situation here. When you presented your first rewrite of that passage, you said you did it because you felt that it was poorly constructed. My response was that your rewrite didn't make that statement any better, and I made it clear that there was nothing wrong with the passage to begin with. Now you came up with another rewrite and you are asking me for my opinion about it.

I do think that your rewrite is grammatically and semantically airtight, but I think the more fundamental question to ask is this: What’s your reason for rewriting it? That must be clear in our minds when we set out to rewrite anything, particularly when it is grammar-perfect and semantically and structurally sound as it is. As they say, “When it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” The only legitimate reason I can think of for doing a rewrite in that situation is when we want to seamlessly incorporate a passage into an exposition of our own, in which case the passage might need to be tweaked somewhat to link smoothly to a preceding statement in the exposition, then to segue as smoothly to a succeeding sentence or paragraph that we have in mind. What this means in practical terms is that for a rewrite to be meaningful, it has to be done and presented showing the actual passage that comes before it and the actual passage that you have mind to follow it. In short, we shouldn’t rewrite just for rewriting’s sake. We shouldn’t rewrite in a contextual vacuum and, as I earlier said, we should do so only with a clear purpose for the rewrite that we have in mind to do.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 01:40:40 PM »
I'm sorry. I had thought my original construction was wrong.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:49:26 PM by Miss Mae »