Author Topic: we vs. we will  (Read 4411 times)

siben

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
we vs. we will
« on: October 07, 2012, 10:48:39 PM »
Hello Mr. Carillo!

Is "amidst the rough seas, we keep on sailing" grammatically correct? Shouldn't it be "amidst the rough seas, we will keep on sailing?" Thank you and more power to you and to your forum!

Siben

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: we vs. we will
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 09:54:54 PM »
Yes, “Amidst the rough seas, we keep on sailing” is grammatically correct. It’s a present-tense description of an ongoing action, “sailing,” that’s being undertaken under an adverse condition for it. Grammatically, it’s an indicative sentence denoting a simple fact. In contrast, “Amidst the rough seas, we will keep on sailing” is a declaration of intent to continue “sailing” despite the adverse condition for it. It’s a modal sentence denoting not a simple fact but a firm desire to do the indicated action.

siben

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 04:44:11 PM »
Then this means Sir, that the second statement is a stronger one compared to the first?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 06:18:23 AM »
No, not necessarily. The fundamental difference between an indicative statement and a modal statement is not in strength. The difference is in the factuality of an indicative statement and in the intent, conditionality, or probability of the modal statement.

Among the modals themselves, however, there are definitely differences in strength--for instance between "will" and "would" and "shall" and "might." We can see and feel this difference in strength between "I will do it no matter what" and "I would do it if you tell me to do it," and between "I shall return" and "I might return." The strength of intent, conditionality, or probability is what constitutes the modality of the statement.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:45:08 AM by Joe Carillo »