Poll

Which verb do I use for the compound subject in this sentence?

are
1 (20%)
is
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Is or Are?  (Read 11306 times)

english editor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Is or Are?
« on: January 17, 2012, 09:56:58 AM »
Dear Sir,

Greetings!

May I please be enlightened as to which verb is the correct one to use here:

There (is, are) cake and some balloons in the house.

We have a compound subject here and my first impulse is to use "are." However, I am confused: I do not know if I should add "a" before "cake" (There is a cake and some balloons in the house) or use "are" (There are cake and some balloons in the house). In the first place, should "cake" be treated as a non-count noun here?

Thank you very much.

English editor

RaymondRussell

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is or Are?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:00:38 PM »
It should be is because the cake is a singular word and using in a present continuous tense. So, I think Is is the correct option.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 07:21:28 PM »
RaymondRussell is correct that the verb should be the singular "is" in the following sentence construction:

“There (is, are) cake and some balloons in the house.”

However, his explanation for the use of the singular form of the verb in that sentence—that it's because "cake" is a singular word and that the verb is in the present continuous tense—misses out on the real reason from a grammatical standpoint.

Let me explain this seemingly counterintuitive usage in some detail.

We are all familiar with the basic subject-verb agreement rule that when the subject consists of two singular nouns or pronouns connected by “and,” the verb should take the plural form to agree with the compound subject, as in this sentence: “The husband and his wife are on vacation.” But what happens when “there” introduces a compound subject consisting of a singular noun and a plural noun? Shouldn’t the verb consistently take the plural form considering that it has a compound—hence obviously plural—subject?

The construction presented by English Editor uses the so-called “anticipatory ‘there’ clause,” with the pronoun “there” functioning as the anticipatory subject. In such constructions, “there” carries little or no independent meaning but simply points forward to the notional subject that’s placed later in the sentence for reasons of end weight or emphasis. In this case, there are actually two subjects—the singular “cake” and the plural “balloons”—forming a compound subject.

Some grammarians maintain that in anticipatory “there” constructions, the verb should take the singular form when the first noun of its compound subject is singular, as in this sentence: “There is shame and dishonor in being found unfit for public office.” Indeed, that sentence would be syntactically defective and would read badly if the plural “are” is used: “There are shame and dishonor in being found to be unfit for public office.” When the first noun of the compound subject is plural, however, the verb obviously should take the plural form: “There are contrary views and an affirmative view.”   

For this reason, I find the following proximity rule for such sentences clearer and more practical: In “there is”/ “there are” sentences, the verb should agree with the number of the noun or pronoun that immediately follows the verb. So, in the sentence in question, since the singular “cake” immediately follows the verb, that sentence should be constructed as follows:

There is cake and some balloons in the house.”

In the construction above, it’s assumed that several cakes are referred to collectively, so “cake” is treated as a noncount, notionally singular noun. But if the speaker specifically has in mind only one cake—say one big birthday cake—then that sentence could very well use “cake” as a countable noun preceded by the article “a,” as follows:

There is a cake and some balloons in the house.”

Following the proximity rule, of course, the verb will take the plural form if the plural “balloons” is what immediately follows the verb:

There are some balloons and a cake in the house.”

RELATED POSTING:
The wisdom of routinely avoiding anticipatory “there is/are” clauses
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:43:05 AM by Joe Carillo »

english editor

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 07:54:50 AM »
Thank you very much, sir! You've been such a great help.

Gornur9

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • R4
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »
Sometimes I find the grammar of English quite rare and strange.

charlesbrown678

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »
Dear Sir,

Greetings!

May I please be enlightened as to which verb is the correct one to use here:

There (is, are) cake and some balloons in the house.

We have a compound subject here and my first impulse is to use "are." However, I am confused: I do not know if I should add "a" before "cake" (There is a cake and some balloons in the house) or use "are" (There are cake and some balloons in the house). In the first place, should "cake" be treated as a non-count noun here?

Thank you very much.

English editor

correct use is "There is cake and some balloons in the house."

Are is applicable if the sentence is "There are cake and balloons in the house."

The use of word "some" is making restriction that you cannot use a plural with these words as verb.

cowmess

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 01:36:35 AM »
I've the same problem! :) Thanks for help.

dieti

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Dieti
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 08:01:34 PM »
How about if the word balloons is first , before cake.In this sentece we should user "are" - correct ?

janymoore50

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 03:20:23 AM »
ther is cake and balloons in the house
this is right

randyosbourneman

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 03:37:32 PM »
Is this a question? Of course you should use "is" because it's pretty obvious that the cake is "singular". You can use "are" if you have more than one cake.

davidflower7782

• Initiate
    • MSN Messenger - daviflower7782@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - davidflower7782
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - davidflower7782
    • View Profile
    • Lift chair recliners
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 02:30:07 PM »
It should be is because the dessert is a unique concept and using in a existing ongoing anxious. So, I think Is is the appropriate choice.

pincho

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 03:23:31 PM »
That was a very helpful information, thank you. I made the same mistake many times before.

pfarth

• Initiate
  • To which, are you?
    • View Profile
    • Bouncy Castle Hire
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 09:31:43 PM »
Is, or are..
Id rather say 'will be'

manuelfilipe

• Initiate
    • MSN Messenger - me_nando@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photographer
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 01:02:56 AM »
depends what tense your talking in. Will be is future, is/are is present. :)