Author Topic: A case of grammar déjà vu  (Read 6354 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
A case of grammar déjà vu
« on: August 08, 2009, 12:27:49 AM »
My experience was nothing less than a case of déjà vu, which, of course, is French for “a feeling that one has seen or heard something before.”

Let me tell you why:

When the funeral procession of the late former President Corazon Aquino was about to pass Rizal Park on the way to Manila Memorial Park last August 5, one of the network TV reporters covering the event approached a parked minibus loaded with women, all in yellow dress. The TV reporter was saying words to this effect: “These women went here all the way from Tarlac to pay their respects to Tita Cory.” (Oh, I told myself, that guy wrongly used “went here” instead of “came here,” but I’m sure it’s just an isolated mistake; he will realize it soon enough and will make sure he won’t make the same mistake again.)

The TV reporter then thrust his portable microphone towards the women and proceeded to interview them in Tagalog. Afterwards, he faced the TV camera and recapitulated his reporting in English, again saying words to this effect: “So out of their love for their Tita Cory, these women went here all the way from Tarlac despite the distance and great inconvenience.” (Oh, oh, I told myself, the guy has wrongly used “went here” instead of “came here” twice in succession, so I’m sure now that he still doesn’t know the semantic difference between “go” and “come” and their various inflections depending on tense. True enough, I caught him make the same mistake the third time during that particular moment in his coverage.)

But, you must be wondering by now, why did I say that this was a case of déjà vu?

Well, as I recount in the first chapter of my book Give Your English the Winning Edge, it’s because I had actually witnessed an uncannily similar event and grammar situation in 2005 during the wake of the late Jaime Cardinal Sin, who as everybody will remember was instrumental along with Cory Aquino in bringing about the 1986 People Power Revolution.

Here’s my account of it in the book:

“For us to better appreciate the gravity of the problem, I would like to cite two serious cases of bad English usage that I had come across in the mass media. The first was during a field newscaster’s live coverage of the wake for a notable Roman Catholic prelate for one of the major English-language TV networks. The newscaster confidently said on camera: ‘The President will go here and is expected anytime now.’ The mistaken usage of ‘go here’ being so obvious, I felt so sure that the newscaster would immediately correct himself and use ‘come here’ the next time around. But he remained blissfully unaware of the gaffe; in fact, he actually used ‘go here’ instead of ‘come here’ four or five more times in similar fashion when he referred to other high officials expected at the wake. It was a clear-cut case of basic English grammar not yet learned even at such an advanced stage in the TV reporter’s professional life (I think he was already approaching his mid-30s).

“So perhaps this is as good an opportunity as any to clarify once and for all when we should use ‘go’ or ‘come.’ Most of us already know, of course, that it depends on the point of view and position of the speaker or listener. For a movement away from the speaker, listener, or those referred to by the statement, we need to use ‘go’: ‘Let’s go to the bank tomorrow.’ ‘They will go to the park whether we like it or not.’ ‘We will go to Europe next summer for a change.’ On the other hand, for a movement towards or approaching the place where the speaker is, we need to use ‘come’: ‘Please come here at noon tomorrow.’ ‘We came to discuss the changes in the contract.’ ‘They are coming here tonight to help us plan the homecoming party.’ There’s really nothing so difficult about that, is there?”

Now, let me say that the only difference between then and now is that the TV reporter during the late Cardinal Sin’s wake wrongly used the present-tense “go” instead of using the present-tense “come,” and that the TV reporter at the late Cory Aquino’s wake wrongly used the past-tense “went” instead of the past-tense “came.” (No, if the thought somehow occurred to you, the TV news reporter then isn’t the same TV news reporter now—which makes at least two of them needing a refresher lesson on the verbs “come” and “go.”)

Anyway, just to make sure that the same momentous glitch in our TV coverage grammar history doesn’t repeat itself for the third time, let’s clarify the usage of “come” and “go” once and for all:

Come:
Use “come” for the present tense, and “came” for the past tense, “will come” or “is/are coming” for the future tense, and “have/had come” for the perfect tenses in the case of a movement toward the speaker, listener, or those referred to by the statement, we need to use ‘go’:

Present tense:  “The women come to Manila to shop.”
Past tense:       “The women came to Manila to shop.”
Future tense:    “The women will come to Manila to shop.”
                        “The women are coming to Manila to shop.”
Perfect tense:  “The women have/had come to Manila to shop.”

Go:
Use “go” for the present tense, and “went” for the past tense, “will go” or “is/are going” for the future tense, and “have/had gone” for the perfect tenses in the case of a movement away from the speaker, listener, or those referred to by the statement, we need to use ‘go’:

Present tense:  “The women go to Manila to shop.”
Past tense:       “The women went to Manila to shop.”
Future tense:    “The women will go to Manila to shop.”
                      “The women are going to Manila to shop.”
Perfect tense:   “The women have/had gone to shop.”

Amen.

Even worse than bad English syntax

It looks like apart from losing grip on English syntax, the reporting of some print, broadcast, and online media even took a morbid turn during the funeral rites for the late Philippine President Corazon Aquino last August 5. I suppose we can all blame it to mental fatigue and to the infectious grief-cum-euphoria over the momentous event.

Read “Morbid media mix-up: ‘Gloria Aquino’ is dead” in the Philippine Daily Inquirer

-----
What do you think of the state of English usage in the Philippine media today? Has it improved or has it worsened? Why do you think so? Click the Reply button to post your thoughts on Jose Carillo’s English Forum.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:27:45 AM by Joe Carillo »

maxsims

• View Profile
Re: A case of grammar déjà vu
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 04:13:02 AM »

When I was a schoolboy (admittedly not in the recent past) the tense of the above sentence was called the present indicative.   This is because the sentence is essentially describing what the women are doing at the present, i.e. going to Manila.    If you drop the words "to Manila", only then does the sentence takes on an undeniably future aspect.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Clarification about the present indicative
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »

When I was a schoolboy (admittedly not in the recent past) the tense of the above sentence was called the present indicative.   This is because the sentence is essentially describing what the women are doing at the present, i.e. going to Manila.    If you drop the words "to Manila", only then does the sentence takes on an undeniably future aspect.

I think I can see the nuance that you are describing about the present indicative. It’s from the point of view of an observer witnessing an unfolding event and describing it at that precise point in time. What I know, though, is that this particular tense is called the present progressive tense, and that it takes an undeniably future aspect not if you drop any information about the action (for example, dropping “to Manila” as you suggest), but only if you modify the verb with an adverb of future time like, say, “tomorrow” or “on Sunday,” as in these sentences: “The women are going to Manila tomorrow to shop.” “The women are going to Manila on Sunday to shop.” Without an adverb of time, we could take the sentence “The women are going to Manila to shop” to be either in the future tense or in the present progressive tense, depending on the speaker’s point of view. I took the future aspect of that sentence construction in the example I gave. We can be absolutely certain about that future aspect, though, if an adverb of future time is supplied.

As for the present indicative, Max, it is—as I’m sure you know—none other than the simple present tense itself, the tense we use for describing present events. The indicative is, of course, one of the three general moods of verbs in English, mood being that aspect of the verb that expresses the state of mind or attitude of the speaker toward what he or she is saying. These three moods are the indicative mood, the imperative mood, and the subjunctive mood. Both the indicative and the imperative moods deal with actions or states in factual or real-world situations. The subjunctive mood, on the other hand, deals with actions or states only as possible, contingent, or conditional outcomes of a want, wish, preference, or uncertainty expressed by the speaker.

The indicative, as I explain in Chapter 77 of my third book, Give Your English the Winning Edge,  is the most familiar and most commonly used of the three moods. It conveys the idea that an act or condition is (1) an objective fact, (2) an opinion, or (3) the subject of a question. Statements in the indicative mood seek to give the impression that the speaker is talking about real-world situations in a straightforward, truthful manner. And from a usage standpoint, indicative statements have one very reassuring aspect: their operative verbs take their normal inflections in all the tenses and typically obey the subject-verb agreement rule at all times.

Here are indicative sentences stating an objective fact: “The Philippines is the world’s second largest labor exporter, next only to Mexico.” “Most manufactured consumer products are now being made in China.” Indicative sentences stating an opinion: “Our client seems uninterested in the survey findings.” “We believe that the accused will eventually be acquitted of all the charges.” And indicative sentences posing a question: “Who used my computer this morning?” “How do you justify this change of plan?”

I hope that this has clarified the point you raised about the present indicative and the three moods of English verbs in general.