Author Topic: Was and were  (Read 4720 times)

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
Was and were
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »
Am I just wrong, Sir? This paragraph is from a news story of a foreign publication.

It was a game the UAE were expected to win to qualify second, behind Iran, to whom they lost 4-1, in Group B. "Bahrain are a strong team from what I have seen of them but I am very hopeful we have the stuff to win this game," said Ajenoui, the Moroccan-born Portuguese who took charge of the defending champions a month ago.

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Was and were
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 10:23:27 AM »
No, you are not wrong; it’s only that like most Filipinos, you are accustomed to reading American English, where a noun denoting a group, team, company, or organization is considered singular in form. The paragraph you quoted is evidently from a British publication or from a publication in a country that uses British English. As a rule in British English, a group noun is considered plural in form. This explains why that sports story used the plural past-tense form “were” for the group noun “UAE,” which, of course, is a reference to the team of the United Arab Emirates. So with the use of the plural present-tense form “are” for the Bahrain team.

So, when reading something published in countries that use British English, we must mentally recalibrate our subject-verb agreement prescriptions with respect to group nouns. They must always be reckoned as plural in form.

Miss Mae

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 02:22:19 PM »
Thank you for considering my question even though I forgot to make it clear. Guess I really need to buy a British dictionary soon.

maryam77

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Jewellery guide Australia
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 10:39:03 AM »
Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. A lot of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

kanchan

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 05:12:15 PM »
Nice reply................

supercard

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • http://cellphonetrackers.org
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 05:35:45 PM »
i have known this.
Check this out for your perfect game experience http://www.r4dskarte.com.

TashaHawking

• Initiate
  • http://www.righttocancel.com/
    • View Profile
    • mortgage litigation
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »
"Was" is used if you subject is singular. "Were" is used if your subject is plural or you have a compound subject (more than one subject...two or more subjects). I was at the mall-I is singular: one person. They were at the mall-They is pural: more than one person. Claire is happy-Claire is singular: one person. Claire and Paige are happy-Claire and Paige is a compound subject: more than one subject...two subjects. There are exceptions, though. For example, if the subject is you. You were there. It's singular, yet you use were instead of was. It's confusing, but you'll get the hang of it!
Test question for you: One of the people (was/were) tired.
I love writing and publishing content for the victims of mortgage litigation. Pm me should you have any questions about it.

darelle

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 02:47:38 PM »
Well I plan to buy a British dictionary soon...

Quite17

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • R4 3DS
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »
Test question for you: One of the people (was/were) tired.

One of the people was tired.

I understand by this way:
One person is tired.
This person is in the people group.