Author Topic: “Cyborg” writer predicts integration of humans, machines, and the Internet  (Read 7687 times)

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
A writer who is himself a cyborg of sorts—a tiny computer had been embedded in his skull to restore his hearing—has come up with a compelling book where he speculates that humanity will eventually evolve into a mass cyborg consisting of a worldwide network of computer-mediated minds. In World Wide Mind: The Coming Integration of Humanity, Machines, and the Internet (Free Press, 242 pages), technology theorist Michael Chorost proposes that humanity can incorporate the computer into its collective soul in a way that enhances communities and creative work instead of diminishing them.                                                   

Dr. Chorost, who went completely deaf in 2001 and had a cochlear implant in his head so he could hear again, says the experience of becoming part computer had actually made him more human. This became the theme of his first book, Rebuilt, where he recounts how the cochlear implant enabled him to enhance his creative potential. This time, in World Wide Mind, he envisions that a networked brain implant could connect people together in a concretely physical way, and at such high bandwidths that they might begin to interact like the two hemispheres of an individual human brain. “Such a linkage,” he says, “would upend the primordial assumption that I am Self, you are Other; that I am In Here, and you are Out There. The challenge to one’s identity would be terrifying but also thrilling, risky but also empowering.”

In “Imagining a World of Total Connectedness, and Its Consequences,” a review of World Wide Mind in the February 14, 2011 issue of The New York Times, Katherine Bouton says she finds the author’s curiosity about neuroscience technology and optogenetics research “contagious.” She says: “Michael Chorost is not only a clear and concise science writer, but also a visionary. The coming integration of humans and machines may be a bit further off than he thinks, but he convinced me that we will get there someday.”

Read excerpts from Michael Chorost’s World Wide Mind in The New York Times now!

Read Katherine Bouton’s review of World Wide Mind in The New York Times now!

Read Sue Halpern’s “Mind Control & the Internet” in The New York Review of Books now!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Michael Chorost is an American writer and teacher. Born with severe loss of hearing due to rubella, his hearing was partially restored with a cochlear implant in 2001. He subsequently wrote a memoir of that experience, Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human, which won the PEN/USA Book Award for Creative Nonfiction in 2006. He earned his B.A. at Brown University and studied computer programming, Renaissance drama, and cultural theory to earn his Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin. He has written for Wired, The Futurist, The Scientist, and Technology Review.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:20:00 AM by jciadmin »

Alek

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
"A writer who is himself a cyborg of sorts—a tiny computer had been embedded in his skull to restore his hearing—"

"Had been", Joe?     Is it not still there?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
As I’m sure you know, the word “embedded” can be taken to mean either as a verb or as an adjective to denote a continuing state or condition. Of course that tiny computer is still embedded in the author’s brain (“it’s still there,” as you would have it), but that adjective sense isn’t the sense I wanted to convey. I used the past perfect form “had been embedded” to indicate that the embedding was done at some unspecified time in the past. Are you telling me that there’s a caveat against that usage in your neck of the woods? I’d be dismissive of your English grammar from then on if that’s the case.

Alek

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Joe, I simply rely on the on-line Merriam-Webster (your adopted standard, I believe) which says of the past perfect: 

Definition of PAST PERFECT
: of, relating to, or constituting a verb tense that is traditionally formed in English with had and denotes an action or state as completed at or before a past time spoken of.

I know of nobody else who would use your "had been" in place of the appropriate "was".   All the people I showed your par to concluded that the tiny computer had likely been removed after doing its task.    One of them questioned the clause, the experience of becoming part computer had actually made him more human, asking "What did he become after that?"

I must say that I object to your "agree with me or be dismissed" attitude to my contention in this matter.  Perhaps, before you dismiss my grammar, you may wish to revisit your very own "can be taken to mean either as a verb...etc"....?

Alek

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
I will take your silence as an admission of error. 

While you are in contemplative mood, you may wish to explain to your readers the following extract I discovered in "Readings" of July 2010:

"....hit the right idea with its plans to set up an Academy of English—one modeled after the Académie Française, which for nearly 400 years had rigorously policed which words are allowed into official French."

Are you telling them that the Academie no longer polices (rigorously or otherwise) the French language?   Or that it no longer exists?

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I wish you weren't so presumptuous, Alek! My silence isn't an admission of error at all. It's simply that I'm currenty doing a very hectic swing of the state of Sabah with my wife for a four-day social visit, going to so many places with very limited or no Internet access. Right now I'm in an Internet cafe somewhere in Lahad Datu dashing off a flight confirmation for my return trip to Kota Kinabalu tomorrow for my flight to Clark in the Philippines. Right after this, I have to make a run for a luncheon engagement with some Malaysian friends. Sorry that I can't engage in grammar talk at the moment. But as Elisa Doolittle sang in Lerner and Loewe's My Fair Lady, "Just you wait!" I'll reply to your comments here and elsewhere in this Forum by Wenesday morning. Just be patient with a man frenetically on the run in another land! Bye for now!

Alek

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Don't rush - I'm on my way to the Highlands!

Joe Carillo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
I stand by my usage of the past perfect in this sentence of mine:

“A writer who is himself a cyborg of sorts—a tiny computer had been embedded in his skull to restore his hearing—has come up with a compelling book where he speculates that humanity will eventually evolve into a mass cyborg consisting of a worldwide network of computer-mediated minds.”

This usage of the past perfect form “had been embedded” is meant to indicate that the embedding was done at some unspecified time in the past. The simple past tense would be called for—I’d say grammatically mandated—if the precise time of occurrence is specified, as in this construction of that sentence:

“A writer who is himself a cyborg of sorts—a tiny computer was embedded in his skull in 2001 to restore his hearing—has come up with a compelling book where he speculates that humanity will eventually evolve into a mass cyborg consisting of a worldwide network of computer-mediated minds.”

It’s true that, as Alek quoted with great relish, the Merriam-Webster’s 11th Collegiate Dictionary defines the past perfect as “of, relating to, or constituting a verb tense that is traditionally formed in English with ‘had’ and denotes an action or state as completed at or before a past time spoken of,” but any English-speaker who really knows his grammar should know that this is simply the vanilla definition of the past perfect tense—in other words, the basic, doctrinaire usage drilled into English learners’  heads in primary school. In actual usage of the past perfect, however, the later past action used as reference for the earlier action need not be stated in the sentence if the context is clear.

Below, for instance, is the past perfect tense in its vanilla form:

“The vodka mix had been shaken before it was served to the guests.”

Because the later action, “it was served to the guests,” is obvious in that sentence, it can simply be implied in the following past perfect construction:

“The vodka mix had been shaken.”

Taken out of context and served all by its lonesome as Alek would have it, that sentence can also be constructed in the simple past tense, as follows:

“The vodka mix was shaken.”

It would be a different matter, of course, if the time frames and events need to be specified in detail in a narrative account as part of, say, an investigation of a crime. In that case, it would be mandatory for the unfolding past actions to be stated in the simple past tense, as in the following example:

“The vodka mix was shaken at precisely 5:30 p.m. before it was served to the guests at 6:30 p.m. At 6:45 p.m., one of the guests fell ill, his mouth frothing.”

The use of the past perfect in my sentence in question is pretty standard in English journalism and in both fiction and nonfiction narratives, so I am intrigued why Alek—who in another, earlier guise in this Forum had given me the impression that he was such a persistent scourge of the bad English of Australian newspapers that they decided to ban him from their op-ed pages (a feat that he actually took great pride in)—and his grammarian friends seem to be woefully unaware of it.

One more grammar issue needs to be settled before I rest my case on this matter. Alek asked in his usual smart-alecky, condescending way: 

“Had been”, Joe? Is it not still there?”

To find out to his total satisfaction, I suggest to Alek that he read Michael Chorost’s World Wide Mind: The Coming Integration of Humanity, Machines and the Internet in its entirety. But this I can tell Alek now: regardless of whether or not Chorost’s cochlear transplant is still in his skull, it wouldn’t really make a difference to the grammar of my sentence that he (Alek) had taken issue with.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:34:11 PM by Joe Carillo »